Average tip - Gas attendant- Grocery store... Average cost of labour.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
your that lazy you cant bring the water yourself ?

Nope, I am busy running between two schools doing the banking, lots of administration, fixing numerous things, changing light bulbs, buying ham and cheese for tostados, making sure the teachers have what they need for the students. We have 54 employees and 800 plus students. I also take a lot of kids back and forth for assessments...etc. Also in the process of building, so the Colmado gladly delivers the water and I gladly tip the delivery boy. I clean all my windows every saturday before our weekly trip to Santiago.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Ok now.

No one needs to justify anything here.

Way to go there Bob. Seems like you are a very busy person.

Let's move on. Nice topic. :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I tip grocery boys a minimum of RD$35, maybe 50 if we park a long way away or if it's a heavy load. They seem fine with that.

Since 10% is already added at restuarants, I'll tip an additional 5 and maybe 10% if the service is good.

We'll give RD$10-20 to street people IF they seem unable to do any real work. Sorry, the guy who lost a leg does not count, nor the Haitian with the rental baby. Elderly and infirm get it.

We will occasionally give maybe RD$50-100 to people looking for donations for operations if they seem legit, and to kids raising $$$ for a special school activity.

If we have time, we'll get the car washed at some charity event, maybe RD$200.

I'll tip the water guys RD$50 because they will lug eight-ten 5g jugs into the house, two at a time, and maybe two upstairs.

I'll tip the gas station attendant RD$50 if he cleans the front and back windows, and checks the fluids, and maybe "keep the change."

I pay my handyman RD$500 just to come to the house, and $200hr. for any work he does. He comes on a moment's notice when needed. We both win.

I'll maybe pay a "watchee" of the car RD$50, more if it's a legitimate vendor say at Carnival.

I'll tip a delivery guy from restaurants or pharmacies RD$50.

WE always make sure we have RD$25 coins and RD$50 bills available.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don’t tip the gas dudes unless they clean the windows or help me with something. Clean the windows 10 pesos-
25 depends on my mood and what I have on me.

Bag guys I tip 10 pesos even if it’s for a can of pop. If it’s a lot of stuff 20-25pesos. If they bring it to my car it depends but usually the same. (I rarely have them bring my stuff to the car, I can’t stand that)

If we buy huge water jugs at a store where he has to lug them about we tip the guy 5 pesos a bottle.
Restaurants I tip at least 20% even if the tip is included bc I don’t trust the severs will get it. I way over tip a lot of the time I was a server so I know how hard it is!
Take out I tip as well, probably 20%. If I can’t tip well I won’t eat out.

The small shops that have tip jars I always put change in.

The parking guys I usually give 25- 50 pesos. I’m cheap on that one, they used to drive me crazy bc there is no need for someone to watch my car here. No one seems to break into cars which I find odd!
When I get haircuts I usually tip 100-200 pesos but I cut my own hair usually.

I won’t usually give money when people ask for it, I am strict about that unless it’s old people, then sometimes I will give 100 pesos here or there.

Motos I sometimes tip as well, i rarely use them though.

Few enough breakins....
but what they do is steal pieces off the car... including wheels & tires
Mirrors....

they are experts...

always use a parking lot or have a watchy....
ONCE - I made the mistake of not..... $300 of stuff gone.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
Restaurants Eat In. : I used to do percentages , but have come around to accepting the advice of my fiancee and now just give : $100 pesos to $400 pesos depending on service and who the person is. The $400 pesos level is when the waiter/waitress is also a regular customer of our stores.

Restaurant Takeout/Cafe/Ice cream Shop: 10 to 50 peso

Serviceman / Handyman etc : $100 pesos on top of the charge

Delivery : 10-50 pesos , eg. we give 50 pesos to the delivery people of our boxes from Awilda Shipping but as low as $10 pesos to the colmado delivery

Bag boys : Whatever coin change I have that is less than 25 pesos, if I dont have any small change I don't tip

Gas Attendant: Never

The guys that bother us at the traffic lights to clean windows : 10 pesos if they continue to clean windows even after I put on wipers (not because they deserve it, but it's the safest way)

Barber: $200 pesos (customer of ours)

Hair Salon : Fiancee tips $50 pesos (not a customer of ours)

Carwatchman : if he is there when we return $25 to $100 pesos depending on time we were away

Airport Baggage guy : $200 pesos

This is a very interesting thread, I'll keep following it to see how you guys tip. I know my tipping has definitely evolved over time.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Few enough breakins....
Mirrors....

they are experts...

I almost laughed when I read this. Who steals off of cars? lol,
experts? my ass, what they are is opportunist.

I thought you flew by helicopter to all of your local destinations here in the DR?

Had no idea you owed a vehicle, learned something new this evening.
I know a few guys here in Santiago who are looking to sell
wheels & tires Mirrors.... PM if ya interested.

Few enough breakins....
Mirrors....

they are experts...

To me here it s a non Issue, as where I come from there were car break ins NON STOP so I NEVER left things in my car EVER bc if you leave it, it will be stolen, hence I don’t need anyone watching my piece of crap car with nothing in it.
I pay them now just bc they help my wife out a lot.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013

That seems like a lot for a barber. I get that he is also a customer. How much is the haircut? Do you get a shave too? eyebrows and ears included?

Is it a fancy place in a mall or one of the 10 sq feet barber shops with no running water?

thx.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I almost laughed when I read this. Who steals off of cars? lol,
experts? my ass, what they are is opportunist.

I thought you flew by helicopter to all of your local destinations here in the DR?

Had no idea you owed a vehicle, learned something new this evening.
I know a few guys here in Santiago who are looking to sell
wheels & tires Mirrors.... PM if ya interested.

Danilo and I both have choppers
But neither of us can afford the gas so they’re rarely used

Everyone knows about car thieves
Look closely at the wheels on many SD cars
An screw locks the cover of the wheel lugs
Mine has them and that’s why I only lost the mirrors
Housings and glass itself.... infuriating

Tough driving in SD with no side mirrors

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Years ago I used to tip the barber. The price has gone up so no more tipping the barber.

What's the difference between a European and a canoe?

A canoe tips.

MINNEAPOLIS-250706-141223.JPG

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Restaurants Eat In. : I used to do percentages , but have come around to accepting the advice of my fiancee and now just give : $100 pesos to $400 pesos depending on service and who the person is. The $400 pesos level is when the waiter/waitress is also a regular customer of our stores.

Restaurant Takeout/Cafe/Ice cream Shop: 10 to 50 peso

Serviceman / Handyman etc : $100 pesos on top of the charge

Delivery : 10-50 pesos , eg. we give 50 pesos to the delivery people of our boxes from Awilda Shipping but as low as $10 pesos to the colmado delivery

Bag boys : Whatever coin change I have that is less than 25 pesos, if I dont have any small change I don't tip

Gas Attendant: Never

The guys that bother us at the traffic lights to clean windows : 10 pesos if they continue to clean windows even after I put on wipers (not because they deserve it, but it's the safest way)

Carwatchman : if he is there when we return $25 to $100 pesos depending on time we were away

Airport Baggage guy : $200 pesos

This is a very interesting thread, I'll keep following it to see how you guys tip. I know my tipping has definitely evolved over time.

I gave the squeegee kid in POP 25 peso he gave it back no thank you! And respectfully left to another car I was shocked to say the least :0

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

That's the important part: if you're going to give them something, do it when you return. Often, they take the money and then disappear if you give it when you arrive. I always say "If you and the car are both here when I get back, I'll give you something". Then it's 25 pesos max.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Danilo and I both have choppers
But neither of us can afford the gas so they’re rarely used

Everyone knows about car thieves
Look closely at the wheels on many SD cars
An screw locks the cover of the wheel lugs
Mine has them and that’s why I only lost the mirrors
Housings and glass itself.... infuriating

Tough driving in SD with no side mirrors

Just curious. Was that day or night? Well trafficked area?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Overnight in SD... the Zona.

I had done it before - not used the garage - in the winter.
More night activity 'in season'

The hotel warned me about the inactivity...
but of course I was too smart for that.....

They tried to pry off the wheel lug covers...
luckily the prior owner was an SD resident & had them screwed on.

Tires & wheels disappear regularly - they tell me....
Mirrors surprised me... and I had them folded in !!!

In college my friends' Trans-Am was robbed of the wheels/tires
left neatly on blocks in his driveway.

A pain... but the insurance company paid.

2 nights later....GONE
seems they wanted the new stuff
no blocks 2nd time... flat on the ground !!

I have heard of this scam before....
double duty theft

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
That seems like a lot for a barber. I get that he is also a customer. How much is the haircut? Do you get a shave too? eyebrows and ears included?

Is it a fancy place in a mall or one of the 10 sq feet barber shops with no running water?

thx.

300 pesos ( so that’s 200 pesos tip) Nothing fancy about the barber shop but he’s good and it does include a hot shave . I don’t do eyebrows but I’m sure if I asked it wouldn’t be a problem.
He is located in Sosua (el batey) , so his pricing reflects the market demographics I.e it is straight gringo pricing. I personally don’t have a problem because I am sure he could spend all those dollars elsewhere but he chooses to spend some with us . And our store prices are not exactly dirt cheap! So it’s all good !

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
I was a tocano before, now I am a tipper, tip often, especially poor elderly or poor kids, the shoeshine boy shines my shoes he gets 100 pesos