Average tip - Gas attendant- Grocery store... Average cost of labour.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I was a tocano before, now I am a tipper, tip often, especially poor elderly or poor kids, the shoeshine boy shines my shoes he gets 100 pesos
While I do not tip the shoe shine boy 100 pesos, I do give more than the 25 pesos that he quotes. While it represents a personal decision, 50 pesos works, as it comes to USD$1 for an honest job.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Personally- I have never been quoted a price....

Always up to me to decide

Tourist zones are different - I guess

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
For the horrible customer service you receive here 80% of the time. I tip NADA except pizza delivery to make sure I get mine delivered first. I save all the money I would use to tip and buy dog food for the stray dogs.

sosuadr

Aug 17, 2014
Post from today ([platyero baggers) brings home a point:

Baggers no longer allowed to `help` in stores here in the DR because `law` is if your working you need to be paid. :(

This is :( sadly NOT a step in the right direction (This also applies to those in first world with minimum wages)

Business do not offer more and more services and pay more and more people for the business they already have. yearly profits drop, there are costs of living and greater costs for insurance, thefts, law suits etc... The easiest way to be competitive is to simply not hire more people, and do not give out raises. IF the business does not survive then there is no work for anyone. please read on and understand...

We must help educate tourists, and other non Dominican people about life here. Also applies to around the world.

We can encourage entrepreneurs to work for tips like this (and they are not the only examples or those that work for free) or we can indirectly force them to life of begging or crime.

It seems a better world to tip small amounts to everyone providing a service vs being robbed, harassed or made to feel guilty.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
For the horrible customer service you receive here 80% of the time. I tip NADA except pizza delivery to make sure I get mine delivered first. I save all the money I would use to tip and buy dog food for the stray dogs.

how does a guy shining your shoes give you poor customer service? or the guy bagging your groceries?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed
I find I get decent to good service on the whole....

No complaints
Attitude and expectations have a lot to do with it

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Danilo and I both have choppers
But neither of us can afford the gas so they’re rarely used

Everyone knows about car thieves
Look closely at the wheels on many SD cars
An screw locks the cover of the wheel lugs
Mine has them and that’s why I only lost the mirrors
Housings and glass itself.... infuriating

Tough driving in SD with no side mirrors

I got a ticket for no side mirror. A local ran a red light on his moto and tool it out with his face. I had insurance, but apparently it was gringo fault insurance. I had to pay for his bike to be fixed and his lost time from workl etc even though he ran a stop sign, and later I got a ticket because I had no side mirror!
Derfish

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Post from today ([platyero baggers) brings home a point:

Baggers no longer allowed to `help` in stores here in the DR because `law` is if your working you need to be paid. :(

This is :( sadly NOT a step in the right direction (This also applies to those in first world with minimum wages)

Business do not offer more and more services and pay more and more people for the business they already have. yearly profits drop, there are costs of living and greater costs for insurance, thefts, law suits etc... The easiest way to be competitive is to simply not hire more people, and do not give out raises. IF the business does not survive then there is no work for anyone. please read on and understand...

We must help educate tourists, and other non Dominican people about life here. Also applies to around the world.

We can encourage entrepreneurs to work for tips like this (and they are not the only examples or those that work for free) or we can indirectly force them to life of begging or crime.

It seems a better world to tip small amounts to everyone providing a service vs being robbed, harassed or made to feel guilty.

Say it's not So? At least not so at La Cadena in Gazcue? The baggers used to put the groceries in the cart and roll them behind for the two blocks to my place - then Carry all the bags up to the Third Floor!! It made living there So Much Easier! And certainly they got at least 100 pesos. I always found that taxi drivers would carry bags in - etc.. Contrary to others who have complained about service in the DR, I found that most service there was ExtraOrdinary! But perhaps it varies according to town/place.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Say it's not So? At least not so at La Cadena in Gazcue? The baggers used to put the groceries in the cart and roll them behind for the two blocks to my place - then Carry all the bags up to the Third Floor!!......
yeah MA, it was great. When I had the apartment in Gazcue I was about six blocks from La Cadena. They didn't use the carts you shop with but a stand up version which they would tilt back and roll on two wheels. They would wheel the cart to my building, put the cart on the elevator and unload the groceries on my kitchen counter. I tipped 150 to 200 pesos. It would have cost me 150 pesos for a taxi plus I would have to load and unload, so to me it was a no brainer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
MA & BB
I agree completely

I read the 'poor service' comments and wonder .... ???? Huh ?

People seem more than happy to help...often unsolicited help !!!

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Gas attendant: 0 unless he cleans the windows, then 10 pesos
Bagger: 0 unless he carries bags to car, then 10-25 pesos
Restaurants: Don't start that one! But usually 10%
Casual labour: 100 pesos per hour
These may not seem high, but I'm not American and the recipients always seem quite happy.

Are you deliberately trying to tip the least amount possible?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I got a ticket for no side mirror. A local ran a red light on his moto and tool it out with his face. I had insurance, but apparently it was gringo fault insurance. I had to pay for his bike to be fixed and his lost time from workl etc even though he ran a stop sign, and later I got a ticket because I had no side mirror!
Derfish

I would have driven away like Mr Magoo, and said no fui yo if anyone bothered to ask you.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
What about the Colmado? Water delivery is one tip and other smaller items (beer, rum, an onion)?

Mine charges for water delivery. But I pay the kid another 50 pesos for putting it in its dispensor when he struggles it thru the door.
Derfish