Average tip - Gas attendant- Grocery store... Average cost of labour.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Hermanos villar 25 pesos at their refill place 45 peso at the colmado. 10 peso tip for delivery

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
How much does a bottle of water cost now?

Santo Domingo centro 75 pesos, I buy two at a time.

Hermanos villar 25 pesos at their refill place 45 peso at the colmado. 10 peso tip for delivery

whoa, big difference. The colmados in my area all charge 75 pesos and not gringo pricing. I can see 25 pesos at Villar Hnos refill as there is no handling involved but that requires a vehicle to go pickup. It is still dirt cheap when you consider you pay 10 pesos for a small bottle (16oz).

What do you peeps pay for ice? I usually get half bag or little less as I don't have a lot of freezer space and they charge me 25 pesos.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
How much does a bottle of water cost now?

Jarabacoa 45 for one type, and 50 pesos for Aqua Pena. My MIL pays 25 pesos to the guy that fills her bottles from unmarked bottles from who knows where, probably one of several artesian wells that people have access to here.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
whoa, big difference. The colmados in my area all charge 75 pesos and not gringo pricing. I can see 25 pesos at Villar Hnos refill as there is no handling involved but that requires a vehicle to go pickup. It is still dirt cheap when you consider you pay 10 pesos for a small bottle (16oz).

What do you peeps pay for ice? I usually get half bag or little less as I don't have a lot of freezer space and they charge me 25 pesos.

I pay 60 pesos delivered and installed in my dispenser. Here in Puerto Plata. Slip him another 40 pesos for his service in delivery etc..
Derfish

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I pay 60 pesos delivered and installed in my dispenser. Here in Puerto Plata. Slip him another 40 pesos for his service in delivery etc..
Derfish

That makes me feel better you paying 60 pesos. LOL I am paying 75 delivered but as always things cost more in my area of the capital. The colmado, guess you could call it that, I get the water from I have seen bathrooms in houses larger than this place. You stand at the counter on the sidewalk and place your order. Sometimes three workers (family) behind the counter and they are bumping into each other. Although tiny they still have to sell at the current price of the larger colmados or they out of business.

So I get delivered 2 bottles at 75 each and a 50 pesos tip................... Save it on the tip is too high as I see guys dropping 100 pesos tip at the bar for one beer only cuz the barmaid is sexi.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

watch it, bb. no more harsh words about Hermanos Villar...

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I get my bottles filled from a truck that passes for 30. If I get from a Colmado its 65 (I get a delivery every 4 months or so to get a clean bottle). I don't let the delivery guys in my apartment. They deliver to the door. I tip 10 every few Colmado deliveries and don't tip the water truck guys.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Thats me. I guess I'm pure Dominican now. I tip 10 pesos for water delivery but only get water from Colmado every 4 months or so. I get water from a truck that passes by for 30 pesos and they leave the bottles outside the door. No tip. Food delivery from Colmado every few deliveries I give 10 pesos but not every delivery. I could not afford that.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I don't tip the barber (I get my hair cut by my barber who sets up his shop on the corner of my street). It's his business so never tip the owner (hair cut is RD$150). I don't give street people money. But if I have some extra cash I will give the Colmado RD$20 to make the person a sandwich and bottle of water from an anonymous person (I don't want them to know it is from me).

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I don't tip the barber (I get my hair cut by my barber who sets up his shop on the corner of my street). It's his business so never tip the owner (hair cut is RD$150)..........

too funny, same type of barber I go to. His shop? is set up right there on the sidewalk with a tarp overhead for bad weather. He charges 200 RD for haircut, shave, and mini facial. I tip 50 and his smile can be seen half way round the world.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
too funny, same type of barber I go to. His shop? is set up right there on the sidewalk with a tarp overhead for bad weather. He charges 200 RD for haircut, shave, and mini facial. I tip 50 and his smile can be seen half way round the world.

I made a post about it on my Gringa blog. It's too funny. All the guys that work at Los Molinos sit there shaking their heads in approval as I get cut. I might be the only lady that gets her hair cut at the barber. Much cheaper than the beauty salon. Sometimes if I have a chata I'll give him a swig ob my run from the flask. The guys love that. lol.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I made a post about it on my Gringa blog. It's too funny............

Yes indeed, quite unique. The simplicity of things. I guess I tip just cuz the barbershop is a cool place. Sit, get haircut and watch everyone walking up and down the street.

Of course there are the evening checker games and these games are NOT for amateurs.

2n17xvq.jpg

2q1z71v.jpg

2r4662t.jpg

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My wife tips everyone in the DR very generously. I complained at first but over time I see how she is treated.
You would think she was the queen of England.
Everybody in town knows her.
She even tips the Amet guy at the end of our street. When we pull up to the very busy intersection her "friend" instantly stops all the traffic so we can go through.
It is a dangerous intersection and DR drivers never let us in so its nice.
For a time I thought, wow, she certainly has a lot of friends.
Why not do it if you can?
My wife has her own money and tipping helps out folks who have less and makes things very friendly.
All the airport baggage guys know her and fight over who get her luggage. They ignore me.
I see it all as a relatively inexpensive thing that makes her happy.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
how does a guy shining your shoes give you poor customer service? or the guy bagging your groceries?

I avoid wearing shoes that need to be shined.

And the grocery baggers always use 57 bags for 49 items.