Average wage in DR not enough for basic family budget

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is usually a discrepancy in the comparisons. That explains certain things between what is published in the newspaper about this topic and what is seen. One of the most obvious is comparing the salary of one job with the average cost of a canasta familiar (familiar aka household with the average have multiple salary earners and/or more than one salary per earner). Not to mention that quite often it'd done to the average cost of the canasta familiar when its split in levels depending on the class, since consumption patterns isn't the same.

For many years there was another problem when it came to comparing the unemployment figure of the DR vs other countries. The comparison was often not valid because the DR presented one type of data when most other countries presented another type. Both types were always measured by the Dominican Central Bank, but what was often published as the "official one" was not what was most often used by other countries. As a consequence, the DR almost always appeared as having among if not the highest unemployment rate in Latin America, which was basically a lie because it wasn't comparable. A few years ago they switched the official data to reflect the methodology used in most countries and now it turns out the DRdoesn't have among the highest unemployment rate in Latin America. Except in certain crisis, that was always the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: campesinadeatl

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010

:rolleyes: Wow so insightful, I had never thought that people were poor in the 3rd world. It changes everything for me now.

How can I change this from a systematic perspective, obviously with a gender neutral lens ? The current situation is so problematic

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
:rolleyes: Wow so insightful, I had never thought that people were poor in the 3rd world. It changes everything for me now.

How can I change this from a systematic perspective, obviously with a gender neutral lens ? The current situation is so problematic

The Republica Dominicana is a wealthy country, problem is that the people at the top keep all the money for their own greed and shaft the people at the bottom

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The Republica Dominicana is a wealthy country, problem is that the people at the top keep all the money for their own greed and shaft the people at the bottom

Well said:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It's also an age thing. When I was under 35 BS like that was important. Now, not so mu

The paca clothes and the salon trip would not make a difference. So, yeah, they are allowed-and deserve-to look semi decent and enjoy life whether they are 20 or 75.

And, I love and respect that part about here.

And if I were poor with nearly 0.000001% of coming out of it, I would cherish my romito even more.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The age old formula is alive and well here......keep the one that runs the family ( female ) Barefoot, uneducated. pregnant, and poor... and with little hope of these things changing........

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Yet they somehow managed to be able to go to the salon and buy beer and rum,

They also choose to eat Platos del Dia, meanwhile, could afford to eat at any restaurant you and I pick for dinner......oh the euphemism on that is astonishing even to me.

Some will get it, some will flip like a toston.

:sneaky:

Reactions: rfp

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
They also choose to eat Platos del Dia, meanwhile, could afford to eat at any restaurant you and I pick for dinner......oh the euphemism on that is astonishing even to me.

Some will get it, some will flip like a toston.

:sneaky:

Geez- this got distorted. What was said was that Plato del Dia isnt just for poor people. The real poor folks cant even afford that . In any event it was a fun chat

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
How could it not be enough?

A condo Guard makes 23K per month, that is not cheap change...... just rhetorical, just rhetorical.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
You now, if you read newspapers and official reports, or message boards like this one, you may have the impression that 99,9% of the country are poor people who get the minimal salary and only some government officials, businessmen and drug dealers are rich.

But when I drive around Santo Domingo, I see thousands of expensive SUVs everywhere. I see more new Lexuses, Prados, Lincolns and Porsches than I have seen in any US or European city. IKEA is full of people buying something, there are long lines and they all spend thousands of pesos. Their parking lot is always full, half of all vehicles are expensive SUVs. Supermercados Nacional, Jumbos, La Sirena.... any hour, they are full of people buying something. It looks like nobody is working, everybody is shopping. Every time I park at Nacional in Naco, I see at least three or four cars that cost more than 100,000 dollars, other vehicles are new models of Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wranglers, Mercedes, etc. And if you go to Blue Mall, their parking lot looks more like a luxury car exhibition.

I went to the Marmotech store yesterday. It's the most expensive store selling luxury tiles, marble floors, and other materials like that. Most of materials are imported from Europe, prices are crazy high. Both levels of parking were totally busy, not a single space available to park! I spent 15 minutes waiting until somebody left. The store was full of customers, I had to wait 15 minutes to be attended by somebody.

There are so many towers in construction in Naco and Piantini now. The construction here did not slow down during Covid, it speeded up like crazy! And the more expensive they are, the faster they sell! Constructora Cumbre built several towers in my area, prices in their building start from around 400,000 dolars for apartment on lower floors, and up to 700.000 for higher floors or penthouse. And they were all sold at the time they built the basement.

WHO ARE ALL THOSE PEOPLE who spend money on all of that? They can't be all government officials, or drug dealers, or baseball stars, or big business owners, right? They can't be the ones who earn 10,000 or 20,000 pesos per month either.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
WHO ARE ALL THOSE PEOPLE who spend money on all of that? They can't be all government officials, or drug dealers, or baseball stars, or big business owners, right? They can't be the ones who earn 10,000 or 20,000 pesos per month either.

That is exactly who they are.

There are so many towers in construction in Naco and Piantini now. The construction here did not slow down during Covid, it speeded up like crazy! And the more expensive they are, the faster they sell!

Laundry mat

Every time I park at Nacional in Naco, I see at least three or four cars that cost more than 100,000 dollars, other vehicles are new models of Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wranglers, Mercedes, etc. And if you go to Blue Mall, their parking lot looks more like a luxury car exhibition.

100% in agreement.

While at the meantime there a literally thousands walking miles at the time to get to their working places, that is after taking two or three public cars or guaguas from their respective barrios.

I went to the Marmotech store yesterday. It's the most expensive store selling luxury tiles, marble floors, and other materials like that. Most of materials are imported from Europe, prices are crazy high. Both levels of parking were totally busy, not a single space available to park! I spent 15 minutes waiting until somebody left. The store was full of customers, I had to wait 15 minutes to be attended by somebody.

None of them would be living in Capotillo, Luperon, Los Praditos, Los Guandales