Avoiding Overstay Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Well Bobby boy as pointed above it could be deemed as unfair that I should have to pay since overstaying was beyond my control however you sound like you are flush with cash so I reckon $16,000 pesos from your pocket change should cover it and I’ll promise to go to confession after associating with them, hows that grab ya Bobstar?
Send me a picture on your yacht with proof you own it and lines up, and I will VENMO you $16K pesos, I smell a winey old codger that can not afford an overstay fee.

el justo

Mar 6, 2020
The best way to escape the DR without paying the overstay fee is to get residency.
I have investigated this path but i Am reliably informed you still have to pay any outstanding overstay fees before being granted residency. Can anyone confirm this?

Reactions: It wasn't me

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have been out thru Haiti on a Friday market day, no border control, arrived back in Santo Domingo 3 months later and was forced to pay the previous overstay fee before entering. Mofos 😂
Yes, but you were not talking about returning to the DR and I was referring going to another country.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have investigated this path but i Am reliably informed you still have to pay any outstanding overstay fees before being granted residency. Can anyone confirm this?
I'm sure you're right and you can't apply for residency here anyway. That was just my advice for those whom don't want to pay overstays in the future.

Reactions: aarhus

el justo

Mar 6, 2020
Send me a picture on your yacht with proof you own it and lines up, and I will VENMO you $16K pesos, I smell a winey old codger that can not afford an overstay fee.
It’s tempting to send you a foto of some old codger sitting at the captains wheel of his yacht with his proof of ownership but I too have a sensitive snout and can smell you’re a bullshitter from way back. Let’s make it $50,000 and I’ll get out of bed to rip you off Jajajaja 😂

seriously Bobby where did you come up with I own a boat? Strange bobstar!

Reactions: It wasn't me

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
It’s tempting to send you a foto of some old codger sitting at the captains wheel of his yacht with his proof of ownership but I too have a sensitive snout and can smell you’re a bullshitter from way back. Let’s make it $50,000 and I’ll get out of bed to rip you off Jajajaja 😂

seriously Bobby where did you come up with I own a boat? Strange bobstar!
If you had $50,000 then paying $16,000 (or whatever the appropriate amount) on an overstay fee wouldn't be causing you this much anxiety.

• Haha
Reactions: Tamborista

It wasn't me

Banned
Jan 1, 2022
location, location, location
I have been out thru Haiti on a Friday market day, no border control, arrived back in Santo Domingo 3 months later and was forced to pay the previous overstay fee before entering. Mofos 😂
I understand that they're supposed to, and have depending upon the timeline and if the rules are actually being enforced, collected the overstay fee at the Hatian border as well. I've never had to thankfully.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you had $50,000 then paying $16,000 (or whatever the appropriate amount) on an overstay fee wouldn't be causing you this much anxiety.
He is clearly a broke expat struggling to put food on the table living off his monthly SSA checks.
RD50K is not exactly much of a wager anyway, I can chase CL futures and make that in a mouse click.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well Bobby boy as pointed above it could be deemed as unfair that I should have to pay since overstaying was beyond my control however you sound like you are flush with cash so I reckon $16,000 pesos from your pocket change should cover it and I’ll promise to go to confession after associating with them, hows that grab ya Bobstar?
16,000 pesos is less than 300 $US. There have been flights out for well over a year.

It wasn't me

Banned
Jan 1, 2022
location, location, location
It isn't an overstay fee, it is a fine for remaining illegally in the country.

Why do people think that because they were unable to leave they should get a free pass?
It amounts to the same thing. Now that there is finally an legal way to extent the original tourist visa you may be more correct but since there has never been any issue, for anyone ever ;) it had been perfectly acceptable with no downside for people to simply stay and then pay. Unless one needs a Dominican drivers licence or wishes to work in la RD legally there has been little to compel most people to take the next steps, apply for and get residency, and a cedula and DL, and avoid the overstay fees.

Before you disagree, I don't recall anything from Sr. Guzman, or the courts, that contradicts any of this. You may say fine, but they say fee or other more neutral things, and they are the experts.

Reactions: el justo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It amounts to the same thing. Now that there is finally an legal way to extent the original tourist visa you may be more correct but since there has never been any issue, for anyone ever ;) it had been perfectly acceptable with no downside for people to simply stay and then pay. Unless one needs a Dominican drivers licence or wishes to work in la RD legally there has been little to compel most people to take the next steps, apply for and get residency, and a cedula and DL, and avoid the overstay fees.

Before you disagree, I don't recall anything from Sr. Guzman, or the courts, that contradicts any of this. You may say fine, but they say fee or other more neutral things, and they are the experts.
Dr. Guzman said in this forurm, but not this thread, that the overstay fines were a legal work around to the actual laws done during the time of the PLD and continued during their term in power and not yet changed by the PRM. Dr Guzman did not call them a fee. They are a fine for overstaying.

So, it does not matter if you prepay them or pay them upon leaving regarding the legal work around aspect of paying the fine. The only difference I can imagine is if they ever actually enforce the laws, those that prepay may be looked at more favorably, but that is just a guess on my part. That enforcement of the actual laws remains the big IF here. So far no consequences at all. None, So carry on depending upon the level of potential risk you are willing to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.