Awful experience at Mama Pasta in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I don't agree with the op throwing the money on the table. But, I have had my bill padded and have had a waitress try to say I didn't pay my bill twice. A week apart with 2 different friends. It's a typical Dominican scam, the op feels he didn't order the extra food, he has every right to be ****ed.
I didn't pay in the past, not sure I would have at the restaurant. But I wouldn't be going back, that's for sure.
When a waitress tries to screw you, it's different when it's the owner.

Aug 6, 2006
Those that side with the owner can pop in and order lasagna after lasagna.
Those that side with the customer can avoid this place.

Those that like lasagna and take no side should double check the cuenta before they leave.

If anyone gets a free lasagna, then stay away for three months or so, or wear a disguise and don't order the lasagna.

In the US I have never had anyone ever ask me to pay for something because they undercharged be previously.
Nor do I recall ever being undercharged.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
i must always be smashed when i go in there because i thought the owners name was vince not victor

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
If anyone gets a free lasagna, then stay away for three months or so, or wear a disguise and don't order the lasagna.

They would still remember after a year!!!!

I remember that on my first visit to DR I stood with my brother in law.

We were hanging out in SD. There was a club there where the ladies going in were very beautiful and inviting. The place was close to Metropolis. I can't remember the name. Boy was I a hot item there. Normal gals no "hookers".

I wanted to go in but my brother in law was refusing saying that he left a tab there over 6 months before. I told him they might not remember. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They spoted him 2 hours later. Guess who paid the tab? It was around 30 USD.

The bartenders and security remembered him alright.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
It sounds like somebody thought they had pulled one over and then got called out.
Shame can make a person overreact.
I know.
I have been there. Haven't we all?
It can be SO embarrassing.
I feel your pain.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
There is a reason 9 restaurants out of 10 fail - and guys like this probably account for 4 of them

Yes that is certainly TRUE, but it would be VERY sad if even a single Restaurant with GOOD FOOD went out of business, over a thing like this. cuz some of the Restaurants in Sosua are serving SLOP I would not feed to a dog.

I am NOT a Restauranteur or such business owner.. but I do enjoy a good meal, perhaps more than most people..

and I can tell you that the BEST Chefs and cooks I have ever met, were COMPLETELY OF OF THEIR FREAKING MINDS.
And I mean LOONEY TUNES.. but the Crazier they were, the better the food was..
not joking... As a young man I worked in a couple Country Clubs and Catering places which did Weddings, Bat and Bar Mitzvahs, etc SAME thing, the chefs were out of their minds but the food was off the charts..
they were never hired for their charming Personalities.. thats what the Maitre D' was for
just saying.
Maybe Victor // Victor can hire one of you charming people as a manager.

Aug 6, 2006
Perhaps one should wear an eyepatch, a removable face tattoo or Groucho glasses when one parties the first time, then party a second time without the disguise.

I have never split without paying, but I think the rule in the US is "Ally, ally Oxenfree" if you make it out the door.

There have been a few places where I think I SHOULD have split without paying, as the bill was padded and/or the food was inedible, or both. Most of these were in Mexico.
=================================
I do not think that superior cooking skills are linked to superior bookkeeping or customer relationship skills.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Maybe someone just needs to be the bigger person.

After all, you like the food and RD$250 for a full lasagna is a decent price.

Not directed @amp, just using quotes.

I think the 'people' just need to shut up, this is ridiculous. He can't go back to eat after throwing money disrespectfully, not unless he wants extra protein in his pasta.

It's over, the guy deserves no more attention towards his restaurant, it's negative if its not good so..............................

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I'm finding it quite amusing that so much can be said about a potential RD$ 250 overcharge. Seriously? Do you get that bothered in the US if a restaurant adds a US$6 charge to your check by accident? To the point where you write a really long post on a forum telling people never to go there? No of course you don't.

I know that you like the meat lasagna, but going there 6 times in just 3 weeks and eating the same dish is too many times. There is so much nice chicken and pork on this island, maybe you'll now get a chance to try it.

Yes I would be upset about an "accidental" ha ha charge, especially coupled with the owners ridiculous antics. Nice that
someone else can keep running up charges. That is not you the customer in question. It is less the 250 pesos. Yes in the US they can start a protest march. This is one very irresponsible sounding owner. Tsk tsk he is awfully forgetful. Do not know if he might forget the mozzarella in his lasagna too. You do not ever charge a customer like this dude apparently did.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I get upset if here, the US or China put extra charges on my check and from what the story says it was not by accident. To me that is part of the problem. IF it really happened and the owner wanted to recoup the lost monies he should have had the balls to be up front and tell the guy, look last time you were here ....... Adding it to the bill without explanation appears to me that it may have never happened.
By the way I don't get upset about a $6.00 overcharge because of the $6.00 but the principle. I am not cheap but also not a chump.
I agree completely.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
Because of this attack on this business I am bringing my whole family and some of my friends to this Mama pasta place for lasagna ... I am going to leave him a 250 peso tip with a DR1 note attached to it to show my dislike of forum blackmail.

I did have to ask around, did not know this pasta place existed.

So to the owner, no worries... the internet is what is is, haters and lovers everywhere.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Who would post something like this about a restaurant if they actually did owe the money?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Because of this attack on this business I am bringing my whole family and some of my friends to this Mama pasta place for lasagna ... I am going to leave him a 250 peso tip with a DR1 note attached to it to show my dislike of forum blackmail.

I did have to ask around, did not know this pasta place existed.

So to the owner, no worries... the internet is what is is, haters and lovers everywhere.

Yeah, well, be sure to check your bill closely so that you don't accidentally not pay for something.

Who would post something like this about a restaurant if they actually did owe the money?

Agreed. But in this case, it was the sneaky way he added it to the bill instead of saying "By the way, last time you were here.....". If it were my place, and I forgot to bill someone for something, and they were regular customers, I'd chalk it up to my mistake and forget it. Let's face it, 250 pesos is nothing for either of them, it's just the principle of the matter, plus treating the customer like he was some sort of crook. I probably would have thrown the money on the table too, especially if he got my Italian temper going.

If I had regular customers, especially off season, I'd be wooing them and treating them like gold, throwing in a little extra treat [maybe a bit of garlic bread or something, nothing expensive] just for good will.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
seems strange you would forget taking a lasagne home with you but hey ho- I have been asked to pay for drinks I never had when returning to a certain place, it wasnt even a drink I had ever tried lol, I just paid for a quiet life and never mentioned it to anyone...not the end of the world as long as its a one off

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah, well, be sure to check your bill closely so that you don't accidentally not pay for something.

Agreed. But in this case, it was the sneaky way he added it to the bill instead of saying "By the way, last time you were here.....". If it were my place, and I forgot to bill someone for something, and they were regular customers, I'd chalk it up to my mistake and forget it. Let's face it, 250 pesos is nothing for either of them, it's just the principle of the matter, plus treating the customer like he was some sort of crook. I probably would have thrown the money on the table too, especially if he got my Italian temper going.

If I had regular customers, especially off season, I'd be wooing them and treating them like gold, throwing in a little extra treat [maybe a bit of garlic bread or something, nothing expensive] just for good will.

the minute the OP walked in, the owner should have told him that he had something to talk about, and taken him privately off to the side. he should have said that the OP forgot to pay a part of his bill, and couched it in such a way as to even make it look like an oversight on his part. he would thereby have absolved the OP from any notions of skullduggery, and made for a better resolution.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
LOL.. that reminds me of the time I went to Escott's restaurant in the Europa hotel years ago with Ingrid, when Escott had a chef for a partner.

We were there a few weeks before it closed. We both ordered food, and about halfway through dinner, the Chef walks up to our table and asked us about the food. It was fried chicken, and frankly, it was not good at all. Chewy, like it had be cooked and reheated a couple of times, so we told him.

Man, did he give us a lecture! On FRIED CHICKEN!!! He did everything but insult my mother. Not yelling or anything, just informing us we didn't have a clue what good fried chicken was. We didn't even finish the meal, it was so bad.

He was gone a few weeks after that. Such a shame too, he turned out some pretty good food in the beginning.

Dori is a great chef, I tried a few of his Thai creations, I believe he was running a falafel joint in Puerto Plata for a while, Yasmin Grill.

Status
Not open for further replies.