Awful experience at Mama Pasta in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
To the OP-you messed up. First of all, you tried reasoning with the guy. Bad move. The less talk the better with these type of people. They're not going to listen to anything you say and you're always wrong, so keep it short and sweet. Bottom line, make it known you weill stand up for yourself.

You should have plopped down the money you owe, with no tip, and say "take it or leave it" and walk out. Or, if he feels like calling the cops, don't pay until they get there.

You are not legally obligated to pay any more than what you ordered on that day. If the cops are called, wait patiently and behave accordingly. Tell them he's lying and that he wants to overcharge you because he's a thief.

If you don't stand up for yourself, word will get around. This is why these business owners will continue to do this with impunity to others.

I had something similar happen to me in a disco in Sosua. One night, after several trips to the loo, the bathroom attendant, who was female, was being very nice to me and gave me a rose to give to whatever chica I was with. She was incredibly friendly.

Next night, her attitude changed completely. As soon as she saw me she accused me of taking something and not paying for it the night before. I told her to go screw herself, and if she had a problem go tell someone and I'll be right outside dancing.

What threw me off more than anything else was her attitude towards me. She was very angry and aggressive. I thought she thought I was going to back down or get scared. I found it surprising that a woman would get like this, but like I said she probably thought I was a sucker or would try to make amends.

Nothing happened. Don't get the whole "the natives are so friendly" mantra twisted. That's a gringo concept that has no basis in reality. Dominicans can be as surly as anyone else, and you cannot let your guard down.

You may think that $250 pesos is nothing, but it sends a bad message and reinforces an even worse precedent-that they can get away with this type of crap because most people would rather not deal with the hassle. You can't be that way with Dominicans. They see that as a sign of weakness, something they do not respect.

If you were a tourist, maybe I can understand not wanting to cause a scene. But you live there, so you gotta handle these situations differently.

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
That's the point-he's not Dominican, which is why the owner probsably felt he can take advantage.

And I was making reference to if the owner resorted to calling the cops, not Vince.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
And not with me either!

...you cannot let your guard down...You may think that $250 pesos is nothing, but it sends a bad message and reinforces an even worse precedent-that they can get away with this type of crap because most people would rather not deal with the hassle. You can't be that way with Dominicans. They see that as a sign of weakness, something they do not respect.

The amount of money is irrelevant.
Whether gringo or Dominican.
It's just not done.
Crook behaviour.

And Vince is who?

donP

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
That's the point-he's not Dominican, which is why the owner probsably felt he can take advantage.
And I was making reference to if the owner resorted to calling the cops, not Vince.

i believe what harley says is that the owner of the place, vince (or is it victor?) is not dominican.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe Yes Maybe No

Who would post something like this about a restaurant if they actually did owe the money?

Quote: cjp2010
"I was confused. The explanation was that the last time we were there we took a full lasagna to go but his wife didn't charge us for it because she thought it was leftovers.

None of us can remember that now. Maybe he is right but how do I know that now?" end quote

I would remember if I had a Lasagna to go last week and was not charged.
Too much drama over a mediocre Lasagna.......just don't go back The End.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Quote: cjp2010
"I was confused. The explanation was that the last time we were there we took a full lasagna to go but his wife didn't charge us for it because she thought it was leftovers.

None of us can remember that now. Maybe he is right but how do I know that now?" end quote

I would remember if I had a Lasagna to go last week and was not charged.
Too much drama over a mediocre Lasagna.......just don't go back The End.

Excellent lasagna

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
i was thinking about a restaurant review sticky on the site

Why? All anyone needs to do is post how they were screwed out of 4 bucks without being given any vasaline, and we can read everything we need to know about that business, and it's owner.

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
there is no such thing as bad publicity.
from reading this thread it looks like vince/victor will be rushed off his feet in the coming weeks.
if i am ever mad enough to open a business in the dr, i will make sure i p1ss-off a dr1 regular! :bandit:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I seem to recall a similar situation at the now closed Simply Red, people new to running their own restaurant business just dont know how to handle situations that are not the norm....- they may have worked for someone else for years and always had someone to smooth over these problems for them

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Amuzed to log on and find this has got to 8 pages. How do you guys get through a day of your life in DR if such a thing is 8 pages worth of significance.

Yes, I'm a hypocrite in adding to it but ...........................:bored:

Amuzed to log on and find this has got to 8 pages. How do you guys get through a day of your life in DR if such a thing is 8 pages worth of significance.

Yes, I'm a hypocrite in adding to it but ...........................:bored:

Well to me I will support people who I like here and have good food. I won't let this go...
Yes Vince the owner can be a bit rough around the edges sometimes but I don't believe for a second he was trying to scam the OP, just handled the situation incorrectly.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Well to me I will support people who I like here and have good food. I won't let this go...
Yes Vince the owner can be a bit rough around the edges sometimes but I don't believe for a second he was trying to scam the OP, just handled the situation incorrectly.

I think that is obvious, and most expats know they are not coming to a contender for world etiquette awards when they turn up. That's why I can't understand why it's not brushed off and forgotten. If you don't get rubbed up the wrong way weekly, maybe daily living in DR then you're not getting out enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.