Bachata - Tango

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
LOL - meant to say ARICEPT (for Alzheimer disease) and yes, you are right, I didnt take mine this morning!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
At any rate, I usually go dancing w/people I know or places where I know the people. I either know the staff, owner/manager, or promoters. Very rarely do I go with a girlfriend to a place where we dont have some sort of connection. So that eliminates dancing with some sort of stranger (most of the time). But if I go with a guy or a group - I'd go anywhere where it is safe and cool.
Well my problem is that since I don't have a posse, heheh like you, if I go out dancing it seems to me that guys are just out there to pick up women and not really enjoy the dancing. I guess I need to find the right place to go dancing.

I dont like ANYBODY I dont know rubbing up on anything near me. In fact, when regueton plays, I'm out there with my girls and dont usually let strangers dance that music with me. Is just too intimate to share in public - I do all my humping alone and in the air!

yes I agree with this.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I am thinking about using meetup.com or some dance studio to dance. Night clubs and other places are only if you know someone there or have a partner already. Otherwise - guys who go there to look for a pick up can spoil everything :ermm:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Does anyone know of good latin music instructors or dance schools in NYC??
for salsa and tango, my daughter wants salsa and I want to start with tango and then go on to salsa.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Start with Salsa nights at LQ's on Wednesday and Taj on Mondays. Both are in the city and easy to get to. Great crowd and many instructors have their business cards with them. It is a learning environment, so you can easily approach people and tell them you are looking for lessons.

Possee - that was funny! Mar, when you wanna hang out and go dancing, let me know.

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
M.A.R. said:
Last night I was at the South St.Seaport/NYC, having dinner at a Cuban Restaurant and as I looked down over the outdoor terrace I see people dancing tango.
Love that restaurant...

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Start with Salsa nights at LQ's on Wednesday and Taj on Mondays. Both are in the city and easy to get to. Great crowd and many instructors have their business cards with them. It is a learning environment, so you can easily approach people and tell them you are looking for lessons.

Possee - that was funny! Mar, when you wanna hang out and go dancing, let me know.

hehe thanks for the offer, I'll stay in touch.....I was googling some info.and it seems Eddie Torres' classes are too big isn't that a disadvantage? Does anyone know about his classes?
there's quite a few schools but I have no idea which one would be best.

Yamulee in the Bronx
Piel Canela in NYC....has anyone heard of these places?

the name of the restaurant is Cabana, the view is amazing, especially at sunset when the lights are coming on.

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Salsa from Smilin David

Hey there Students & Friends,
Smiling David is
Teaching 2 FREE classes for you.....

On Friday, August 31, 2007
starting at 5 PM Sharp
FREE Salsa Dance Party
2 Dance FREE classes from yours truly
Smiling David
Come one come all; new and old students;
Smiling David will be waiting for you
Live Dance Performances by:
Pzazz Dance Company

LIVE BAND:
Saborioco
with Frankie Vazquez
&
DJ Chino

ALL @ the
New Jersey Performing Arts Center
(NJPAC)
One Center St., Newark, NJ 07102
THIS EVENT IS ALL FREE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday, September 3, 2007
Is LABOR DAY so there is no work!!

Come and join Pzazz Dance Company at the Salsa Cruise.

More than 10 performances by groups from
Europe, New Jersey & New York
If you are interested in getting tickets give me a call:
973-489-3321
or E-Mail me.

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!!!

Smiling David
Pzazz Dancers

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
thanks TD - I think I found a good school in Manhattan that teaches tango and salsa.

If anyone is interested in finding a good dance school for any latin dance especially salsa, you can call the just salsa website or call 212 982-4633.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Took my first tango lesson, very cool stuff and afterwards they have a "practica" and I got asked to dance, I am sooo excited.:cheeky:

I still think that bachata could be just as elegant and sensual.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
So I took 4 tango lessons.
This place has also bachata/merengue and salsa lessons.
I think once you know the basics in any of these dances you can just go out to places where you can practice and u should be ok.

maadams2004

Nov 16, 2007
This is interesting...I am not Dominican, however, from my perspective here in the U.S. bachata has really taken off. It is very popular. In places I've been it doesn't get as much play as Salsa or Merengue, but it does get played. I think groups like Aventura, Xtreme, and Optimo have been a large part of bachata going more mainstream. I here them a lot on Latino radio stations. And Monchy y Alexandra have a huge hand in its popularity as well.

I also found learning to dance bachata more natural and much easier than dancing salsa or merengue for some reason. I think the complication for me comes when learning complicated patterns that many of the good salsa dancers have in there arsenal. Bachata, however, seems to me so much more natural. After dancing it a couple of weeks I found myself just letting the music take over and I just flow with it...I love bachata. I'm looking forward to my first trip to the DR so I can learn authentic bachata. It is danced different everywhere you go. I would love to visit the Bachata Rose and venture out onto the dance floor.

~Rio

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Hmm. To answer the OP's original question. Nope, I don't think bachata will ever reach the ranks of Tango. It may have started in the whore houses of Bs. As. but ended up becoming a classic for the rich, and all classes really. It's more of a ritual, people will be dressed up to the nines, and everything is very cordial and "classy". The moves are much more complicated, you need more than a lesson to get the basics down without stepping on your partners feet. It has well over 100 years history, and well it's starting to fade - not too many young people are into (in Arg. or Uru), there's a few, but it probably won't see many new singers or dancers, or grow in popularity. Bachata on the other hand, well, sorry, but musically, lyrically, dance-wise, and class-wise does not match up. It can be fun, but is not in the same league as Tango.

Personally I don't mind some bachatas, the dirty ones. But I can't stand TopoLlillo y los aventureros (Aventura), the guys voice drives me up the wall! In Ottawa I can't say that it's very popular (hardly anyone stays on the floor for it), I think they play bachata to clear the dancefloor and get people to buy drinks - as the latin crowd tends to dance more than drink.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Ok, then perhaps we can continue this conversation 50 years from now.....

Yes, I know the Tango is much, MUCH older than bachata.

Talk to you in 50......To be continued......

Wow!!!! Miguel you will be about 105 by then...lol
jk

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Here's a couple of videos on Bachata and Tango

YouTube - Sensual Bachata=

YouTube - Tango Argentina=

I don't think we'll see bachata reach the status internationally that the tango has.

At least not in our lifetime ;)

I'll be a traitor here and say that I love Salsa best as well as watching it danced. ;) YouTube - Yanek y Diana - Cuban style Salsa= It's so intriguing.

Here's a slower version YouTube - Israel Gutierrez Performance=

Anna, in my opinion those bachata dancers don't do it for me.
I think these ones are much better dancers.
Watch how the real dominicans do it.

YouTube - Bailadores De Bachata 2
YouTube - Bailadores De Bachata 3
YouTube - Bailadores De Bachata

Even these Koreans i think do it better for a more classy bachata dancing. YouTube - tango type sensual bachata