Back Migration to The DR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Univisión New York has a story they published yesterday (12/8/23) in their Youtube channel about Dominicans that are abandoning New York and returning to the DR (this include those that can't afford an one way airplane ticket back to the DR, they go to the Dominican consulate and ask for a "carta de ruta" which not only the Dominican government pay for their one way ticket to the DR, but also allows them to enter the DR without a passport.) In the title they quote one of the Dominicans: "NY isn't what I thought."

They start with a Dominican and say "he can't stand NY anymore." He first went to the USA in 2021.

Another Dominican has lived for 16 years in New Jersey and she too had enough, leaving for the DR via a carta de ruta.

PS1. The video is in Spanish.

PS2. Use a VPN of the USA if can't see the video.

PS3. How many Dominicans that you know that want to go to NY actually give you a correct depiction of what awaits them in the USA?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It says "Video unavailable". I would need to know the title of the video to try to search for it on YouTube.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
Regarding PS3 none! They want to be seen as successful so they do not share with their fellow Dominicans how difficult it really is which is why there exists this fantasy that Nueva York is lined with money trees. (10,000 times more difficult without the proper work authorization)

Reactions: chicagoan14

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I watched this on TikTok yesterday.

Most of the comments were cruel, especially from those who claimed that the returnees are weak and/or lazy.

I must be the weakest/laziest of them all: returning for good in August, '24.

Reactions: qphotonyc

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Do any of them explore other cities besides NYC? Personally, I would never go to NYC to even visit, much less live. But if they venture towards the midwest or south the quality of life is much better.
Exactly. After finishing High-School, I got out of Dodge and never looked back. Only been back a few times, though, just to visit friends and family.

In those days, there was a popular saying: The best thing that comes out of NY is 95 South.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
A few years ago, a young lady from Higüey visited us in Dallas. She saw trees.

Then we overheard a conversation she was having with her mom: "Mami, e'to e' un campo aquí".

On another occasion, my better half ran into an old classmate in Higüey:

Dude: "Supe que te mu'date pa' Nuebayol".

Flaca: "No. Yo no vivo en New York; yo vivo en Dallas, TX".

Dude: "¡Ah! Pero Dalla' e' un campo de Nuebayol".

When I lived in Houston, someone asked me in which part of New York was I living. I replied, "I don't live in New York; I live in Texas."
His super-duper informed comeback: "No, Joseito. Texas pertenece a Nuebayol".

With a pleased look on his face, he glanced back at his girlfriend standing next to him, as if saying, "¡Diablo, Dios mio! Pero e'te pariguayo si e' bruto: él no sabe ni dónde vive".

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I watched this on TikTok yesterday.

Most of the comments were cruel, especially from those who claimed that the returnees are weak and/or lazy.

I must be the weakest/laziest of them all: returning for good in August, '24.
Most think Dominicans that return are only 2 or 3, but...

It's like Dominican-Americans claiming their Dominican citizenship. 2 or 3 multiplied by a few thousands year after year is something they can't register in their minds.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Most think Dominicans that return are only 2 or 3, but...

It's like Dominican-Americans claiming their Dominican citizenship. 2 or 3 multiplied by a few thousands year after year is something they can't register in their minds.
Exactly.
6 of my cousins have moved to the D.R, and all were born in the U.S., except one who had lived here since he was 3 yo.
My parents moved back in '03; couple of aunts have also returned, and last time they visited was in '12 for a funeral.
All had pledged allegiance to the Republic for "Richard Stands."

qphotonyc

Aug 28, 2020
USA
With 1 br apartments uptown starting at above $2000/mo and climbing fast due to gentrification, that's the main reason ppl of all ethnicity are fleeing NYC for more affordable places.
Source: I live there.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've never understood why so many Dominicans want to migrate to NYC?
It's super expensive, has a major crime problem and offers a poor quality of life.

Reactions: windeguy

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
you seem to pull this gem out quite a bit
My apologies, good SIR. If you were to read my ESL knock-knock jokes, you'd lobby the moderators for my removal once again.

But, please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for constantly pointing out my shortcomings.
Little by little, I post less and less, at least compared to my early days circa 2002-2003 and beyond, and I have no one to thank but you, Sir, good Sir.
You're the quintessential Dominican Renaissance man, and I'm honored to be corrected by such an esteemed scholar.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I've never understood why so many Dominicans want to migrate to NYC?
It's super expensive, has a major crime problem and offers a poor quality of life.
Well NYC has five boroughs. Dominicans do not live in Grammercy or West Village (Manhattan)etc., they live in the ghettos of WH, Bx, Qn and Bklyn. There are many lower cost of living barrios compared to Manhattan. That, plus most are on section 8 housing which covers 75% of rent. You throw in caid and life becomes bearable. Many pick up gigs at minimum wage. Many motivated ones find themselves studying for free at city college like Hunter. For many the rats and roaches are a far better deal than crapping in a hole in the loma and eating green bananas until their intestines are like cement

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
My apologies, good SIR. If you were to read my ESL knock-knock jokes, you'd lobby the moderators for my removal once again.

But, please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for constantly pointing out my shortcomings.
Little by little, I post less and less, at least compared to my early days circa 2002-2003 and beyond, and I have no one to thank but you, Sir, good Sir.
You're the quintessential Dominican Renaissance man, and I'm honored to be corrected by such an esteemed scholar.
All in good fun cariño

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

I seriously hope you're not letting Dick influence your posting habits. I have had him on ignore/shitcan for months now for obvious reasons. I strongly urge you to do the same. Your posts are engaging and I would hate to lose them because of an alleged person.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Many Dominicans prefer to live/be surrounded by other Dominicans, IMO that is why many migrate to NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, etc... It always amazed me how many that go to the USA thought that it was/is the path to a golden life. Not realizing the hard work it requires. With that said I know many that went/are in the USA, work very hard and have a good life. Many have plans to retire in the DR. Not everyone wants to live/stay in the USA.