Back Migration to The DR

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yep. Just like expats here and in other countries, most Dominicans prefer to go where there are a lot of other Dominicans.

Most of the Dominicans I knew in Miami had the same goal - work in the US until retirement and then move back to the DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Do any of them explore other cities besides NYC? Personally, I would never go to NYC to even visit, much less live. But if they venture towards the midwest or south the quality of life is much better.
Friends of ours immigrated legally and went to NYC. Both had jobs immediately, him at Amazon and her in a medical lab. Both are bilingual. Within a year he developed severe depression, and she got a job transfer to Raliegh, North Carolina, he followed her two months later and they love NC. Depression disappeared, Kids now love going to school, whole different dynamic in their lives. They will never go back to NYC , even for a visit.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Friends of ours immigrated legally and went to NYC. Both had jobs immediately, him at Amazon and her in a medical lab. Both are bilingual. Within a year he developed severe depression, and she got a job transfer to Raliegh, North Carolina, he followed her two months later and they love NC. Depression disappeared, Kids now love going to school, whole different dynamic in their lives. They will never go back to NYC , even for a visit.
There's a growing Dominican community in Raleigh, NC; in Katy, west of Houston; and Irving, west of Dallas; and areas of Atlanta, GA.

However I'd say these folks are relocating from the northeast, and not necessarily newly transplanted from the D.R. since that's mostly the area to which they gravitate: large enclaves in Jamaica Plains, in the Boston area; Lawrence, Mass, with the largest percentage of Dominicans of any US city, and where possibly close to 50% of the population hails from the D.R.; Perth Amboy and Patterson, NJ; Allentown, PA; and Providence, RI.

Miami's Allapattah neighborhood is the center of the Dominican diaspora in the 305.

In the old days, Dominican would flood Washington Heights and Barrio Obrero, in Santurce, PR.

Reactions: chicagoan14

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Regarding PS3 none! They want to be seen as successful so they do not share with their fellow Dominicans how difficult it really is which is why there exists this fantasy that Nueva York is lined with money trees. (10,000 times more difficult without the proper work authorization)
Absolutely! I tell most of the people i interact with here who want to go to the states that if you're not doing well here you're probably not going to have a good experience in the states. The "American dream" era is over.
It's hard to go back and tell people you made a mistake or you're struggling while abroad. It's all about optics. It's also about what a lot of money is here on the island vs. the states.

Reactions: Lucifer

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Do any of them explore other cities besides NYC? Personally, I would never go to NYC to even visit, much less live. But if they venture towards the midwest or south the quality of life is much better.
I imagine they want to be near to other Dominicans to have a good support system. I know people sleeping 5 to a room just to say they're living in the states.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
There's a growing Dominican community in Raleigh, NC; in Katy, west of Houston; and Irving, west of Dallas; and areas of Atlanta, GA.

However I'd say these folks are relocating from the northeast, and not necessarily newly transplanted from the D.R. since that's mostly the area to which they gravitate: large enclaves in Jamaica Plains, in the Boston area; Lawrence, Mass, with the largest percentage of Dominicans of any US city, and where possibly close to 50% of the population hails from the D.R.; Perth Amboy and Patterson, NJ; Allentown, PA; and Providence, RI.

Miami's Allapattah neighborhood is the center of the Dominican diaspora in the 305.

In the old days, Dominican would flood Washington Heights and Barrio Obrero, in Santurce, PR.
Don't forget Elizabeth and Passaic NJ as well as Washington DC. NC is probably the best choice for Dominicans, as it is a lower cost of living. Washington Heights is still flooded. I would doubt Lawrence is #1, but I remain teachable

Jan 9, 2004
Don't forget Elizabeth and Passaic NJ as well as Washington DC. NC is probably the best choice for Dominicans, as it is a lower cost of living. Washington Heights is still flooded. I would doubt Lawrence is #1, but I remain teachable

There is no other city in the US where the Dominican population is higher on a percentage basis. That population has fluctuated between 50-52% of the total for the last two census.

Sadly, Lawrence is also the poorest city in Massachusetts. And even sadder, there is a direct correlation to poorer cities elsewhere outside of NYC and high percentages of Dominicans residing in them.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
There is no other city in the US where the Dominican population is higher on a percentage basis. That population has fluctuated between 50-52% of the total for the last two census.

Sadly, Lawrence is also the poorest city in Massachusetts. And even sadder, there is a direct correlation to poorer cities elsewhere outside of NYC and high percentages of Dominicans residing in them.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Lawrence, never knew

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
5 of the the last 6 Lawrence city mayors were either born in the D.R. or are first generation Dominican-Americans.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What's wrong with someone that is trying to have a better life? (In NYC) I was born and raised there and now have the means to live in the DR for the past 4 years. This thread seems to presume ppl have choices in life. They don't. Personally, I don't see how a Dominican can make it there..but I have inside information. I would not like to discourage anyone trying to improve themselves.

Jan 9, 2004
5 of the the last 6 Lawrence city mayors were either born in the D.R. or are first generation Dominican-Americans.

And that goes along way in identifying why so much corruption has plagued that city…….you cannot run the same game with impunity that you could have in the DR.

William Lantigua comes to mind……one of the more “colorful” mayors.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Well that makes sense. On that topic, Hector Lora, mayor of Passaic NJ. A while back former Mayor Alex Blanco, also Dominican went away for a laundry list of corrupt activity, including accepting bribes for awarding contracts. No surprise there.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
A good majority of my MIL family lives/lived in New Jersey/NYC/Philadelphia area. The ones that are of retirement age have all either moved back to the DR or moving in the near future. There are a couple of cousins that used to live in New Jersey/NYC but moved to Arizona. They are doing well there, better than they did in New Jersey/NYC. But they also will be moving back once they retire in a few years. I agree 100% with Chicagoan about having a support system. I see it with my spouse's extended family that live in the USA. Many have left family members behind in the DR so having that support system gives them a sense of comfort/security.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
A good majority of my MIL family lives/lived in New Jersey/NYC/Philadelphia area. The ones that are of retirement age have all either moved back to the DR or moving in the near future. There are a couple of cousins that used to live in New Jersey/NYC but moved to Arizona. They are doing well there, better than they did in New Jersey/NYC. But they also will be moving back once they retire in a few years. I agree 100% with Chicagoan about having a support system. I see it with my spouse's extended family that live in the USA. Many have left family members behind in the DR so having that support system gives them a sense of comfort/security.
Arizona nice

Reactions: JD Jones

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well, we can't see the video ( strange ? )

Anybody wanting to go to the US, legally or not, to work for near-minimum wages, has absolutely no idea what they are getting themselves into,

I can think of many countries where it would be faaaar easier to save some money, all while working for near-minimum wages.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
I seriously hope you're not letting Dick influence your posting habits.
I'm with Nan - (y)(y) Quite often Dick is insightful, funny and entertaining and often, not... No one should influence one's posting habits, please stick around Lucifer and let the scratchy stuff run off..

Reactions: johne and Lucifer

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Then there's one of my cousin, who lives comfortably in Sosua with his American-born wife. They've traveled all over (Mexico, Central America, South America, Europe, Cuba), except to the States, Canada, and Asia, but his dream is to live in the Bronx. Really.
If Robert Ripley were alive today...

I've often reminded him that he's traveled to places I've only dreamed of, and that there's nothing worth seeing in the Bronx: no easy place to park; most old apartments with washers/driers down in the basement; loud summer nights with high-decibel music into the wee hours of the morning; overly-aggressive folks; and humongous rats... and to top it off, un marrrdito frío durante 4 o 5 meses...

His usual reply: "No, primo. Quien nunca va a Nuebayol, muere ciego".
Dominicans who do not visit NYC are plagued with blindness prior to giving up the ghost.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

Dominicans who do not visit NYC are plagued with blindness prior to giving up the ghost.
And there "blindness" gets worse every time a friend or family lands at Las Americas with the bling hanging around their necks.Designer brand sneakers, hats etc , BTW which can be bought on Duarte for less than NYC. It's all counterfeit. LOL. Would a person living here believe their cousin's story or advise like Lucifer and me...both NYers? Tough audience to persuade NOT go to NYC.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have over 10 Dominican in-law relatives in Providence, RI. Large community there of Dominicans leaving NY City.
It is a sanctuary city with good benefits even to illegals. And so it goes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is very true that first generation, and even some second generation people seek birds of a feather.
True for any group of people. That is one reason NY City has such an attraction to Dominicans.
But now, the prices in NY City are a bit high, so they are expanding their horizons.

We just got back from a trip to North Carolina, a niece and here Dominican husband have a house in a small town east of Charlotte, but then were in the mountains and visiting Asheville, Spartanburg and Hendersonville.

I had no idea we would eventually have Dominican Yorks retiring back to the DR who live now in Raleigh, NC.