Back to school

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Ministerio-de-Educacion-CDN-e1602162462632.jpg

Public schools reopen on Monday, 20 September to in-person learning all around the country. In the protocol for the reopening, the Ministry of Education has set a distance of 1.5 meter between each desk and prevalence to well-ventilated classrooms. Classrooms that use air-conditioning, must naturally ventilate the rooms several times a day, and daily sanitizing of the classrooms is required before and after each session.

The Ministry of Education has organized a symbolic back-to-school event to take place at the General Antonio Duvergé School, in the Honduras sector of the capital city.

More than 2.8 million public school students are enrolled in kindergarten, elementary and secondary schools. In 2020, the school year was limited to remote learning. Private schools had started earlier.

Actually, Education Minister Roberto Furcal was against children returning...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Not for my kid. On Friday night parents were told that on that afternoon contractors showed up to begin work at the school. They will be painting, washroom repairs among other things. I guess the contractor never was notified about back to school on the 20 of September. The teacher says its back to virtual teaching until all work is complete. When will that be we all ask......they say that they can't imagine it being more than a week. Well I know better than that. One week will stretch to a month. Teachers love the virtual non teaching.

Reactions: Garyexpat

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
my kids went to school today. A little too quiet for me now. Boo hoo.
The youngest has her tablet but didnt take it to school.
I think doing education by computer or tablet is not a great idea.
Already some kids have broken their tablets.
Imagine the thefts and breakages over the next few months.
Fathers selling their kids tablets fo rum money maybe too.
How are they going to get internet with little or no money? WHat if there is no service in that area?
Will this disadvantage these kids even more.?
WHat happened to book learning. Seems to have worked very well and produced some very well educated people.
Plus who needs to give kids even more time on their tablets? Mine loves the games.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Latest update today.. Kids came home at 12. No breakfast served which is normally the case.
Now they go for only half days for 2 weeks. Masks reguired. Classes outside near music playing loudly.

Any excuse at all to not really work for the teachers.

One teacher in the church told everyone not to send their kids as there was not the new corona virus.

No school here ever if it is raining will rain or did rain.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I thought you all thought the new prez was so great but he has to much on his plate including making plans for the DR becoming competitive globally.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
"Classrooms that use air-conditioning, must naturally ventilate the rooms several times a day." Do some public schools really have air-conditioning?
"The past two weeks have been of intense activity as parents scrambled to find the funds to prepare their children for the return to classes." I can confirm that. The family that I sometimes help have certainly been scrambling to me to find funds!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Latest update today.. Kids came home at 12. No breakfast served which is normally the case.
Now they go for only half days for 2 weeks. Masks reguired. Classes outside near music playing loudly.

Any excuse at all to not really work for the teachers.

One teacher in the church told everyone not to send their kids as there was not the new corona virus.

No school here ever if it is raining will rain or did rain.
I think in your last but one sentence, "not" should read "now"?
I certainly agree that the "no school when it rains" thing is ridiculous. I would hardly ever have gone to school where I was brought up in England if that were the case!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
"Classrooms that use air-conditioning, must naturally ventilate the rooms several times a day." Do some public schools really have air-conditioning?
"The past two weeks have been of intense activity as parents scrambled to find the funds to prepare their children for the return to classes." I can confirm that. The family that I sometimes help have certainly been scrambling to me to find funds!
A/C or no A/C, kids should be in school, WITHOUT the Damn masks!

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I really like living here but I am seriously thinking of heading back to Canada because of this lack of education situation. My daughter at this point has lost 2 years of education so I can live without cold and snow.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Wow, Canada? The communist republic of Canada? Might want to think twice about that one my friend.
I think you are pretty clueless about Canada. Most of Canada has more freedoms that your home country, and a better education system. Where do you live Rogerjac? There are some pretty decent private schools in most areas.

Reactions: Auryn and aarhus

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
A/C or no A/C, kids should be in school, WITHOUT the Damn masks!
As the kids are not vaccinated, it's even more important that they should use masks or every school day could soon become a "super-spreader" day. If you don't want to wear a mask, it's your choice, but Dominicans I know with kids are very happy if they are masked.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
As the kids are not vaccinated, it's even more important that they should use masks or every school day could soon become a "super-spreader" day. If you don't want to wear a mask, it's your choice, but Dominicans I know with kids are very happy if they are masked.
Kids, shouldn't be vaccinated nor be made to wear masks.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Really, many of our clients dont want their children wearing masks in class and no children are not super spreaders, the opposite in fact.

Attachments

• 20210921_120238.jpg
    20210921_120238.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 119

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I thought you all thought the new prez was so great but he has to much on his plate including making plans for the DR becoming competitive globally.
forget about globally... the promises, promises prez should consentrate on the little things here in the DR...like having real police, and real politicos and real schools were the children can read and write when they graduate high school......

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
forget about globally... the promises, promises prez should consentrate on the little things here in the DR...like having real police, and real politicos and real schools were the children can read and write when they graduate high school......
That is exactly what I think.