Bad Accident on Duarte Highway

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is how the car in the accident on Duarte Highway looked like. Took me some time to notice it was a Toyota, don't know the model. This was last Sunday night in Villa Altagracia. Only one survivor taken to a hospital and the other two died trapped in the car. All are from Santo Domingo.

More photos in the link.

76074AB0-5274-4316-B0BF-44FAEFA59ADA.jpeg

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The article in Spanish said that there is a defect in the road which causes cars to skid to the right, then drop down the embankment towards Villa Altagracia. There have been several accidents. I wonder why it doesn't occur to anyone to fix this defect before someone else dies. There were actually three dead in this accident and 1 in hospital.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
From the condition of the car it looks as though the driver may have been the sole survivor.
Not an enviable position to be in.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
it is another reminder of how important it is to drive slowly in this country.Maybe because I i am older or maybe because I drove a motercycle here fo rmany years , I really do not drive fast and it has prevented quite a few mishaps for me.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The article in Spanish said that there is a defect in the road which causes cars to skid to the right, then drop down the embankment towards Villa Altagracia. There have been several accidents. I wonder why it doesn't occur to anyone to fix this defect before someone else dies. There were actually three dead in this accident and 1 in hospital.
Because life is cheaper than road repairs it seems. But there can be no doubt excessive speed was the cause

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Wow you have to be going over 100mph for that kind of damage
well, you certainly don't need a metallurgist to say that damage was not done at 35 miles an hour.
Actually, It sounds like the vehicle fell from the top of the bridge to the lower road.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Dominicans always blame it on other things because they are the best drivers in the world.
Of course the lack (or absent) of education and not adapting to situations plays a big role.

Reactions: chico bill

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
If the Street is Banked (angled ) the wrong direction, and Dominican Streets are notorious for this , because I guess they assume water Drainage is more important , it does not take much in a Curve to cause a Rollover and this kind of Damage . I agree he was speeding ,but it would not take more than 80 MPH to do it ..
The Deadly car crash which killed that Baseball Player ? in Cabarete,,, Tight turn , about 70 MPH, Road is banked wrong , car went airborne , and hit a 3 foot diameter tree. Good night .

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So, you are a "rider"?
Indeed I am.
I prefer to be in a bus and I am probably the only passenger using his seat belt. Odds of surviving an accident are much higher than if I were on the back of Jose's motorbike or riding with 8 other people in a Toyota Camery down a winding mountain road in the pouring down rain.
I was almost killed in a head on collision Spring of '92 so I'm a little paranoid when it comes to idiots on the road.