Bag-in-box wines

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have proven - too many times - that price is of little consequence in wine selection.

Box wine is a perfect example.
In blind taste tests, box wines is a consistent winner.

The bigger the vessel, the better the aging process....
Jeroboams yield a better wine of the same vintage than the 750ml bottles....

Do not snub your nose at the bigger bottles or the box wines.

Proven recently is that corks, real corks, offer less air tightness than a good Tera-Pak ....
Screw caps are more functional too.... better seal.

As the world marches on, many old habits fall by the wayside.

Live and learn

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree WW. And with a surplus of wines from California (if that is still the case) , those bulk wine delivery systems are a good deal. Of course there are some that are just horrible as well.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Ok Gentlemen, everything is a matter of taste.
I find that for a good drinkable vine from California I have to pay between 10 and 15 $ a bottle. I only drink Pinot Noire so my knowledge is limited!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All about taste...
all we're saying is that many $15-20 bottles (your range) are as good as some $40 ones.

Don't be misled by a higher price..... go with your taste

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Ok Gentlemen, everything is a matter of taste.
I find that for a good drinkable vine from California I have to pay between 10 and 15 $ a bottle. I only drink Pinot Noire so my knowledge is limited!

No offense but Californian wines are not everybody's taste even in that price range. And why only pinot noir? If you want a real pinot noir buy yourself a Barolo. Might cost you a little more but then you will taste a real pinot noir.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
France (Europe), California or So America ?
Big discussions on all three as to preference.

SoAmerica actually has French vines AND vintners....
Couple that with the more abundant, cheaper land and a better climate for vineyards (which CA has too)
and you have the makings of a success...... quality and pricing.
Which happened.

This conversation has been ongoing for a long time and will continue.

Oenophiles rarely agree......... in my experience

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Need to get this back to DR content. *I'm not much of a wine drinker, so I haven't really investigated this, but what countries are the wines in DR from? *We've bought some Chilean wines. *Are California, Italian, French, etc., wines also readily available?

Could I find a prosecco or Spumante?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
AE. The most common supermarket wines here are Chilean, Californian and some Spanish wines. French and italian are not widely available, partly because they are rather fragile is my guess. I have No Carrefour close but I hope to find some French B-I-B wines one day.*

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
No offense but Californian wines are not everybody's taste even in that price range. And why only pinot noir? If you want a real pinot noir buy yourself a Barolo. Might cost you a little more but then you will taste a real pinot noir.

P.S. The grape is nebbiolo, family of the PN, even more delicate and harder to handle.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012

Will try a Barolo. I thought that Barolo was a more heavy wine. I like the California Pinot Noir because it is so light.
And yes you can find some in Supermercado National in Santiago.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Of course everyone has different taste in wine. That goes without saying. The majority of people are not sticklers when it comes to wine. I know I am not. I am a stickler about paying high prices and getting little in return.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A tip....

Wine bottles with a shoulder are heavier*
Those that slope at the shoulder are lighter.

Wish I could draw it ....

Cabernet has a shoulder, Pinot Noir slopes*