Banco Peravia Closing

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If you were to have a significant sum of money on deposit in the DR you'd be a candidate for the financial Darwin awards. Relatively easy to deposit here but difficult to move it off shore once here. Not a good idea to have more than you can afford to lose or abandon as the case may be.

Haha...until now people has lost more money in banks in the developed world than in DR. But then again, my opinion is you should be aware you could loose your money if you put it in a bank (any bank). Just as you can loose it when you store it below your bed, in your matress, in a hole in your garden.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I agree, the FDIC model proved itself from the Great Depression, through nearly a dozen recessions, the 2009 depression, right up to today. It's not perfect but runs on banks have been rare and isolated in the US since its inception.

The FDIC began insuring deposits in 1934. I think it is more accurate to say that the Great Depression lead to that after many banks had failed.

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
For us, pension deposited at home. Every month I write a cheque and deposit to my USD savings account here. Cheque clears in Canada pretty quickly in about a week, but it takes BanReserva another 2 -3 weeks to make the funds available here. I don't mind the wait now that I am moving October funds in November etc. No fees... just time.

I presume your cheque is in Canadian $. What kind of exchange rate does the Dominican bank give you here to deposit the cheque into your USD savings account? I am going to try that with my Scotia Bank accounts!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I have a relationship with a finance house here. I write them a check on my US bank on a Monday and they send it to Florida via their courier company. It's posted in my online account as paid within 3 days. I pick up the cash on the following Monday.

Fee = zero

Their exchange rate is competitive.

I had a peso savings account and a dollar savings account here that I used for short term operating expenses but I stopped using them years ago because of their ridiculous fees.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
According to the letter from Carlos Herrera to ambassador Adonaida Medina, Gabriel Jim?nez had visited Venezuela several times and usually boasting "that in the Caribbean country he has bought the authorities in the financial field, so he does what he wants" .

acento.com.do/2014/economia/8198888-en-2012-en-venezuela-se-pidio-a-rd-investigar-a-ejecutivos-banco-peravia-que-ahora-huyeron/

In an ideal world, they would offer Gabriel Jimenez amnesty in exchange for proof of the people he paid off in the financial field here. Then we would make a public example of those officials.. maybe if the same people that were paid off weren't cousins/brothers/best friends of the people that are responsible for the legislative actions that would happen (in some cases are even the same people lol), but in the current system, hell no.. Who the hell is gonna prosecute their brother, best friend, spouse over some payoffs when you know that money trickled back to you someway anyways.. People always talk about corruption like it's some random people paying off random people and that being how everything gets hushed hushed.. Nah, it's all family and people who rely on the corruption to keep afloat, without it they would crumble because they offer no real value to society.

The way I live is I just accept the system as is and try to benefit from it as much as I can.. I don't burn bridges or stick my neck out there to get cut off.. I'm too busy having fun with life/family to try and change the world for other people.. what a rant for 8am lol.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Corruption is why we weeun.

[video=youtube_share;kwRgIX3D8eQ]http://youtu.be/kwRgIX3D8eQ[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
People always talk about corruption like it's some random people paying off random people and that being how everything gets hushed hushed.. Nah, it's all family and people who rely on the corruption to keep afloat, without it they would crumble because they offer no real value to society.

it's not even this, you know... people talk about corruption like it's something that happens deep within the world of politics and banking. but corruption starts with small folks: paying off the police to avoid red light, paying for faster service, slipping few hundred pesos at the airport and so on. everyone does it. no one really wants it to stop because it's inconvenient.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My conversion to USD is done at home. It is a USD cheque that I post here for deposit. I don't have to do it that way, but for now I wish to avoid the whole CDN dollar thing here in the DR.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Mauricio,

I can't find fault with that statement. At home my deposits are Govt. insured for what that's worth. Here, it's depositor beware. I would be more concerned with being able to a substantial amount out of the DR if I needed to, rather than losing it due to a bank failure or some such calamity although not out of the realm of possibility as you say.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
interesting news

Banks chief ‘protected’ execs fled with US$22.0M

Santo Domingo.- National District prosecutor Yenny Berenice Reynoso on Thursday revealed that the Banks Superintendence had prior knowledge of the numerous complaints filed by customers against the executives of the failed bank Banco Peravia, and becomes yet another embarrassment for president Danilo Medina’s scandal-fraught Administration.

Reynoso tweeted that the Banks Superintendence had asked for more time before making public the complaints filed against Peravia bank president Jos? Lu?s Santoro and vice president Gabriel Arturo Jimenez Aray, who had left the country the same day of the banks regulator proceeded to shut down its operations.

For TV SIN news commentator Marino Zapete, the Banks Superintendence “protected those people,” of the Peravia bank, who managed to flee despite the alleged fraud reportedly for more than RD$1.0 billion (US$22.0 million).

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A little more than a year ago:

NALs said:
Popular is the best Dominican bank. Every year they are recognized as one of the best and most well managed banks in Latin America. They are also the largest bank with branches in so many places that you are never far away from one.

Banreservas was founded by Trujillo, its owned by the government and is one of the few truly successful state owned companies. I say that the day you hear that Banreservas has failed is the day you can count that the DR itself is done.

Another bank I trust is Leon, mostly because the owners are some of the most serious business people in the country, but a few months ago there were rumors that they wanted to get out of the banking business. I don't know what has happened since then.

There are other small banks that have good reputations, such as Santa Cruz, but their problem is that they don't have many branches. If you are frequently travelling, this could be a problem.

And then there are banks like Peravia that I wouldn't go near under any circumstances. Sketchy owners and all of that.
http://dr1.com/forums/living/138957-what-bank-you-trust-more.html#post1347143

I hope some DR1ers took my advice!

Everything still stands, except that Leon has now merged with BHD.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A little more than a year ago:

http://dr1.com/forums/living/138957-what-bank-you-trust-more.html#post1347143

I hope some DR1ers took my advice!

Everything still stands, except that Leon has now merged with BHD.
According to an (international) study BHD (before the merger) was the safest bank in DR. Popular came third or fourth.

I'm not unhappy with populars service but they do make a lot of mistakes and have many service hick ups. BHD I never liked because of their old fashioned way of working and bad internet banking possibilities (but as the study said, seem to be the safest bank). I have heard many good things about Banco Leon. I think that once the activities of BHD and Leon have succesfully been integrated I'll make the switch to BHD Leon.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From DR1 News summary today, based on the article linked above.
Savers can get their money back from bankrupt bank

The Banking Superintendence has announced that savers who had accounts in Banco Peravia with less than RD$500,000 can now retrieve their money from the bankrupt bank.

Almost RD$45 million is available belonging to 6,721 account holders at the bank, which is just over 95% of the total number of customers.

The remaining 320 account holders with sums over the insured RD$500,000 will have to wait, with no date given by Banking Superintendent Luis Armando Asuncion.

In order to withdraw their money the account holders are being asked to go to any branch of Banco de Reservas with their identity documentation and receipts for their deposits. They do not have to withdraw their money as they have the option of leaving it in BanReservas by opening a new account there.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Today's DR1 News:

Banking Superintendence officials investigated in Peravia Bank collapse

The Superintendence of Banks is investigating 13 of its own officials in relation to the collapse of Banco Peravia. The prosecutors want to know why the officials in charge of monitoring the bank's operations did not report any irregularities. Socorro Minerva de la Cruz, Mario Jose Marrero Gonzalez, Cristina de la Ruz, Maria Valdez, Esther Noemi Pena, Tamara Josefina Leal Lopez, Angela Matos, Melchor Cabral, Charlene Cohen, Eladio German, Miguel Angel de la Cruz, Rosa Altagracia Gonzalez Perez and Giselle Ivelisse Castillo have been called in for questioning.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Today's DR1 News:

Banking Superintendence officials investigated in Peravia Bank collapse

The Superintendence of Banks is investigating 13 of its own officials in relation to the collapse of Banco Peravia. The prosecutors want to know why the officials in charge of monitoring the bank's operations did not report any irregularities. Socorro Minerva de la Cruz, Mario Jose Marrero Gonzalez, Cristina de la Ruz, Maria Valdez, Esther Noemi Pena, Tamara Josefina Leal Lopez, Angela Matos, Melchor Cabral, Charlene Cohen, Eladio German, Miguel Angel de la Cruz, Rosa Altagracia Gonzalez Perez and Giselle Ivelisse Castillo have been called in for questioning.
Almost all women.......