Banco Popular and PayPal....Please Decipher

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
hey Mike,
that's the perfect news for me.
so you transfer 1K US$ from PayPal to your Banco Popular Dollar account and receive the 1K minus the $10.- Fee for $990.- credited on your account here in US$.
you are sure about that, right?
as that is my best solution for me, dollar account a BHD already exists.

thanks

Mike

Yes. Sure. Did 4 transfers so far. Exactly after 4 days in your account. Exact amount send by Paypal ./. 10 USD fee deducted. Btw. BHD Dollar account won't work ;)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
update:
my partner is back from BPD right now, exactly same notice as Mike posted above.
Dollars from the PayPal go as US$ directly on the BPD Dollar account.
no currency convertions, just the $10.- fee per transaction.
it was advised to keep each transaction below $1.000.- each.
yes, you are right,
BHD account wont work.
that was a mistyping of mine, as i also hyave pesos and dollar accounts at BHD,
but i wanted to write BPD account, lol.
thanks

Mike

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"it was advised to keep each transaction below $1.000.- each."

I received one for 1,500 USD too + without problem...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
"it was advised to keep each transaction below $1.000.- each."

I received one for 1,500 USD too + without problem...

there's no real Limit,
but for frequent transfers, as i will send such money at least weekly, during season twice a week,
they said to stay below the 1K margin per transaction keeps all questions away, lol

Mike

fido

Jun 18, 2015
This is excellent news, thanks guys.

One last question, specially for you caribemike, is your PayPal account Dominican or US verified?

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
When you withdraw from the account, if it in US dollars, does that give you the most favorable exchange rate? My purpose in doing this will be for my monthly living expenses. What is the advice for that?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When you withdraw from the account, if it in US dollars, does that give you the most favorable exchange rate? My purpose in doing this will be for my monthly living expenses. What is the advice for that?

When we withdraw from our US Dollars account, we have a choice of getting US dollars or pesos. Because of where we live, we take the pesos, but if we lived near Casa de Cambios [which have higher/better exchange rates] we'd take the dollars and go exchange them there.

I'll also add that we deposit money into the account using our US checking account, takes a week or two to clear, very easy.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Thanks for the quick response. How does Banco Popular exchange rate compare to say the Western Union exchange rate? Close or they rip you off?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
AE next time before you withdraw your Dollars into Pesos check Caribe Express Rates. You will do better to take the Dollars to them. Better rate.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE next time before you withdraw your Dollars into Pesos check Caribe Express Rates. You will do better to take the Dollars to them. Better rate.

I'll check it out, I see there is an office in San Cristobal, thanks. We only take out $1000-1,500 at a time, and never seemed worth the effort, but we might be wrong.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I think BPD has exclusivity with Paypal for DR...

Does anyone know if this has been confirmed as fact? I have accounts at two other top Banks here and would hate to open a 3rd just to hookup to my paypal account. Does XOOM remit to other DR Banks therefore providing the same solution?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I have account at BHD and would prefer to use them but there is no option... I do think Paypal is exclusively with BPD and I read it somewhere but don't remember where and I have no proof...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
just to come back with feedback,
as the great people on this topic gave all the necessary info to get it done.
my paypal account is a 20 years long running certified business account with paypal.
we connected it with a simple private Banco Popular US$Dollar Account.
while they had no system at BPD the first 2 attempots,
on the 2rd approach the connection been done at their main branch in Bavaro(aside Plaza de Brizas de Bavaro) within 25 minutes.
it took then 4 business days(plus the weekend in between) and i received from paypal the e-mail notice that all is ready to go.
sincethen we did 2 Transfers, one of $500.- to check it out and then an other of 1K US$.
the first transfer arrived on the bank account here on the 3rd day, the 2nd on day 4.
easy to use.
they credit on the Banco Popular dollar account exactly the amount of money sent, minus the $10.-US$ fee per transaction
and the money can be withdrawn at the drive in at every BPD branch around in US$.
no money exchange fees, reasonable short waiting time, easy.

Expat13,
when i asked PayPal about the afiliated DR-Banks,
i've been told that they have a exclusive contract/agreement with BPD.
that was a while ago, long before i found this topic and we finally set it up.
til now, perfect fit, hassle free.

Mike

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
just to come back with feedback,
as the great people on this topic gave all the necessary info to get it done.
my paypal account is a 20 years long running certified business account with paypal.
we connected it with a simple private Banco Popular US$Dollar Account.
while they had no system at BPD the first 2 attempots,
on the 2rd approach the connection been done at their main branch in Bavaro(aside Plaza de Brizas de Bavaro) within 25 minutes.
it took then 4 business days(plus the weekend in between) and i received from paypal the e-mail notice that all is ready to go.
sincethen we did 2 Transfers, one of $500.- to check it out and then an other of 1K US$.
the first transfer arrived on the bank account here on the 3rd day, the 2nd on day 4.
easy to use.
they credit on the Banco Popular dollar account exactly the amount of money sent, minus the $10.-US$ fee per transaction
and the money can be withdrawn at the drive in at every BPD branch around in US$.
no money exchange fees, reasonable short waiting time, easy.

Expat13,
when i asked PayPal about the afiliated DR-Banks,
i've been told that they have a exclusive contract/agreement with BPD.
that was a while ago, long before i found this topic and we finally set it up.
til now, perfect fit, hassle free.

Mike

with a new BP acct. On the BP online banking under 'paypal" when following the steps it says "Para crear su Cuenta PayPal, favor de completar los siguientes datos, luego presione Continuar"
so i enter my existing PayPal acct info and proceed it says that ther already exist a paypal acct with that email. It seems the BP online system wants you to creat a new Paypal acct within their portal and you cannot attach an existing Paypal acct?
Very confusing1 Anyone run thru this?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
with a new BP acct. On the BP online banking under 'paypal" when following the steps it says "Para crear su Cuenta PayPal, favor de completar los siguientes datos, luego presione Continuar"
so i enter my existing PayPal acct info and proceed it says that ther already exist a paypal acct with that email. It seems the BP online system wants you to creat a new Paypal acct within their portal and you cannot attach an existing Paypal acct?
Very confusing1 Anyone run thru this?

you are right, and the words on your screen state it exactly that way,
that feature is to "create a new paypal account/para CREAR su cuenta paypal".
what you have to do to connect with your existing account is to "connect a paypal account".
i don't know how to do it yourself, as we had the bank manager doing it for us.

Mike

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
In "crear cuenta" you can add an existing one if I recall it correctly. I have three added and I think i did it that way. I did it by myself.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
In "crear cuenta" you can add an existing one if I recall it correctly. I have three added and I think i did it that way. I did it by myself.

i filled out the section with my existing PP acct. and it rejected stating that email already exist with another acct. So it looks like it only accepts new acct signup info is my guess.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
No, I had my account before and added it. Maybe it was the other way around and adding the BPD bank account to the PP account. I don't remember.