Bank charges

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I know my UK bank sticks a 2.5% charge on anything I do overseas. What about cou ter withdrawals at Banco popular, Last I used was 3% for the luxury.
Only other way of getting out more than ATM limits would be using Western Union, to myself then avoid all charges other than the ?3.90 fee for using them. But WU to myself, is that even possible?
Any new ideas on avoiding bank withdrawal charges

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
You could check if you could get better rates with a local or international prepaid credit/debit card. In the UK I know of Skrill (ex. Moneybookers) does offer prepaid MasterCards, I do not (yet) have personal experience on their rate structure, but I have understood that the ATM charges they charge (whatever the DR bank charges, comes separately), are much lower than with many banks.

WU I would personally avoid if possible, they might kill with the exchange rate even if their "visible" fee would be tolerable.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have a prepaid mastercard. They charge 1% by transaction ( either payement or withdrawl ). But kill u on the xchange rate. Plus ofcourse the standard 125 pesos fee if u use a dr ATM.

I use RIA, send myself or get someone to send cash. Good xchange rate especially after 1400H french time. They even send u SMS when the xchange goes above a prearranged rate. 5chf up to 1500chf. Deliever to u house or else have a great number of places u can pick up ( caribe xpress......).

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Not to hijack this thread and maybe it's slightly related so I'll ask...

My CC's are all US-based, amex, citi, chase, the usual suspects. I forgot to pad my US bank account so I could do minimum payments online while wintering in the DR. I would rather not do a wire transfer from an overseas account to the US account for a variety of reasons -- none involving illegality but based on the principles of privacy.

What options, if any, do I have?

Feb 7, 2007
Go to s DR bank and get issued a USD check in your name and deposit the check into your account, most US banks mow accept scanned or photographed checks up to a certain amount. The fees at DR banks are low for this, maybe a 5 or 10 dollar fee.