banking from the US to the DR

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
In most Latino neighborhoods there are places that send money - we use one that charges us $5 to send a few hundred dollars to SD every month. They deliver it right to the door, and they deliver in dollars. Ask around. Usually a sign in the window that says Envio Dinero, and either the names of the countries or their flags are below it.

AE
I have heard of these informal networks. Bravo if it works! A few hundred extra pesos for La Familia in the DR as a result of cheaper transfer fees is a welcoming thought................

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Same with me at ScotiaBank.... no incoming charges for wires.

But wiring is becoming more difficult in No.America..... they ask you come into the branch in person to execute a wire.
In my case, because I am a regular wirer, they allow me presign the form but ONLY if the transfer is to myself.
If I want to wire to a contractor or friend... I MUST appear in person at the bank.
These are new regulations just enacted in the past few months in Canada... I hven't tried it in the US but I expect it will be the same.

WW

that's all to prevent moneylaundering by the darn internet, and appreciated of course.
from Europe I can wire my money to the DR Dollar account by online banking, but the money always has to been proofed clean, proofed the source where it comes from. during the last 18 months I been asked to provide such proof by the european authorities twice, on the first attempt 2 accounts even been frozen in for sending/withdrawing money for 3 days till my provided data been checked and approofed to be clean.
but those are understandable measures,
otherwise the internet would be a perfect source to clean money around the Globe.
til today,
money wires from europe to the caribbean can still be done by online banking.
Mike

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
I repeat

You can send up to $500 dollars through Moneygram from anywhere in the US to anywhere in the DR and they will deliver $500 in US Dollars right to your door for a fee of $9. This is a two hour service. If this is too complicated of a concept you probably shouldn't be handling that amount of money.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can send up to $500 dollars through Moneygram from anywhere in the US to anywhere in the DR and they will deliver $500 in US Dollars right to your door for a fee of $9. This is a two hour service. If this is too complicated of a concept you probably shouldn't be handling that amount of money.

Have you ever tried it? I have, no chance you will get US dollars, end of story.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and all that not just for 9 bucks,
but also within 2 hrs from everywhere in the US to everywhere in the DR????
Man,
do yourself a favor and leave those hard drugs for a while,
those High Dreams have nothing to do with reality.
Mike

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
Man, you better stick to your day job and I hope it has nothing to do with math...

I just checked the Money Gram website and using their cost estimator it costs $45.00 US to send $500.00 US Home Delivery to the Dominican Republic. If you know of something better, please provide proof to backup your statements.

Reactions: Africaida

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Man, you better stick to your day job and I hope it has nothing to do with math...

I just checked the Money Gram website and using their cost estimator it costs $45.00 US to send $500.00 US Home Delivery to the Dominican Republic. If you know of something better, please provide proof to backup your statements.

Do not use home delivery, it will NEVER get there. You can get it at BHD bank or Banco Popular. And the price above is right, not $9. Also you will get paid in Pesos at a bad rate. Not the best option for sending cash to the DR.

Reactions: MikeFisher

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
We have covered this already. Open a Bank of America account, send the VISA debit card to the DR and withdraw there in any Scotiabank bank available, no fees whatsoever and the best exchange rate you will ever get.

Reactions: Onions/Carrots

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Gentlemen

Go to any Walmart. Ask them for their Moneygram Home Delivery Service in US Dollars. You give them a address and a contact phone number in the DR. Up to five hundred dollars in US dollars will arrive at the address you provided within two hours for a fee of $9.90. Dominican horror stories do not apply to this transaction. This has been done countless times to countless locations in the DR. BTW, please tip the motoconcho 100 pesos so that the service continues to be delivered with a smile.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Go to any Walmart. Ask them for their Moneygram Home Delivery Service in US Dollars. You give them a address and a contact phone number in the DR. Up to five hundred dollars in US dollars will arrive at the address you provided within two hours for a fee of $9.90. Dominican horror stories do not apply to this transaction. This has been done countless times to countless locations in the DR. BTW, please tip the motoconcho 100 pesos so that the service continues to be delivered with a smile.

Would you be willing to wager on this? I say you will not get the money delivered in Dollars. If it is ever even delivered.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Sky

I was reluctant to post this information as this is by far the most cost effective and convienent way to send money to the DR. It's like a glitch in the Moneygram service. This service and fee is rarely used and I'm sure it's under their radar. The clerk at the Walmart you go to might never have done this type of moneygram. They will charge you about $45 to send $500 to be picked up at a Moneygram location in the DR. They will charge you less of a fee but rape you on the exchange rate if you send pesos, but for some unknown reason they will deliver hard US cash to your house for $9.90. So don't confirm the "pearls before swine" adage by maligning my math skills or infering my drug usage, you have been given a pearl so just go use it. You can PM me your apology.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I was reluctant to post this information as this is by far the most cost effective and convienent way to send money to the DR. It's like a glitch in the Moneygram service. This service and fee is rarely used and I'm sure it's under their radar. The clerk at the Walmart you go to might never have done this type of moneygram. They will charge you about $45 to send $500 to be picked up at a Moneygram location in the DR. They will charge you less of a fee but rape you on the exchange rate if you send pesos, but for some unknown reason they will deliver hard US cash to your house for $9.90. So don't confirm the "pearls before swine" adage by maligning my math skills or infering my drug usage, you have been given a pearl so just go use it.

I am willing to put up $1,000 US that says you cannot do this. All you have to do is match it and send someone we trust money and see what happens. I have dealt with MG at least 50 times. You cannot do this.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I love it :cheeky:..... a gambling thread here on DR1

Let's try it... its worth $10 to see if it works

We "the swine" before which these pearls lie are excited to see the result

I vote we send $$$ to DR Bob (not Sosua vet Dr Bob) or CobraBob/y

Let the games begin :pirate:

WW

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I love it :cheeky:..... a gambling thread here on DR1

Let's try it... its worth $10 to see if it works

We "the swine" before which these pearls lie are excited to see the result

I vote we send $$$ to DR Bob (not Sosua vet Dr Bob) or CobraBob/y

Let the games begin :pirate:

WW

Fine with me, he can bet higher if he wants.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Before you all lose your lunch money

Anyone who PM's me a fax number (in the US) I will fax a reciept which will contain the complete confirmation of the information I have provided.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No favorites here with me BUT...... GolferMan has been on this forum for longer than a lot of people

It may.... just may.... be that he has the experience to back this up

If he does..... we all win:bunny:

WW
Chief Arbiter

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
I was reluctant to post this information as this is by far the most cost effective and convienent way to send money to the DR. It's like a glitch in the Moneygram service. This service and fee is rarely used and I'm sure it's under their radar. The clerk at the Walmart you go to might never have done this type of moneygram.
They will charge you about $45 to send $500 to be picked up at a Moneygram location in the DR
. They will charge you less of a fee but rape you on the exchange rate if you send pesos, but for some unknown reason they will deliver hard US cash to your house for $9.90. So don't confirm the "pearls before swine" adage by maligning my math skills or infering my drug usage, you have been given a pearl so just go use it. You can PM me your apology.
My dear friend, you state that "they (moneygram) will charge you about $45 to send $500 to be picked up at a moneygram location in the DR" ??

Sending USD to a moneygram location in the DR is not even an option with moneygram. They will only do USD on the home delivery method.

I have used walmart locations in Florida to send money to the DR. I paid $9.90 to send USD $300 to be converted to pesos and picked up in the DR at a moneygram location. The reason moneygram charges higher fees on transferring USD by way of Home Delivery (ie $45 to send $500) is that they do not make extra on the currency conversion transfer.

I have sent moneygram transfers through moneygram agents from some pretty out of the way Caribbean islands, most recently from a travel agent in Bequia and a grocery store in Grenada, and they all use computers connected to the moneygram network to process the transfer. I find it hard to believe that walmart, of all moneygram agents, would not be connected to the moneygram network where the transfer fees would be automatically calculated by the computer.............

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Mr. Webster, finally a sage! I find all this discussion over a matter of fact to be quite frustrating. I suppose I would be incredulous also if I discovered I had been paying countless dollars in unnessary fees.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2003
We have covered this already. Open a Bank of America account, send the VISA debit card to the DR and withdraw there in any Scotiabank bank available, no fees whatsoever and the best exchange rate you will ever get.

What is your advice on just using credit cards to pull money from ATM's in the DR?

I've always done this but haven't considered the cost. I read in my statements a foreign exchange fee but never got around to calculating the cost.

What's your advice on this?