BANRESERVAS DEBIT CARD SCAM

I have had a savings account with Banreservas since April 2013 and during all these years I have never had any problems.
On December 28th, 2020 I was looking at my balance on the Banreservas application and I saw an unauthorised charge for $26,085 Dominican pesos. I had left the DR on December 16th, so I wasn’t even there when this happened. I won’t be back there again until April 5th.
I contacted Banreservas immediately and they opened an investigation and gave me a claim number.
I’ve been calling them every two weeks to see what progress they’re making and each time they say it’s still being investigated.
Yesterday I called and the woman I spoke to said that the claim was denied, but that she doesn’t know why because “the investigation is performed internally and they didn’t give a reason “.
Banreservas does not protect their customer’s account against fraud or unauthorised charges??
Other expats I’ve talked to who had identical situations say they got their money back.
Does anyone here have any suggestions as to how I should handle this. As I said at the start, this is the first problem that I’ve ever had since opening the account.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A similar thing happened to my wife's card years ago. Charges were made in Santiago when we were in the USA.
We disputed it, they said they would drop the charge. Then they didn't. Identical results to you.
I still recall how we both felt about that.

I have had my credit card cloned in the DR twice. US cards and charges were refunded and new cards issued. I don't use credit cards any more in the DR.
It is not worth the hassle even though I lost no money.

She doesn't use any debit/credit cards at all any more in the DR.

I use my Schwab card in ATMs. Works well, with no problems. That is the only place I use "plastic" in the DR.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
And then there are those of us who have used their CC here for decades without an issue.

Personal choice of course, but it doesn't happen to everyone.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I have had a savings account with Banreservas since April 2013 and during all these years I have never had any problems.
On December 28th, 2020 I was looking at my balance on the Banreservas application and I saw an unauthorised charge for $26,085 Dominican pesos. I had left the DR on December 16th, so I wasn’t even there when this happened. I won’t be back there again until April 5th.
I contacted Banreservas immediately and they opened an investigation and gave me a claim number.
I’ve been calling them every two weeks to see what progress they’re making and each time they say it’s still being investigated.
Yesterday I called and the woman I spoke to said that the claim was denied, but that she doesn’t know why because “the investigation is performed internally and they didn’t give a reason “.
Banreservas does not protect their customer’s account against fraud or unauthorised charges??
Other expats I’ve talked to who had identical situations say they got their money back.
Does anyone here have any suggestions as to how I should handle this. As I said at the start, this is the first problem that I’ve ever had since opening the account.

Don’t waste your time with them, just get a lawyer and see how quick the cash goes back into your account and your lawyer fees are paid...

Feb 7, 2007
Don’t waste your time with them, just get a lawyer and see how quick the cash goes back into your account and your lawyer fees are paid...

Get to speak to the physical person in branch and ask that they give you official reply (it must be on letterhead and signed, stamped) of claim denial, for purposes of Superintendency of Banks . You must tell them it's for this purpose as the Legal Department of the bank will need to provide this document and send it to branch, so it will not be given to you the same day. Then open up claim with Superintendencia de Bancos with your supporting documentation and there is a big chance you will get your money back as the SDEB rules monthly in favor of banking users in amonths of millions of pesos.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Get to speak to the physical person in branch and ask that they give you official reply (it must be on letterhead and signed, stamped) of claim denial, for purposes of Superintendency of Banks . You must tell them it's for this purpose as the Legal Department of the bank will need to provide this document and send it to branch, so it will not be given to you the same day. Then open up claim with Superintendencia de Bancos with your supporting documentation and there is a big chance you will get your money back as the SDEB rules monthly in favor of banking users in amonths of millions of pesos.
And all of those millions don't even scratch the surface of all the money they rake in every year.

Thank you VERY Much for this information. I contacted a lawyer in Santiago that I know (Dolly Cabrera) and I’ll mention this Superintendencia de Bancos to her.