barrel shipping

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
Pacheco Express Shipping Inc.

Another option (In NYC) is Pacheco Express Shipping Inc. (718) 294-3035. I bought a blue barrel elsewhere but this company came to pick it up from my office. Keep in mind, it doesn't go on the ship the same they pick up the barrel. My family in DR got the barrel (Door to Door service) got it in exactly three weeks from the day it was picked up at my office. I never have to pay fees, duties fees or anything else. My barrel comes with a watertight seal on top and I can attach a small lock on it as well, mine was never broken off. When you put a shipping address on the barrel, it is best to use a black marker and write it directly on the barrel itself.

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
Anything that fits in there. We've shipped 5 of them since October: kitchen stuff, a microwave, clothing, dishes, ceramic crocks [that hold the 5 gallon bottles], good pots and pans, electronic stuff, even a chainsaw. You name it, we've shipped it. Fill anything with space inside - the microwave is filled with "stuff". Inside the big ceramic crocks too. I've only had one thing break - a corning ware baking dish. It gets delivered right to the door.

AE

Your microwave oven arrived in DR ok?
I am planning to send a large one soon and am worrying about keeping it intact. I will put inside some new towels to cushion the inside of the oven. Anything else I could do?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This problem is in Texas

BTW... my fastest delivery was 2 weeks... Awilda Shipping from Brooklyn to Cabrera..... \

Dropped off between Xmas & New Years... onboard the next day...mid-January delivery

This year it took about a month but that was in the "busy" season.... Noviembre:eek:

WW

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Your microwave oven arrived in DR ok?
I am planning to send a large one soon and am worrying about keeping it intact. I will put inside some new towels to cushion the inside of the oven. Anything else I could do?

It's still in-transit, so I'm hoping it arrives OK. I padded under it with some big bath sheet towels, wrapped the glass revolving tray in bubble wrap, and packed some soft things inside the microwave with it so nothing will bounce around. We shipped it in a barrel rather than a box and just padded around the outside of the microwave with clothing, sheets, towels, etc.

It won't arrive until late January, so time will tell how it arrives.

AE

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
SHipping from Miami

Would you please forward the company and number in Miami of the folks that will ship a barrel to POP.
Sounds like the way to go from Pompano Beach.
Thanks

Reactions: Bronxboy

dondada

Aug 20, 2008
New Orleans - Louisiana
Is there an issue with microwaves in the Dom.Rep.? My friend just asked me to bring him one but I dont think I can check that as apart of my luggage.

Plaza Lama's facebook page has two different LG's for about $100 bucks.

The correct # Nunez Shipping 504-234-3580, in New Orleans.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Is there an issue with microwaves in the Dom.Rep.? My friend just asked me to bring him one but I dont think I can check that as apart of my luggage.

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that Plaza Lama sells a lot of refurbished electronic items. You'd probably have to pack the microwave into a box and ship it [$75 from most places], negating any savings anyway.

AE

Jan 9, 2004
Yes you can...

bring a microwave in checked luggage. Done it twice to be exact...before airlines instituted bag fees (this may or may not affect a cost saving analysis). Both times I took the micro out of the box to have more room in the luggage.

As was posted by AE, wrap it good...use towels, sheets etc., never bubble wrap...as that is just wasted space. Besides, the towels, sheets etc., can also be part of your gift. Fill the interior of the microwave with those Ramen noodles. I find they are almost a dominican staple.

Lots of good advice here on sending stuff....so let me add this...If you do send boxes, use or buy the 27" TV box most movers sell. Then get 12x12x8 boxes for the smaller items . They fit like a glove....so no wasted space (hint-try the post office for these small boxes).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
$75 for a small box(Called a "Dish Barrel" by moving companies),and $125 for a large box,(called a TV/microwave box by moving companies). Price includes the box,and door 2 door shipping. Sent 7 boxes since november, 30 days average shipping time. No customs,even with new desktop computer,2 flat screen 22: monitors,wireless HP printer,convection oven,all new in boxes.
cris colon
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Thanks Criss, went to the city of sin, got my barrel ( $30 for barrel and $125 door to door ) and was assured it will show up in Santiago when i get there next month. Way better than paying for and lugging down extra suitcases.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bad news!

Today my sister-in-law told us that the Dominican papers have announced that the end of door-to-door shipping of boxes and barrels is nearing an end. They will all have to pass through customs and taxes will have to be paid by the recipient based on the contents. They'll have to be physically picked up.

The effective date has not been set yet, so if anyone is on the fence about shipping something, now is the time to do it!!!!

AE

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Times is hard for the customs I guess so they are going for the little stuff to stuff thier wallets!!

perello24

Jan 23, 2011
I live in West Texas, and my husband is the ONLY Dominican in town. So we are totally out of the way. But I know there has to be a place somewhere in Texas who ships barrels from TX to Santo Domingo. I would love to send my mother in law a couple but don't know of any reliable shippers here in Texas. Any Dominicans here in Texas ex. Houston or Dallas PLEASE let me know some info. I wouldn't mind going to Dallas to ship.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
P 24
I ve been looking for 1 month now ,out of Houston,I found 2 shippers here but only to rio haina,nobody to pop
Manu

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Today my sister-in-law told us that the Dominican papers have announced that the end of door-to-door shipping of boxes and barrels is nearing an end. They will all have to pass through customs and taxes will have to be paid by the recipient based on the contents. They'll have to be physically picked up.

The effective date has not been set yet, so if anyone is on the fence about shipping something, now is the time to do it!!!!

AE

AE... can you or anybody confirm this... hard to believe its true. ???

We really do need to know..... I use them regularly as do all of my friends.

Just little stuff - often below the $200 limit if taken separatley.

I hope its not true

WW

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
ANyone have a contact in the philadelphia area?

You re going to have to look in Central and Northern New Jersey around Newark, Elizabeth, etc. They do come and pick it up. I know they cover A-B-E on the NE Pa side. There may be places in Cherry Hill or South Jersey, but guaranteed places in Northern Jersey

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
ANyone have a contact in the philadelphia area?

There are a couple in Camden that will pick up in Philly - try:

Embarque Bellavista [we've used them for years, they also pick up in AC]
1715 Mount Ephraim Ave
Camden, NJ 08104-1827
Phone:(856) 966-5180

or

Embarque Camden
(1-866) 863-9590

There are probably others, if I find out the names I'll post them for you

AE