barrel shipping

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
AE....... any more word on the cessation of this service?

My lawn mower is breaking..... I want to squeeze a 'fridge in before the cut-off.... muchas mas...

thanks
WW

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
QQ: Can i ship anything in there? what about thief?

We've put just about anything in there. Sometimes they inspect them, but it's rare. About the only things I'd never put in there are cash or guns.

We've been doing this for decades - some things have arrived broken, but I can't think of anything that was stolen. Just be smart about what you put in there, if it's small and expensive...well....:ermm:

AE....... any more word on the cessation of this service?

My lawn mower is breaking..... I want to squeeze a 'fridge in before the cut-off.... muchas mas...

thanks
WW

They won't stop the service - it just may be subject to taxes based on what's inside, plus the rumor is that they won't deliver door-to-door [I was told that we would have to pick them up ourselves in Haina].

That being said .... to the best of my knowledge there has been nothing more in the Press about this. My husband thinks that it will never come to be once they realize the work involved, personnel necessary, the businesses that will fail [shippers employ ppl in DR too!], etc.

I hope he's right.

We just bought a new full size GE Fridge at La Sirena for 25,000 pesos. I don't think it's worth paying for shipping plus taxes to send one from US.

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We've put just about anything in there. Sometimes they inspect them, but it's rare. About the only things I'd never put in there are cash or guns.

We've been doing this for decades - some things have arrived broken, but I can't think of anything that was stolen. Just be smart about what you put in there, if it's small and expensive...well....:ermm:

They won't stop the service - it just may be subject to taxes based on what's inside, plus the rumor is that they won't deliver door-to-door [I was told that we would have to pick them up ourselves in Haina].

That being said .... to the best of my knowledge there has been nothing more in the Press about this. My husband thinks that it will never come to be once they realize the work involved, personnel necessary, the businesses that will fail [shippers employ ppl in DR too!], etc.

I hope he's right.

We just bought a new full size GE Fridge at La Sirena for 25,000 pesos. I don't think it's worth paying for shipping plus taxes to send one from US.

AE

Don't we all hope this true !!

I agree w/ you -- we usually just put in those little things that you can't get .
Of course, the mower and the 'fridge are there too... but infrequently.

The nicest thing is that you need not be here to get the shipment... comes right to the house and is waiting for you to arrive.

I use Awilda in NYC.... 'fridge shipping is $300 for new --$200 for used....
25,000 pesos was a good deal

WW

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Both Of those numbers are not in service. Any other locations in the Philly area.

Bellavista must have closed their office - call them in NY at (718) 378-5252 and they will tell you where they pick up in Camden. I don't think they pick up in Philly.

AE

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
Container shipping

If it was me.... I would select a Miami shipper and work backwards.

Call the MIA shipper and ask how to get the barrel to them.

That way, they will be in the loop all the way.

I used this method with my container a few years ago...... started with the broker/customs clearance company in SDQ (Hispaniola Freight) and worked backwards to Philadelphia.
They orchestrated the pick up (incl auto) and shepherded the shipment all the way to Cabrera.

Hope this helps

WW

Hi WW,

Would you mind posting or sending me a PM with more info on your experience with shipping by container? (eg. cost, time, logistics)I am interested in sending a container from Vancouver, Canada to the DR.

Thanks so much,

CW

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hi WW,

Would you mind posting or sending me a PM with more info on your experience with shipping by container? (eg. cost, time, logistics)I am interested in sending a container from Vancouver, Canada to the DR.

Thanks so much,

CW

If I can help...... your time will be different from Vancouver.

It was 3 years ago... container arrived within the month - it all depends on the sailing date.
We docked in Caucedo - the new port near Las Americas airport. Apparently, this is the least corrupt--- was the least corrupt -- don't know about now.
Haina and POP are to be avoided, I was told. In fact, the Aduana itself told us not to fall for the cons at POP.... such as paying a 100 peso fee to be permitted onto the dock.

You need to pack everything in boxes like a house move. They bring the container to you - in my case it was free for 2 hours, then an hourly charge would kick in. I shipped a car too, so I needed a flatbed to get the up to dock height. Two hours is plenty of time.
I used a mover service to pack some boxes and to pack all of the container....b/c that container takes quite a ride.... way up in the air, swinging onto the boat, etc. We chocked the car and strapped it down.
They've been known to drop the container rather hard at times.

The cost was less than $5000, if i recall.... just the shipping. We were arriving residents , so the personal effects were free and the car was reduced.

First trip to the dock is to identify/claim your shipment.... then Aduana.... then back to the dock to transfer the shipment to go overland.... our 40' container shrunk to 20' after the car came out.

We were door to door.... you have to be. It was $700 more for the Rd land portion from Caucedo to the North Coast (Cabrera)

The company in Rd was Hispaniola Freight fro Sto Domingo.... the contact (if she's still there) was Wendoline de Pena..... there are English speakers there.
They have a website.

Whew!..... hope that helps. Good luck

WW

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
Wow thats quite the process WW, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I will make use of the info you provided.

Cheers,

CW

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
Oh, by the way I work at a container port here and I am aware of the punishment they sometimes receive. You really do have to pack you things well.

Thanks again.

CW

dondada

Aug 20, 2008
New Orleans - Louisiana
Is there an issue with microwaves in the Dom.Rep.? My friend just asked me to bring him one but I dont think I can check that as apart of my luggage.

Plaza Lama's facebook page has two different LG's for about $100 bucks.

The correct # Nunez Shipping 504-234-3580, in New Orleans.

I was able to place the microwave in a suitcase, un-boxed and bring it to PUJ. I also brought a microwave food cover. No problem with customs.

Thanks

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I shipped an inflatable kayak, an A/C and a Generator last time around - $75 for the barrel, $25 for shipping door to door (Lancaster, Pa. - to SDQ) - delivered to my door (3rd floor).
Use the barrels for water storage just in case.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What about this whole thing about custums allowing you a one time move free of fees?

If you obtain residency, you may bring in a container of personal effects free of charge within 6 months of obtaining that residency.

There is also an allowance for returning citizens...

WW

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you obtain residency, you may bring in a container of personal effects free of charge within 6 months of obtaining that residency.

There is also an allowance for returning citizens...

WW

I'm wondering - is the allowance for returning citizens EXACTLY the same as for new residents? In other words, does it matter if *I* get residency and bring in the container - or if he brings it in as a returning Dominican?? Maybe this belongs in legal....

AE

P

Peach Tree

Who is Jose in Miami? I am looking to ship from Miami. please help.

If you're talking about taking the bus yourself... the boxes will be your luggage - FREE !!

I'm talking about just shipping the boxes to Jose in Miami and he sends them on to RD
You fly

WW

Hi, I am trying to ship from Miami but I can not find the shipper out of Miami. Lots of talk of Jose being good but not how to find him. Thanks for the help.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Larmar out of Miami thy pick up . (954) 444-5825
Call (786) 531-8731 he sels the barrels he is in homestead.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've been back in NJ for 4 days, yesterday we went to Pathmark to refill the kitchen cabinets and fridge. In the dairy aisle Mr. AE says "Look up", and there above the yogurt and cottage cheese are about 10 big plastic barrels lined up - the exact ones we use for shipping to DR.

Not a bargain, same price as the shipper we use, but sometimes he's out of them, so good to know there's an alternative [at least until they sell out].