Baseball equiprment request

Status
Not open for further replies.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
In the area I live in we have 2 fields that the local kids use to host baseball games. They are pickup games and these kids have a great time.

Unfortunately they have almost no equipment! Who is coming down soon and would like to help us out??? Please bring us the gear your own kids outgrew from last year. Please bring us the gloves, shoes, bats, balls etc etc.

Contact me by PM or email and I will arrange to get the items picked up at your hotel on the north coast.

If we get more then we can use - rest assured there are lots of other kids in need and I will find them.

Thanks in advance.

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007
I was planning on bring some baseball equip. when I come in 20 days 5 hours & 6 mins.:cheeky: but I'm already stocked with things to bring. Are their any sporting goods stores around POP where items could be purchased for a resonable cost?

In the area I live in we have 2 fields that the local kids use to host baseball games. They are pickup games and these kids have a great time.

Unfortunately they have almost no equipment! Who is coming down soon and would like to help us out??? Please bring us the gear your own kids outgrew from last year. Please bring us the gloves, shoes, bats, balls etc etc.

Contact me by PM or email and I will arrange to get the items picked up at your hotel on the north coast.

If we get more then we can use - rest assured there are lots of other kids in need and I will find them.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 19, 2005
I am coming down tomorrow. I already have a dozen new baseballs I was bringing for the neighborhood. I cant find bats or gloves in the goodwill's where I live. I think the little leagues are coming by and picking them all up.

i can get another dozen balls if you like.....

I will be in Cabarete sat, sunday, and monday......

Bob

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
For those who are interested but don't have equipment you can try eBay.

Baseballs, little league hardball, can be purchased for about $1.25 a piece if you buy by the dozen. Softballs by the 6-pack are about the same price. Baseball gloves in the 11" - 12.5" size can be found from $5 - $15. Used or new the kids will be happy, happy, happy. So far I have not found a way to buy cheap baseball bats. I never knew they were so expensive. Athletics Closeouts sometimes has little league bats for $20 and up. A 28" bat will fit diagonally in your 25' garment bag with no problem.

For the tennis players if you have old tennis balls around the house bring them down with you and just hand them out to the kids in the streets. Don't play tennis? eBay always has bags of 25 balls for $25 or less. The kids in the streets can always find a stick to start playing baseball.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
There are stores but the choices are limited and what we have is generally expensive. ILLINIFAN - are you excited or what????

Thanks for the ideas on Ebay.

Thanks Bob - see you on the beach this weekend - or maybe the dance floor!

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007
What gave me away?;)
If I was a better golfer and didn't need so much room for all those extra golf balls I'd have lots of space.:eek::eek:
I'll see what I can squeeze in my golf bag.

There are stores but the choices are limited and what we have is generally expensive. ILLINIFAN - are you excited or what????

Thanks for the ideas on Ebay.

Thanks Bob - see you on the beach this weekend - or maybe the dance floor!

Sep 19, 2005
go to WALMART.....even up here in the Northeast you can buy stuff cheap there...so down south they are probably even cheaper.

I bought a dozen Franklin baseballs for $9 official size with cork centers.

I had actually bought a dozen for the kids near my GFs house and when i saw this i went back. they were sold out but they have Rawlings offical baseballs for little league for $1.46 each!!!

pretty cheap.

i bought 2 louisville slugger bats , about 30" for $14.50 a piece!!!!!

they had gloves 11" for as cheap as $19 that looked good....

I found out that GOODWILL doesnt accept used baseball equipment., off the street, because of Liability.....

no wonder I cant find anything in those places

they might sell brand new stuff if they get it in to their store from corporate.

and around here all the little league coaches buy up all the baseball equipment they find at yard sales.

so i am bringing some stuff...i hope it doesnt get ripped off at the airport.

Darlene...see you at the beach. maybe I can rub some lotion on ya!!:ninja::ninja::ninja:

bad bob

Lis

Nov 2, 2007
Let me know how your collection is going....I am coming down on May 24th and will def. bring some stuff down to you.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i am coming down 4 june to either sosua or cabarete (undecided). what size shoes are we talking about ? do they use batting helmets ?

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
baseball equip

I am a high school teacher and coach here in Florida and always bring down a dozen or so balls and a few old glove from the school....I am now being motivated to bring more! I will be there the 2nd week of June

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks everyone. We need shoes of all sizes Kyle. As to batting helmets, they don't seem to use them in pick up games but seem to have them with organized games.

I received a bat and dozen balls on Monday - thanks Bob. Immediately the kids were on the beach hitting a ball and chasing it....

We need everything so whatever people can do is awesome. Just contact me by PM or email and I will arrange to get things picked up! As soon as I can I will post some photos too!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
ILLINIFAN brought down a huge bag of equipment and yesterday we distributed this to a local group of kids. Many showed up at the ball field in bare feet or flip flops. They have no gloves, uniforms or other items we take for granted.

What they all have is a love of the game, a need to play organized sports! These kids are awesome. I have photos and will post them tomorrow as soon as I upload them from my camera!

It is amazing to see the talent on kids as young as 6!!!! I think in my next life I should be a baseball scout!!!!

Thanks ILLINIFAN, thanks Bad BOB........

We still need lots and lots of shoes, gloves, bats, balls. Anything you can bring will be soooooooooo appreciated! We felt so bad when we ran out of items and one little guy was in tears. I have promised him shoes and will go buy them if we can't get any donated..... but I am sure I can count on everyone to help out!

Sep 19, 2005
way to go Darlene. The tags sales up here in the northeast are realling in swing now.. and I have found some items. So my collection is growing for my next trip down....

I figured shoes would be the easiest to find, because they definately outgrow them, and faster than other items.....but no luck yet.

bob

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks honey - you rock....

I have connected with a local man who is charge of the league in the area. He is in need of just about everything. I told him we will do what we can - but - on a continuing basis! there will always be a need.

And I can guarantee that these items will be used - passed on when out grown - and used until they fall apart. What kids in North America consider to be old and worn we consider to be treasures here!

There must be leagues out there with older uniforms they are no longer using. Help... we need them.....

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Congratulations planner on pulling this off and well done to everyone chipping in....
I can't really help with this one - Baseball is something we don't see a lot of in the UK (and that is a massive understatement) - but my thoughts and good wishes are with you all - I can just picture the kids faces!
Rio

infinityx

May 13, 2008
I'm going to Bluebay on 5/31 to 6/4. I'd like to help in some
way if someone gets back to me with some suggestions.
I don't want to lug allot of stuff from NJ, but I'll donate.

I sent Planner a pm, but didn't get back to me yet.

X

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Photos

baseball2.jpg

Three very happy players, the little guy in the middle - while very young is quite an amazing kid!

baseball1.jpg

The whole group from one Sunday morning pickup game. Some got bats, others shoes and others gloves or balls.

We kept 2 bats, 2 gloves and 2 balls so we always have the basics for a new pickup game!

Thanks everyone, we still desperately need shoes, gloves, uniforms etc etc... anything you can do to help is appreciated. Some of these kids were playing in bare feet - they don't even have running shoes let alone ball shoes.

JimmTwo

May 18, 2008
Hi Planner; this probably a dumb question.... Hard ball or soft ball or either ?
either way we will see what we can do . Good luck

worldwide scots

Jun 2, 2008
Baseballs

I will be in Cabarete 7th june for one week I can bring 10 used baseballs if you require, please contact me.

Status
Not open for further replies.