BATLLE TENANT VS LANDLORD

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Landlord is Canadian, tenant is Canadian. What are the rules back home. Pay on the first or the day before. Why does he think that he can be 5 days late in this country? Is the mortgage company goes to wait or do they take their payment automatically. PAY your rent on time or have arrangements made in advance with the landlord. This subject makes my blood boil....Im going for a drink.

ogunjobi123

Jul 25, 2019
There's a week window. I own now so I don't worry about it. My old lease's always stated rent is due on the 1st and late by 5th end of day

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My leases here in the DR have always contained a similar clause defining when the rent is supposed to be paid and when it is in fact late and incurs a penalty.

Being a landlord myself, I always give my tenants a note indicating that I understand that sometimes financial pressures or situations outside a tenant's control may result in a rent payment being late. I explain that if I am informed beforehand of a late payment I am prepared to give a reasonable extension without a financial penalty. However, I also make it very clear that these situations are expected to be few and far between.

A tenant who is late with rent more than once a year usually turns out to be someone who has insufficient resources to meet all of their financial commitments. Landlords know that when it comes to choosing which bills tenants choose to pay first and which are set aside, the rent is usually near the top of the deferral list for tenants - new brakes for their car, cable/internet etc always seem to be a higher priority.

This situation is between a landlord and an acquaintance that have a previous relationship to some extend. There may well be more than just a late rent payment at work here. Toss a Dominican wife into the mix and it can get complicated quickly. Perhaps the wife has family that is looking for a new place to live and this tenant is in the way.

Could speculate all day. Being late with rent payments is the fastest and best way to anger your landlord who then easily draws the conclusion that this tenant has to go...

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
As I have posted before, Dominican law is very protective of tenant rights. The landlord cannot just evict you or raise the rent at will. He has to go through an administrative procedure.

You seem to have a contract, a verbal contract, the existence of which you can prove with your rent receipts. If the owner refuses to accept the rent, you can deposit it at the nearest Banco Agricola.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
There's a week window. I own now so I don't worry about it. My old lease's always stated rent is due on the 1st and late by 5th end of day

Sir og, late is late. Exercising irresponsible habits is disrespectful here or anywhere.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sir og, late is late. Exercising irresponsible habits is disrespectful here or anywhere.

Every home I've rented since moving down here has been with the
same agreement. Due on the first, late by the fifth. I think the
reason its always been like this is because of their (Dominican)
culture. Nothing happens here on time, nothing is paid here on time.

You are the first and only person I've ever heard say its irresponsible
or disrespectful. Maybe in the States or some other Western Country
but down here things move differently (thank god).

You're on island in the middle of the Caribbean. Relax man, its not that
serious.

Big

Apr 24, 2019

but down here things move differently. Your on island in the middle
of the Caribbean. Relax, its not that serious.

I work here! You are the only person I have ever heard that thinks its OK to be a derelict tenant. Irresponsibility and delinquency are hallmarks of disrespect in the business world and brand a person inconsiderate and a loser. Put that in your Caribbean pipe and smoke it.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Usually people that are late paying rent are carrying a large credit card balance, are delinquent in other bills and are sub standard employees at work, its all telling.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
we are talking about 2 Canadians. It is common in Canada to pay on time. Just because you are in a country with its people that are commonly late dosent make it right. If the landlord wanted to get his rent late im sure he could have rented to a Dominican but he rented to another Canadian thinking he would probably get paid on time.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I work here! You are the only person I have ever heard that thinks its OK to be a derelict tenant. Irresponsibility and delinquency are hallmarks of disrespect in the business world and brand a person inconsiderate and a loser. Put that in your Caribbean pipe and smoke it.

I don't smoke. Stop making a fool of yourself.
This is the Dominican Republic not the USA.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

serious.

Exactly.
Hardly anything or anyone is on time here........ why would rent be any different ?

That said it is not a great move to pay rent late if one considers staying any length of time in the place.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dominicans can be tardy - agreed

But Money !!??

horse of a different color
take no prisoners....

they're ruthless

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Landlords know that when it comes to choosing which bills tenants choose to pay first and which are set aside, the rent is usually near the top of the deferral list for tenants - new brakes for their car, cable/internet etc always seem to be a higher priority.

For us, it's always been the opposite, and I have very little understanding towards people who would act like you describe below. What good is a working car if you have no home to go to? Same for cable/internet, if you lose access to the property, how can you use the internet or the cable that you paid for? Rent is usually the biggest single monthly expense for tenants (I could be wrong, but it is for us, and always has been), so if you fall back on that, you might get yourself in serious trouble, as you might not be able to pay 2 months at a time, if your landlord would be to kind enough to accept one month delay. So once you get behind on rent, getting back on top of that might be easier said that done.

I would rather use other means of transport or go by foot than not pay my home on time...

All that above being said, my father-in-law is a landlord, whose all tenants are from here. I have heard some "nice" stories, I would not want to be in his shoes...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Coincidently, on both condos I owned in Florida, the maintenance fees were due on the 1st. Late fees were applied if not paid by the 5th.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Exactly.
Hardly anything or anyone is on time here........ why would rent be any different ?

That said it is not a great move to pay rent late if one considers staying any length of time in the place.

We have six apartment and one house we rent. Nani, the house renter is at times late by one day and none of the renters we've had for the past two years has been late once. All but one are Dominicans, the other is Venezuelan. We have a Dominican woman that lives in one apartment and she collects the rents and her husband does any maintenance for the apartments. They have a business in the building and get a cut rate.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

serious.

in New York tenants have ten days to pay the rent before its declared late ….I have one tenant who normally always uses up his extra days and another that always pays on the first day due

ogunjobi123

Jul 25, 2019
Lol, just don't pay your rent late

I always thought it meant we begin taking payments by on 1st and stop on 5th. Why not just make it due and late on the 1st. I always thought this was to stop a hundred people lined up at leasing office to pay rent on same day . I don't think people actually did this to be deadbeats. I was a fool i paid 1700 for a condo and now pay 550 for a house but I always assumed it's a window.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I always thought it meant we begin taking payments by on 1st and stop on 5th. Why not just make it due and late on the 1st. I always thought this was to stop a hundred people lined up at leasing office to pay rent on same day . I don't think people actually did this to be deadbeats. I was a fool i paid 1700 for a condo and now pay 550 for a house but I always assumed it's a window.

Wow!!! Rent, mortgage is due by the first. Tennant's have a month to get their payment in before being classified as a loser, I mean deliquent. If you live in a domicile with family and are late you would be classified a huge loser. Pay your bills on time if you live in Santiago or Cherry Hill N.J, can't believe this is a topic. Gonna go back to the Sosua thread.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
As long as the rental contract is still valid, rent payments are up-to-date, the tenant has not caused damage to the rental property or is the subject of complaints about their behavior, excessive noise etc, then the landlord cannot unilaterally terminate the rental agreement and force to move without notice.

Further, the landlord must provide notice of their intent to enter the rental property at least 24 hours in advance unless there is some sort of pressing circumstance that requires entry so that the problem can be immediately ameliorated.

To properly evict a tenant the landlord will need a court order. It can be difficult and time consuming to evict tenants that have possession of a rental property.

Obviously there is some sort of dispute between these two parties and addressing that might be a good first step. Unfortunately, landlords can make life difficult for tenants if they choose. Your friend needs to decide how much they are willing to put up with to remain where they are. Sometimes, choosing to give in and move is the best long term alternative to endless conflict. Informing the landlord that the tenant will vacate in 30/60 days may be enough to pause the dispute.

RE: the difficulty of evicting and removing a tenant. Many years ago, right here on DR1 there was a like and similar tread of evicting. In this case the tenant was a Dominican. Apparently, that adds to the length of time in the court system in the eviction process. Sometimes YEARS. Here' s what the owner did ( I believe he was Dominican also and a bit frustrated) He burnt the roof off of his house. Believe me it was reported on DR 1.

So, it's not easy to evict, but if you would like to hurry up on the penalties of a late paying tenant, there are way but you're going to jail. No different than the states. Be careful, you're only a guest in the DR.