Battery Bank

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm shopping around for a planta now. I'm leaning towards a Honda super silent 3000K inverter generator.

For long time outages, I'd use it occasionally for an hour or so to recharge batteries via the inverter while the fridge gets cold again, and the rest of the time would be just the inverter.

I'd love to find a Denyo super silent 12k , but they're like hens teeth these days and expensive when you find one.
I had our electrician rig the street power/inverter system so if the power goes out for a long period (we went without power for two days earlier in the year), and there is no more battery mojo to power the inverter, I drag a potable 3.5kw generator outside, crank it up, and plug it into the house power, making sure we are disconnected from the street. He also added a light that shows when we have street power, so I know when to revert to "normal."

3.5k is the same as our inverter, so we can power everything the inverter does when necessary.

This simple, inexpensive, elegant system has been a lifesaver several times at Camp Moto.

Of course, if we wanted to run the a/c, water heater or add more electronic gadgets, 3.5k is underpowered. But for temporary needs, it works well.

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
I bought a 5kW gasoline generator at Lucho Crane company in Santiago (near Caribe Tour and Luis Gomez Solar store on 27 Febrero). They converted it to propane. To get 5kW out of it you have to use the 220V output. I had a 2:1 transformer sized for 5kW on my boat when I arrived here, so now that is between the generator and the house inverter - it steps the 220 to 110 and when the generator is running, it runs the house plus energizes the battery charger in the inverter. I actually have an installed spare inverter and the generator powers them both, but they don't both like to charge at the same time, so one starts charging and the other one just sulks. Sometimes one, sometimes the other.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I had our electrician rig the street power/inverter system so if the power goes out for a long period (we went without power for two days earlier in the year), and there is no more battery mojo to power the inverter, I drag a potable 3.5kw generator outside, crank it up, and plug it into the house power, making sure we are disconnected from the street. He also added a light that shows when we have street power, so I know when to revert to "normal."

3.5k is the same as our inverter, so we can power everything the inverter does when necessary.

This simple, inexpensive, elegant system has been a lifesaver several times at Camp Moto.

Of course, if we wanted to run the a/c, water heater or add more electronic gadgets, 3.5k is underpowered. But for temporary needs, it works well.

Same here. Everything but the A/C and water heater. I'll never need it unless there's a hurricane.

I'll install it with a two throw 3 pole manual switch to make sure the local and generator don't mix.

AE, you still haven't bought that card? Such a great little generator.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Same here. Everything but the A/C and water heater. I'll never need it unless there's a hurricane.

I'll install it with a two throw 3 pole manual switch to make sure the local and generator don't mix.

AE, you still haven't bought that card? Such a great little generator.

We bought the new control card awhile ago. I think what’s needed now is some connector valve to the propane tank, Leo knows, I only know how to push buttons.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
We bought the new control card awhile ago. I think what’s needed now is some connector valve to the propane tank, Leo knows, I only know how to push buttons.

I'd buy it from ya, but I don't have anywhere to put it now. If I lived in a house instead of an apartment, you'd be wondering where it disappeared to.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was fearful my bank was failing... so bought some backup

Fears were false...
original bank still going strong
Not down one bit

No need for the backup now

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
6 ROLLS -S550 6V batteries

I won't be needing them......
good for about 1000+amps

Now for sale....

Mods...
Classified Ad site N/A....
let me know what to do

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If nobody want them, just let me know and I will arrange for a way to take them off your hands.
:smoke:

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
6 ROLLS -S550 6V batteries

I won't be needing them......
good for about 1000+amps

Now for sale....

Mods...
Classified Ad site N/A....
let me know what to do

Why not just hold on to them? They shouldn't go bad if you're not using them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why not just hold on to them? They shouldn't go bad if you're not using them.

All lead acid batteries will eventually go bad, if they are used or not. The laws of entropy apply even for the Rolls Royce of batteries like William has. The ambient temperature in DR is not a good thing for lead acid batteries. Much better to sell them to someone that will get use out of them.