Bavaro Gets a Real Chinese Restaurant Cantonese

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In the strip mall on the same side of Punta Italia a new Chinese Restaurant opened Friday. It it owned and run by a Chinese family that had restaurants in SD and Casa de Campo for 30 years here. I ate there yesterday and it is legit Chinese food that you can only find in SD.

And for the opening you can drink all you want of one of the best Chinese beers GRATIS............Don't know how long this will last but it held for last night...........

Is Tsingtao a Chinese beer?

Image result for Chinese beer brands

Brewed in China since 1903

Tsingtao is only ever brewed in China using Laoshan Mountain spring water and the finest malt and hops. Tsingtao beer is a truly authentic Chinese beer, only ever brewed in the sea port of Qingdao, in North Eastern China.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
In the strip mall on the same side of Punta Italia a new Chinese Restaurant opened Friday. It it owned and run by a Chinese family that had restaurants in SD and Casa de Campo for 30 years here. I ate there yesterday and it is legit Chinese food that you can only find in SD.

And for the opening you can drink all you want of one of the best Chinese beers GRATIS............Don't know how long this will last but it held for last night...........

Tsingtao is only ever brewed in China using Laoshan Mountain spring water and the finest malt and hops. Tsingtao beer is a truly authentic Chinese beer, only ever brewed in the sea port of Qingdao, in North Eastern China.
Pray tell…what is legit Chinese food in DR? Love love Chinese food. But not in DR…. Hahahahaha.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

is this the place with the pink balloons and pink cherry tree

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
is this the place with the pink balloons and pink cherry tree
Yes, and real Chinese food is not Yao with Dominican cooking but here ONLY Chinese nationals are cooking. Try it.......................

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Is it the same family that tried once before in the early to mid nineties?
They opened on the beach road with much fanfare. All of the destination reps (among others) were invited to drinks and dinner on the house.
A great time was had by one and all. We ate and drank them out of house and home.
Unfortunately the business failed within a year.
Punta Cana is a far different place these days so they may well have better luck.
Good luck to them.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Is it the same family that tried once before in the early to mid nineties?
They opened on the beach road with much fanfare. All of the destination reps (among others) were invited to drinks and dinner on the house.
A great time was had by one and all. We ate and drank them out of house and home.
Unfortunately the business failed within a year.
Punta Cana is a far different place these days so they may well have better luck.
Good luck to them.
Absolutely NOT. They had a restaurant in SD for 15 years and was at the Marina in Casa de Campo among others in 4 decades..............

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Absolutely NOT. They had a restaurant in SD for 15 years and was at the Marina in Casa de Campo among others in 4 decades..............
Do you know what restaurant they have/had in SD?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Yes, and real Chinese food is not Yao with Dominican cooking but here ONLY Chinese nationals are cooking. Try it.......................
The name of the restaurant is Chinois. This poster did visit the restaurant with wife recently to give it a try, following up on the posts. There were no Chinese observed in the dining areas. When our server was asked if they did the cooking, her response was there were Dominican cooks in the kitchen, no Chinese. Also, our question included if monosodium glutamate (MSG) is used in the cooking? She had to enter the kitchen to ask and after a few minutes she returned with the answer, yes. Some people think it is harmful, others say no. There has been no definitive answer, guess it depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Ours was a small meal of chofan mixto with steamed chicken dumplings as an appetizer. The chofan had no flavor (bland) and four dumplings with a sliver of carrot each were priced at RD$ 200 for dumplings no bigger than the bowl of table spoon. The Tsingtao beer was fine, a refreshing change from the locals. The restaurant per our opinion is nothing to write home about.

The nearby Yao Asian restaurant for us seems more appealing, but not by much. The area does really need a genuine Chinese restaurant.

Regards,

PJT

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I was in Delicia Campestre in SD the other day and I have honestly never seen so many Chinese people in my life (except in China). There were buses full of Chinese going to an event upstairs, I'm sure there must have been several hundred. Definitely the best place to eat Chinese is in that part of the capital.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
The name of the restaurant is Chinois. This poster did visit the restaurant with wife recently to give it a try, following up on the posts. There were no Chinese observed in the dining areas. When our server was asked if they did the cooking, her response was there were Dominican cooks in the kitchen, no Chinese. Also, our question included if monosodium glutamate (MSG) is used in the cooking? She had to enter the kitchen to ask and after a few minutes she returned with the answer, yes. Some people think it is harmful, others say no. There has been no definitive answer, guess it depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Ours was a small meal of chofan mixto with steamed chicken dumplings as an appetizer. The chofan had no flavor (bland) and four dumplings with a sliver of carrot each were priced at RD$ 200 for dumplings no bigger than the bowl of table spoon. The Tsingtao beer was fine, a refreshing change from the locals. The restaurant per our opinion is nothing to write home about.

The nearby Yao Asian restaurant for us seems more appealing, but not by much. The area does really need a genuine Chinese restaurant.

Regards,

PJT
So In your opinion the place is Fugazi?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I know that there are many Chinese restaurants called Chinois around the world but I have a feeling that the Chinois in Punta Cana is a spin off from Chinois in La Romana . Chinois moved from The Marina in Casa de Campo to La Romana before Covid and has excellent food but poor service and so much of its business is done by home deliveries. As for MSG, I regret to say that is used at Chinois at La Romana so if you have asthma, think twice.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I know that there are many Chinese restaurants called Chinois around the world but I have a feeling that the Chinois in Punta Cana is a spin off from Chinois in La Romana . Chinois moved from The Marina in Casa de Campo to La Romana before Covid and has excellent food but poor service and so much of its business is done by home deliveries. As for MSG, I regret to say that is used at Chinois at La Romana so if you have asthma, think twice.
This is exactly the information I had. And the food is very good here, and there certainly is no lack of service. Just because a guy can't pay $3.75 for dumplings does not rule a place out...............

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita

Regards,

PJT
As always!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
So In your opinion the place is Fugazi?
Not "Fugazi" per se. It has to do with this poster's unexciting experience at the restaurant. Other people may feel the restaurant is fine. People who have not visited it have the choice to go and form their own assessments.

Regards,

PJT

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Not "Fugazi" per se. It has to do with this poster's unexciting experience at the restaurant. Other people may feel the restaurant is fine. People who have not visited it have the choice to go and form their own assessments.

Regards,

PJT
Fugazi! How can anyone not call it that. Chinese food put together by not one Chinese person in the kitchen .in the Dominican Republic? Only if your own criteria is that low. Cmon…we all know this it is called Chinminican food.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Sky ate there and he thought it was legit.

He is a valued poster so his thoughts are legit to this site.

Maybe a Dominican was taught to cook it by a Chinese person.

I pay over a hundred dollars at my favorite steakhouse for a steak and I am sure there are Mexicans preparing it.

Does not make the food less quality.

And that steakhouse I have mentioned before.

Delfriscro’s NYC

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Sky ate there and he thought it was legit.

He is a valued poster so his thoughts are legit to this site.

Maybe a Dominican was taught to cook it by a Chinese person.

I pay over a hundred dollars at my favorite steakhouse for a steak and I am sure there are Mexicans preparing it.

Does not make the food less quality.

And that steakhouse I have mentioned before.

Delfriscro’s NYC
Your steak cooking on the grill is Not preparing a General Tso Chicken! Please do not try comparing. Dominicans preparing a chinese meal is really dominicans doing the only kind of cooking they know and that is usually what we get…a dominican bad meal. Sky…I just can’t imagine you know much about what chinese food should taste like if you give this restaurant a thumbs up.