Be aware of expat swindler in santiago.

G

gary short

For gods sakes if he bothers you so much kick him in the nuts and tell him to f**K off and be done with it. Why b!tch on a public forum about it...what does that accomplish??

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
When I was in SD last winter, I had encounters with several homeless people. I gave all of them some money. One guy was an interesting case.

Most of my American friends refuse to give anything to homeless people back home. They always tell me that I'm only paying for crack or another bottle of alcohol, things like that. I admit I have become a bit cynical over the years myself.

My second day in SD I was entering my house(a rental). Now entering my house is quite an ordeal. Two gates, one reinforced door, 2 padlocks, a deadbolt and a regular door lock. While I was going through the rountine of unlocking, locking, and unlocking as I made my way to the door, a Dominican homeless guy approached me. He spoke English perfectly. "Please, could you give me some money so I can eat?" I looked at him for a few seconds. " Please, I'm hungry. I was depoted from Patterson, New Jersey. Look, I can't find work here, it's almost impossible to find a job. I just pulled that cell charger (pointing to the charger on the sidewalk) out of the trash. I was hoping to sell it for a few Peso's." I stared at him. I thought, this guy is just playing me. "People around here call me "The Man". I'm just asking for 100 pesos, that's only three American dollars, enough to buy me a lunch of rice and beans." "Alright." I said. I took the money out of my pocket and handed it to him. I don't mind giving a man money to buy food. I would want someone to help me out if I needed it. He took the money politely and said,"God will bless you." And he walked off.

Later, about 3 weeks later, I saw him walking down El Conde. I was waiting outside a CD store for a friend. He approached me and without him asking I gave him some money to buy dinner. He smiled and said "Thank you. I really appreciate this. If anyone ever gives you s***, you let me know." And he walked off towards the( from memory "Polo something, the Dominican version of McDonald's). Perhaps he was spending the money on beer, I don't know. I sincerely believe he was buying meals with it. I don't think it is always "enablement" if you help a guy out who is down on his luck. Not always.

When I was staying in France (April-July 2005) there was a girl who would sit in front of a store and beg for change. I was staying with friends in an apartment nearby. The girl was from Bulgaria (an illegal immigrant). I used to shop there with a French girl I was staying with. We would buy her a large sized bottled water(cold) and a sandwich for her whenever we bought things. We talked with her sometimes. That girl was in a difficult situation(I'll leave out the details). I didn't mind helping her.

I don't understand why some people get so bent out of shape when beggars appear. Just ignore them or say no if you don't want to give them anything.They will usually move on quietly.

I always tell myself that but for the grace of God, that could be me.

The reason why you do that is, you probably had a very good upbringing.... and being in a stable environment taught you very good values of the human race.;)
Old saying I'll never forget..... success is not when you have it all, but when you lose it ALL and then gain it back.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
It's been interesting reading the posts about the different reactions of Dominicans vs tourists. I am Dominican but developed my current attitude towards people on the streets from the US.
I lived in the US for quite a while and worked as a counselor in a Salvation Army shelter for some time. Meeting the folks there and talking to them I realized that it was easier than I always believed to land in a situation like that.

Someone mentioned in a post above that 'but for the grace of God that could have been me'. I agree with that 100%. Some of them do try to scam you -and you even have to recognize they get pretty clever sometimes. However, I still believe that I should help out whenever I can. I cannot justify not giving under the assumption that they money may not go towards food or that I can help more by not giving. Even if that is the case for some I believe we would be hurting many more.
Well said. It's remarkably easy to fall prey to some of the "kinks in the system" in the US and the DR and find yourself in deep shizit. A couple mistakes without a solid foundation (a support system; family, reliable people) a downward spiral is sure to follow. Even those putting in 40+ hours/week can't afford health/dental coverage, nevermind caring for kids.

I honor your desire to 'give money' and moreso your effort in helping as a counselor. I still feel that there is a greater problem that needs to be addressed (different topic) and the giving of money only enables those beaten down and on the wrong path to begin with, and it deepens an already growing problem with "noble" encouragement.

narias

Apr 12, 2004
I still feel that there is a greater problem that needs to be addressed (different topic) and the giving of money only enables those beaten down and on the wrong path to begin with, and it deepens an already growing problem with "noble" encouragement.

You're right... You know, sometimes I think that we (or at least I) give money because either it's the easiest thing to do or because we feel it's the only thing we can do at that time for that person...

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Your time and your ears are far more valuable

You're right... You know, sometimes I think that we (or at least I) give money because either it's the easiest thing to do or because we feel it's the only thing we can do at that time for that person...
It feels good to help, and giving money is easy. Being a counselor (the basis of the foundation these people need) is the best way to help.

I spent my past Christmas holiday serving food at a shelter and it was far-and-away my best holiday ever. The first time I've done that, but certainly not the last.

At least here in S.F., the biggest problem is the tourists, who are all too eager to drop $5 bills into the filthy paper cups of beggars. I can see it in their eyes they feel they're doing good. It's a slippery slope.

courtneypowers

Sep 18, 2003
This guy is still in Santiago

I read about this guy over a month ago and forgot about him.

I was in checkout line at La Marketa in Villa Olga yesterday and heard someone say "Does anybody speak English?" I said yes before I saw who it was. I thought somebody would ask me how to ask for sour cream or whatever which is usually the English speaking requests I get in the Super. As soon as he showed me his famous internet ticket page (for the same day's date- so he keeps reprinting his props), Western Union payment from dear ole' Dad, etc - I remembered all these posts. He said he got mugged, tried calling the embassy and no luck, was a marine, needed help, but wasn't asking for money, but needed to get to Sto Dgo etc etc etc. I told him to call the embassy or his Papito and that was the only help I could give him and turned around. He kept talking to my back telling me to just listen to him blah blah blah. Same old criping about how could an American treat him sh#$^tier than a Dominican etc etc etc.
This guy really gets around. 2 minutes later when we were driving home, I saw him talking to some unfortunate people who had the bad luck of being in their driveway... I hope they didn't give them any money.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
As soon as he showed me his famous internet ticket page (for the same day's date- so he keeps reprinting his props),
I wonder if he uses one of those "Internet Stores" or his own computer, printer and ink to print the tickets.

Sounds like the same tall, skinny guy speaking English that I have seen for years in Santiago, even saw him in Santo Dominigo when I was going for my residency.

He is getting better, use to just beg to everyone, must have found out what suckers some of us Americans are. Maybe he learned that technique due to 9-11 and Iraq. Go for the heart strings.

My Friend"....... as he always called me!

May 12, 2005
As I stated earlier in this thread, perhaps someone could post a picture of this guy so we can all get a look at him. This way we all can see him coming and stay away from him.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
We're not talking about the english-speaking crack-head who hangs out in Pueblo Nuevo that everybody calls "Bin Laden" are we?

Is that the little short guy who always wear a baseball cap and has the worst smell to him?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
He was here at HB Headquarters a few minutes ago, but I had a few other things to do so i didn't get the photograph.
My wonderful son marco went out to talk to him, my wife pleading with me to be nice to him.

I told Marco what the storyline would be, and sure enough that was it.

From the description of Doña Epy, our cook/factotum, he was short and dirty looking. No baseball cap.

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Incredible but True!

In Fort Lauderdale Florida the homeless are unionized.

A few years ago I went to visit friends in Fort Lauderdale (I lived there over 20 years). I was quite surprised when I got close to an intersection where a "Homeless" person was begging, to see him wearing a "Homeless" union T-shirt. I witnessed this at other intersections also, not just the one.

I wonder how much they pay for union dues.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
He is a dirty looking white boy. Skinny, standing up hair and looks like he does drugs. He always has an internet print out ticket in his hand.
He is easy to spot.
AZB