Be careful, Bamboo Bar Prostitues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
Teams of 2

A couple years ago, I had a couple young guys come down for a visit and some surf. I gave them the "Intro to Sosua/Cabarete" lecture including to be cautions about 2 lovely looking ladies approaching you. Well these "kids" had me out in Cabarete past midnight (a rare occurence for me) and sure enough here comes a couple ladies. One starts feeling me up as the distraction while the other was looking to pick pocket me. I headed her off at the "pass" plus I dont keep any money in easy reach of someone else. But I have to say I literally had to peel the other one's fingers off my arm. "No I'm not going on the beach for some......"

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
My wife and I spent a whole week eating most dinners at the restaurants on the beach in Cabarete. Didn't see any hookers...everyone looked like tourists. We did see a few prostitutes late at night at the bars on the main street. It was really nice sitting and having dinner on the beach under the palm trees with the ocean in the background. You can see the sunset from there too. I thought the place is very tourist friendly. I'm traveling back to the area this weekend with my wife. We live in the Chicago Area (USA).

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
well Ohmmm, if you take a good look you can't miss them, but if your wife is a looker I can understand why you wouldn't have notice them. nugh, nugh, winck, winck say no more say no more.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
It's a time thing

I am very familiar with Cabarete. Ohmme was probably off the beach by 11:30 pm. That is when it changes to another place. Whether you like the late night scene is a matter of preference.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

She jumped on her passola and tried to speed off. I grabbed the back end (of the passola) and lifted so she was just spinning the back wheel. After a few seconds I could hold on no longer and I ended up in the road with a large chunk of plastic faring that I later used to identify her passola - a bit like the ghetto version of Cinderella's glass slipper.

:D

Btw. Zero tolerance is they only educational approach to work on those who thrive on constant exceptions.

... J-D.

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
wrong impression ??

My wife and I spent a whole week eating most dinners at the restaurants on the beach in Cabarete. Didn't see any hookers...everyone looked like tourists..... .

I hope my anecdotal addition to this thread above did not give the wrong impression. This was an unusual occurrence (note time of day - I usually go home before 10 - jeje). Although visible I do not find these ladies in larger numbers or aggressive in Cab. I LIKE Cabarete.

North coast newbie

Jul 30, 2006
Technically if the prostitutes approach you on the beach then the Politur can do something about it. If they are in a bar you are fare game. I was pickpocked by a puta on the beach and the Politur immediately dragged her off to jail.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Bamboo has been that way a long time.

Bamboo has been that way for a while. The owners seem to have decided that going the honorable route did not pay the bills.
Last year my husband, brother and sister-in-law and I went in for a drink and a couple of dances. While my sister-in-law and I were on the dance floor we were surrounded by 5 or 6 putas who while dancing started to bump us off the dance floor very aggressively. Their objective was very clear...get the non-working girls out of there.... That was the second time this type of agressive behaviour happened to us at Bamboo, we will never go back. Nothing of the sort ever happened to us at the other bars on the beach.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've heard stories of pairs of women following men into the bathroom and pulling at their wallets or phones while the men were urinating-- the men were trying to fend them off with one hand while taking care of business with the other. Whenever two women are hassling you at once, it's time to leave or move your goodies to your front pockets.

That happened to me a few years ago in Onnos. Before they remodeled the toliets, the gents was just a pi$$oir with a couple of waist-height saloon type doors with no lock.

There I was quietly relieving myself of excess Presidente, when a girl came in and started fiddling with me from behind. My Spanish wasn't that good in those days but I think that she was having trouble with understanding the universal word "NO".

So I simply turned round and faced her. The thing was, I was still going! I think she go the message! She didn't look very happy after getting her golden shower!

May 29, 2006
I checked out the Bambu site to see if it was some other bar I knew and sent them a quick note about the bad reviews they were getting. This was their response:

Hi thanks for your interest . We know about that problem and try to avoid it but unfortunately it's not only in our place but everywhere on the beach and we fight so much against that kind of thing that it's a pity to hear that . We tried also to find help by the police but today the solution is not encountered . The fact is that the custoMers everywhere on the beach at night has to take care about that and need to be more vigilant . You have to be aware whatever tHat there is more happy people spending good moments in our place than spoiled people
The people only have to respect the basic security rules that you need to follow when you are travelling in a country that you don' t know .... Bambu bar is a nice place directly on the beach with responsible staff where you can come to enjoy cabarete life a president beer on your hand ! :) regards. bambu bar team

So in other words, their line is they are no worse than anyone else on the beach and it's the "spoiled" tourist's fault for not being careful. I bet a security guard with a digital camera would do wonders to cut back on the problem.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
By spoiled people I think he meant - people who had their holiday spoiled. It sounded like they are trying to resolve the problem to me , but its difficult if a tourist brings in an undesirable for drink (ie you cant ask every lady if they are a prostitute lol that would not be good for business)

samuel

Oct 14, 2008
Bamboo, well try harder

Is this really a bamboo response? "We know about that problem and try to avoid it".
we felt the girls were working for them, as we did not see any in Ono or Voy Voy. What about a cover charge to stop just anyone from coming in? what about the lady who wrote above, that she wanted to dance but was run off the dance floor. Give me a break, as the Americans say.

Reactions: waytogo
Jan 17, 2009
Is this really a bamboo response? "We know about that problem and try to avoid it".
we felt the girls were working for them, as we did not see any in Ono or Voy Voy. What about a cover charge to stop just anyone from coming in? what about the lady who wrote above, that she wanted to dance but was run off the dance floor. Give me a break, as the Americans say.

Bamboo has an RD$100 cover charge in place already (one free drink). I talked with one of the owners last week. He said if the girls pay, he's got to let them in but is controlling now how many they are allowing at a time. According to him, no more than 6-8. What he cannot do is prevent them from staying close to the entrance. The beach is a public place, that we know, and prostitution is legal. Politur cannot take a prostitute to jail because they're soliciting.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Unless they kite then they should stop whinging about hookers!

Like I stopped visiting Cornwall because of the pasties???

Status
Not open for further replies.