Be Careful Where You Park!

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
A lot of us already know this but for those who don't.

May no parking zones are not so easy to identify. At least not in Sosua.

I know folks that have been towed for parking in no parking zones. Once towed you have to go to Amet and pay a fine to get your car back.

There are the obvious ones where signs are posted and cones are used to block off areas.

But also any curb that is painted yellow is a curb you are not supposed to park on. On many of them the paint is very faded and hard to see. Look good.

Also, yellow lines painted on the street are meant to block off no parking areas. Again, the paint is very faded for many of them. Look good.

It may be a place you see people park a lot of times. People get away with a lot because Amet doesn't patrol all the time but if they are driving around with their flatbed they will tow you.

The fact that the paint is faded and you didn't see it will not be an excuse. The DR doesn't have a rule that says it has to be clearly visible to a glancing eye.

It sucks but that is how it is so be warned.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
another great tip from someone WHO DOES NOT EVEN DRIVE HERE.

If a colmado has two entrances and one has full exposure to the sun should I use the shady entrance to reduce the risk of skin cancer?

So much to learn...

Maybe just maybe a prophet has arrived to lead us out of the wilderness.

Last edited:

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
If a colmado has two entrances and one has full exposure to the sun should I use the shady entrance to reduce the risk of skin cancer?

So much to learn...

Maybe just maybe a prophet has arrive to lead us out of the wilderness.
It is easter....the time of miracles

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Ah gee....
The OP seems well-intentionned enough but something doesn't compute.
The delivery is all wrong.
Maybe a little too "Pollyanna does Joel Osteen" for me.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
A lot of us already know this but for those who don't.

May no parking zones are not so easy to identify. At least not in Sosua.

I know folks that have been towed for parking in no parking zones. Once towed you have to go to Amet and pay a fine to get your car back.

There are the obvious ones where signs are posted and cones are used to block off areas.

But also any curb that is painted yellow is a curb you are not supposed to park on. On many of them the paint is very faded and hard to see. Look good.

Also, yellow lines painted on the street are meant to block off no parking areas. Again, the paint is very faded for many of them. Look good.

It may be a place you see people park a lot of times. People get away with a lot because Amet doesn't patrol all the time but if they are driving around with their flatbed they will tow you.

The fact that the paint is faded and you didn't see it will not be an excuse. The DR doesn't have a rule that says it has to be clearly visible to a glancing eye.

It sucks but that is how it is so be warned.

I LOVE this GUY!!!!LOL

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am trying to be nicer so I held myself in check and did not write similar comments to what you guys posted. How did we ever manage to make it thru life all this time on our own?
New personal rule: immediately stop reading any post that begins with "a lot of us already know this but".
Have to admit its a diversion from baiting and bashing the chip.
Wonder if he is catholic, naw, sounds Canadian.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Wonder if he is catholic, naw, sounds Canadian.

No way he is Canadian. Way too arrogant.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
"ignore list"? Do we really have such a thing? And written in red!!!!! That Robert thinks of everything. Of course not! How will I find out how it all ends up? Its toooooooooo interesting. So far I have learned how to deal with small hamburgers and how to park in Sosua. Who knows what gems are in the future. Not to mention the insightful responses. I dont have to even type. Dv8 says it for me.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Nice job folks. So even a perfectly normal post with real advice to some of the people who may not have been here as long as the rest gets turned into junk with sarcasm and personal agenda. Really, tell me. What exactly did I say in my thread that is WRONG? In all my ignorance of not driving on a daily basis any more what exactly did I say that was misleading, incorrect or not truthful. How did I lie? What part of it was BS? Can't a post just be a post with real information? Nope, got turned into junk so now I'm going to put my own junk in too.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I am an educated gringo. I am now a Dominican citizen. But I can never really be a Dominican. Thinking I could would insult any intelligent Dominican. I have not lived my whole life here and have not had that experience.

However I feel I am closer to an intelligent Dominican than a dumb gringo. I have much more in common with any intelligent Dominican than I do with any gringo that just belittles everybody to make themselves feel better.

No offense to any of the intelligent gringos out there. If I offended you then you probably are not one of them.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Something tells me that the OP is having a good laugh.
Perhaps a dr1 member that woke up one morning and had had enough of the minutiae.
He/she decided to flood the site with nothing but mind-numbing minutiae just to get a point across..
Anybody with me on this?
Bets?
Who is the sock puppet?

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
And then those one-side minded people who do park on the barely noticeable yellow curb would afterwards claim they got scammed by a Dominican again.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Exactly the type of posts I'm offering a different perspective too. Those that call BS but can't point out why. Those who tell you how it is and want you believe the just becaus they say it. Those that only do as they have always been told to do by others and don't really know what will happen if they ever try to do anything different. Those that only read 1/2 of a sentence and formulate a response before they even understand what was being said. Those that can only mock and belittle to make themselves feel better but don't offer any real information.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
dr-evil-zip-it.jpg

drroyal2000

Aug 22, 2004
Hi to everyone, wow are people that bored that they have to bash a guy putting a post on DR1. who care if you don't find it usefull or not, if you don't, don't f***** ready it. Keep posting whatever you wish cjp2010. That's all I have to say about that.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The point is, cjp, you are new on this forum, many of us have a long time both on this forum and in the country. We do also know how to get around, most of us though, don't brag about how good they are negotiating (better than the average gringo) and most of us don't give unwanted advice. Reading your posts I have been wondering: who is this guy, just joining here, telling us all what we already know, while no one asked for it. The ones that might need your advices will show up in 2 months here and won't find your answers and ask about parking, hamburgers, negotiating, tipping, etc. "We", the bored enough to read dr1 everyday KNOW ALL THIS STUFF.

You make me think of those people that are so proud of living in a country like DR and being able to 'survive' like if that's some big achievement, confined for the fittest.