beach question

Status
Not open for further replies.

city of champions

Jan 5, 2007
I know it's been stated repeatedly not to leave belongings on a beach. For anyone familiar with Cabarete, any suggestion for what to do when going for a swim? I only plan on having my towel, camera, hotel key, and maybe a book with me while on the beach, but what should I do when going for a swim? The obvious answer is probably not to bring the camera to the beach but just wondering what others have done..

Thanks.
(I'm also reading the "How to be safer in the DR" thread, very informative)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I know it's been stated repeatedly not to leave belongings on a beach. For anyone familiar with Cabarete, any suggestion for what to do when going for a swim? I only plan on having my towel, camera, hotel key, and maybe a book with me while on the beach, but what should I do when going for a swim? The obvious answer is probably not to bring the camera to the beach but just wondering what others have done..

Thanks.
Try to spot someone who looks trustworthy, also lounging on the beach, and you can watch each other's stuff while the other one is swimming.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
a rock marks the spot....

Thanks.

Get one of those small hard coolers (made to carry a six-pack), place your valuables inside, and while sitting non-challantly on the beach, burry the cooler in the sand placing a rock (or just your towel and book) on top of the spot. I've never done it, but if I was you, that's what I would do...;-)

city of champions

Jan 5, 2007
You all respond so fast! Thanks for the advice. I know it's safer to leave things at the hotel but I figured someone must have done this before so thanks again!

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
Chair guys or staff from restaurants have helped me out in the past, or those sitting nearby who are looking for someone to do the same.

coho

On Vacation!
Mar 4, 2007
I use a zip lock bag for money, cards and hotel key....folded over a couple of times and placed inside of a plastic cotainer with an o-ring, designed specifically for swimming.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Fishing License Holder Option

I went to a Sports Authority in the States and bought a fishing license holder that is basically a small heavy duty plastic, about the size of a credit card zip lock holder. It's able to hold some folded pesos and a key and am able to put it inside my suit. Husband put his inside suit pocket. Kept everything dry. They are about $1.99 U.S. I also bought a hard side plastic case that boaters use thats about the size of cigarette pak that has strings attached that goes over your neck. Never wore it, too bulky. Got it at a scuba/snorkeling center.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We live in Cabarete. When we go to the beach we sit where other people are.We ask people "please watch our stuff". Never had a problem. When we're in the water we also keep an eye on things. If your gone for a couple of hours it may not be there, but most people on the beach work with you. They also expect you to work with them when the go in the water.

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
Few more things...

Just keep your face towards the beach...just watch it and don't turn your back for long....:bunny: :cool:

.....also...the easiest way...just ask a kind looking person. People that have children...newlyweds....those sorts......gray-haired people......they're usually trustworthy, no???:paranoid:

....if there's a group of you, one of you should stay back and watch everything. It's never right for one to tempt those that might fall into temptation (leaving $$ laying around where eyes can see it, yah know?)............

Put things in things.....more the zippers and baggies...the better....I think. Put you towel on top of it...shoes....glasses....make things awkward, not simple. Keep things in different areas...I usually keep my room key in my top..haha. Kinda like my Great-Aunt used to do with the Kleenex!!! A room key is really all you ever need...and nobody should steal your waterbottles......

Don't come looking like you're rich...cause if I was a robber, I'd go for those with gold jewelry and stones....not the rubberband to hold up their hair...you're really not at the beach to impress anyone....:p

A little overdone....but the reality is? You'll be fine. I just love "fresh-off-the-boat" people..........:pirate: Chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.