Belgian bakery now open!

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The comments about a specific culture's food attracting primarily those from the culture was an amusing digression. At least for me, nothing could be further from the truth. Variety is what I crave.

I agree with Acira that the North Coast could use additional variety. Unfortunately getting the herbs and spices needed to make authentic Asian dishes from India (or Singapore, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, etc) make it very difficult for such a restaurant to get it right. So far when any restaurant I have eaten at has tried to prepare Asian cuisine, they have always been lacking in their approximation. Even the preparation of Italian dishes has been lacking and that does not present as many challenges to finding the proper ingredients. I do admit to being picky about these things since where I lived previously in the US the restaurants were excellent. I grew up in a family that ran a bakery. What can I say, after 10 years I still hate plantains. At least now I can try some Belgian food.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The comments about a specific culture's food attracting primarily those from the culture was an amusing digression. At least for me, nothing could be further from the truth. Variety is what I crave.

I agree with Acira that the North Coast could use additional variety. Unfortunately getting the herbs and spices needed to make authentic Asian dishes from India (or Singapore, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, etc) make it very difficult for such a restaurant to get it right. So far when any restaurant I have eaten at has tried to prepare Asian cuisine, they have always been lacking in their approximation. Even the preparation of Italian dishes has been lacking and that does not present as many challenges to finding the proper ingredients. I do admit to being picky about these things since where I lived previously in the US the restaurants were excellent. I grew up in a family that ran a bakery. What can I say, after 10 years I still hate plantains. At least now I can try some Belgian food.
All very true. Fact is the ingredients are obtainable...but very, very expensive, often more than customers are willing to pay.

A good example is pizza. Look how expensive a pizza made with top ingredients costs vs. one with local ingredients (cheeses, meats, spices, sauces, etc.)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
been there, ate that :)
here's a picture of some of the sweets they sell in the bakery. and gosh, are they bliss!

xdscow.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one more:
16gjwqo.jpg

sweets are excellent and well priced: eclairs at 50/60 pesos, chocolate croissant 35. most expensive small cake (portion) was 120 (some elaborate stuff with pastry, whipped cream and chocolate profiteroles - those lil' buggers are at 30 pesos each). breads at 80-100 pesos, baguette 22.
in short great quality and fantastic taste at a good price. very good price, in fact.

papi201

Dec 2, 2010
one more:
16gjwqo.jpg

sweets are excellent and well priced: eclairs at 50/60 pesos, chocolate croissant 35. most expensive small cake (portion) was 120 (some elaborate stuff with pastry, whipped cream and chocolate profiteroles - those lil' buggers are at 30 pesos each). breads at 80-100 pesos, baguette 22.
in short great quality and fantastic taste at a good price. very good price, in fact.
I will surely go. No, Tamborista, there are no Donuts or Hamburgers.... It's European quality.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I love sweets.......I hit the wrong button, I can go for a chocolate profiterole with a nice espresso about now!

Papi 201, I can not remember the last time I ate a donut, sorry to dissapoint you. What is wrong with a good charcoal grilled hamburger, not Euro enough for you, gimme a break.

Aug 4, 2011
Those pictures look delicius. I am part Belgian and my biggest part is French so I like to see these familar things. It is nice to see my country businesses making it here

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they have donuts too, btw. and some normal food like sandwiches. i did not look into that since i came for sweets only :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Tambo the Gourmand... from now on.....pinky finger held high with tea cup :))
Tea and a big, fat double bacon cheese with lechuga, tomate and cebolla, on a sweetish whole wheat onion roll grilled medium rare over charcoal seems like a culture clash...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
@dv8 : you definitely have to try the sandwiches, they are not the sweet ones we are used to get here.

I saw they had Quiche added to their selection, gonna try that out one of these day's...yummie :cheeky:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The cake looks great, but gotta love the ash tray and cigarettes right next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.