Belt & Road Subterfuge in DR makes Breitbart News

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
For the $600 million the Chinese gave for electrical power won't even upgrade the North Coast. Just look at how much the new power plants built by Odebrecht cost. Heck that even cost $40 million in bribes, much of which went to one of the presidential candidates now running

The Dominican government has not yet taken the US$600 million loan from China.

"Zhang said that the US$600 million loan approved by the Chinese government for the improvement of distribution lines depends on the Dominican government. He said it needs to be approved through legal mechanisms, including feasibility studies and a tender be called so that Chinese companies can participate. “The ball is in the court of the Dominican government,” he said."

From DR1 Daily News 14 January 2020

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The DR Govt does not see upgrading the electrical grid as a priority otherwise they would have started that process already in measured stages.

Dangling a $600 million loan carrot in front of the horse, the bulk of which will likely go to Chinese companies is like dangling a credit card in front of the homeless gathered at the soup kitchen for lunch.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

"Zhang said that the US$600 million loan approved by the Chinese government for the improvement of distribution lines depends on the Dominican government. He said it needs to be approved through legal mechanisms, including feasibility studies and a tender be called so that Chinese companies can participate. “The ball is in the court of the Dominican government,” he said."

If the DR government accepts the loan, defaults, and becomes a pawn of Chinese hegemony in the Caribbean, the US could institute an isolationist policy against the DR, similar to what they have done with Cuba. Imagine the impact of a US tourism embargo on the DR economy.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The DR Govt does not see upgrading the electrical grid as a priority otherwise they would have started that process already in measured stages.

Dangling a $600 million loan carrot in front of the horse, the bulk of which will likely go to Chinese companies is like dangling a credit card in front of the homeless gathered at the soup kitchen for lunch.

... or giving a 16 year old a bottle of vodka and the car keys. ©P.J. O'Rourke

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
The Chinese offer of a US$600 million loan for electricity transmission projects was a reward for breaking diplomatic relations with Taiwan. The Chinese might already have gotten all they wanted with their offer.
The deal was agreed at a lower interest rate than for most loans, followed the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries in November 2018.

It remains to see if the Dominican government actually agrees to the terms and takes the loan.

For those who think this proposed loan is a trojan horse to takover the DR electric sector, I do not agree.
Breaking with Taiwan were the main goal.

From news May 2018 regarding DR breaking with Taiwan

Taiwans foreign ministry said the Dominican Republic had accepted "false promises of investment and aid by China".

Taipei also "strongly condemns China's objectionable decision to use dollar diplomacy to convert Taiwan's diplomatic allies".
The Dominican Republic said it believed the switch would be "extraordinarily positive for the future of our country" and that it recognised Taiwan as "an inalienable part of the Chinese territory".

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018

I do not think the homeless will wait two years before grabbing the credit card.....

The overall plan for the electric sector and ongoing work the last years can be digged into here,
if one is interested in facts.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Results speak louder than the printed intentions. While I do have to admit, the anecdotal evidence of late in my neighborhood seems to suggest that power failures are fewer and further apart, it is clear that the infrastructure in my neighborhood is still subject to complete collapse by a flock of passing hummingbirds.

The delivered voltage to my house fluctuates all day long. The condition of the wires, poles and transformers is clearly worn. There is no redundancy within the transmission system and maintenance before a failure is a rarity. Aluminum wiring connected to copper wiring, almost zero grounding, a shared common neutral wire for an entire neighborhood, the list of deficiencies and poor practices goes on and on. Saying that things have improved a bit may be true but there is so far to go it won't be completed in my lifetime. Current practices still are not inherently safe for the consumer - people still get electrocuted from time to time walking down the street or in their homes. Sometimes, it's their own faulty but most of the time poor equipment, dangerous practices and zero electrical inspection/standards is squarely to blame.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The Chinese offer of a US$600 million loan for electricity transmission projects was a reward for breaking diplomatic relations with Taiwan. The Chinese might already have gotten all they wanted with their offer.
The deal was agreed at a lower interest rate than for most loans, followed the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries in November 2018.

It remains to see if the Dominican government actually agrees to the terms and takes the loan.

For those who think this proposed loan is a trojan horse to takover the DR electric sector, I do not agree.
Breaking with Taiwan were the main goal.

From news May 2018 regarding DR breaking with Taiwan

Taiwans foreign ministry said the Dominican Republic had accepted "false promises of investment and aid by China".

Taipei also "strongly condemns China's objectionable decision to use dollar diplomacy to convert Taiwan's diplomatic allies".
The Dominican Republic said it believed the switch would be "extraordinarily positive for the future of our country" and that it recognised Taiwan as "an inalienable part of the Chinese territory".

That's like recognizing the DR as an inalienable part of Haiti.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
When I bought this house from a since deceased Developer I complained that the 220V was only delivering around 70V ; he thought Canadians were simply stupid because it was a 220v supply line!!!
I have never been to China; but the photos I have seen of streets clearly showed a tangled mess of wiring.... almost as bad as in Kolkata India....and that was bad.
We already have a tangled mess .
I know, I sound cynical , but the loan is good money following bad.
I am sure is asked, Canada would float a $600Million dollar loan for electrical upgrades and with no strings attached. FYI Canada invested more than $52 Billion CDN in the tiny Island of Barbados .... all on infrastructure.
If not, then the USA has been known to do the same.
Enough already!
Russell

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Reminder.....all posts must be China-DR related. I'm leaving Chico's because the warning would apply to DR as well, but it's tenuous.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Reminder.....all posts must be China-DR related. I'm leaving Chico's because the warning would apply to DR as well, but it's tenuous.
My comment was absolutely DR related. I just did not include DR in my sentence, but that should have been obvious it was DR related. If you did right, both post should have been deleted, or none.
One could believe that US based moderators of this forum are fast to delete arguments they dont like, but I would like to think it is not true.

Expect this post to be deleted, no problem. I have no need to discuss this subject.

Thanks for reading.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I agree completely. Dominicans, too late they made the deal with the devil. “Not to aid Dominicans. Anyone here who knows the history I think must agree. Just study history.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008

Maybe it was misread, but.... had heard fairly recently that govt had taken the loan and already spent it.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Like most parts of the world the chinese are evident in dominican society but nowhere near as much as US influence. There are old chinese that have several generations living in China town. The first having arrived 150 years ago. Some do not even speak Spanish. Then theres the Chinos de Bonao and other communities across the country. Recent survey put the population at 60,000 of chinese decedent DR state has been mostly wary of chinese immigration and have often turned back chinese trying to enter on the Haitian border. Almost all towns have chinese businesses. Besides the takeaways they also have many clothes stores selling items directly from Chine. They run most of the sex hotels cabanas. There are also many successful chinese that own luxury restaurants in SD and Santiago. Recently several chinese manufacturing firms have set up in tax free zones and the copper mine Cormidom is Chinese owned. The chinese presence is wide and established but dwarfed be the US in the DR.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Some of you really need to expand your news sources... and ability to process.

Except in this case I believe to be a true statement. We all know about Breitbart and usually ignore all their dreck but in this instance it is so believable that China is planning and plotting, plotting and planning. And which govts most likely to so needy and take the bait.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Like most parts of the world the chinese are evident in dominican society but nowhere near as much as US influence. There are old chinese that have several generations living in China town. The first having arrived 150 years ago. Some do not even speak Spanish. Then theres the Chinos de Bonao and other communities across the country. Recent survey put the population at 60,000 of chinese decedent DR state has been mostly wary of chinese immigration and have often turned back chinese trying to enter on the Haitian border. Almost all towns have chinese businesses. Besides the takeaways they also have many clothes stores selling items directly from Chine. They run most of the sex hotels cabanas. There are also many successful chinese that own luxury restaurants in SD and Santiago. Recently several chinese manufacturing firms have set up in tax free zones and the copper mine Cormidom is Chinese owned. The chinese presence is wide and established but dwarfed be the US in the DR.

Which as it should be. Dominicans have more in common with the US like baseball, windsurfing, sport fishing and multitudes of US cars and very close neighbors. And large communities of Dominicans in the US as well as many Dominicans working on cruise lines out of the US.
Also a good amount of tourism from Canada and the US.
China will never replace that and like you pointed out many Chinese living here for decades don't speak Spanish. They don't assimilate well. And they treat Dominican employees like dirt, paying the lowest wages and not paying them what they are owed when they leave.
The Chinese don't do anyone favors by their funding or presence.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Which as it should be. Dominicans have more in common with the US like baseball, windsurfing, sport fishing and multitudes of US cars and very close neighbors. And large communities of Dominicans in the US as well as many Dominicans working on cruise lines out of the US.
Also a good amount of tourism from Canada and the US.
China will never replace that and like you pointed out many Chinese living here for decades don't speak Spanish. They don't assimilate well. And they treat Dominican employees like dirt, paying the lowest wages and not paying them what they are owed when they leave.
The Chinese don't do anyone favors by their funding or presence.

Totally agree DR is much better alined to the US were it has many things in common. Chinese investors bring their people, their products, their culture and theres no compromise.