Best Belgian cuisine in the DR

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Maybe off-topic but Bartolomeo you wrote their sons have a Belgian Snack Bar. My big question is do they sell Frikandellen Speciaal and Friet Sate-saus?
It's on G. Mejio Ricart; could you be a little more precise please where exactly?
Thanks! (if they sell those ..........hmmmmmm)

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Peterj said:
Maybe off-topic but Bartolomeo you wrote their sons have a Belgian Snack Bar. My big question is do they sell Frikandellen Speciaal and Friet Sate-saus?
It's on G. Mejio Ricart; could you be a little more precise please where exactly?
Thanks! (if they sell those ..........hmmmmmm)

It is on the stretch between Lincoln and Lope de Vega. I haven't gone there yet but look forward to trying both establishments. I love Belgian food and beer.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Thanks Chirimoya! :classic:

I will check the place out asap!
Anybody else knows the answer on the Frikandellen-question??? :cool:

Last edited:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Peterj said:
Thanks Chirimoya! :classic:

I will check the place out asap!
Anybody else knows the answer on the Frikandellen-question??? :cool:

Peterj,
I did not have time to visit but they told me that the snack-bar is called 'Le Friet Kot' and that it caters mainly to the nightclubbing crowd with a hungry stomach so your Frikandellen-Speciaal might well be on the menu.
Bartolomeo

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Checked out Casa Belga and it is too be recommended. Delicious food for adults and children. Went with two of our sons, 13 & 14, and we had the pepper steak, the steak with mushrooms and cream sauce (Paris Sauce), the steak Tartare (wonder why they don't call it steak americaine as in Brussels), and shrimp Provencale. All very good. For desert the mousse and the crepe, finger licking.

Thanks for letting us know. Will check out the Belgian snack bar soon.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
DunHill said:
hmmmmmm frikandelletje speciaal, patatje pinda ..... ay ay ay madre mio

keep me informed where

Dropped by the snack place with husband and crew of very critical teenagers (17, 15, 13) last night. Predominantly sandwiches, but lots of dishes on the menu. Very good sandwiches (different and very varied).

Attractively decorated as a Dominican countryside restaurant. The decoration has nothing to do with the food.

Cutlery was of good quality (nothing I like less than a flimsy fork!).
Good ambience (attracts a crowd of young Dominicans -- 20-30ish). We were there at about 9 pm on a Tuesday evening and almost all tables were taken.

Service was good.

A bit pricey (only about 3 or 4 sandwiches under RD$200, most in the RD$200-RD$300 range), but overall would say it is good value and we all would recommend it and return.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
We've visited the place....nothing of the Patates Frites, Kroketten, Bitterballen, or Frikandellen as the Dutch and the Belgian people are used to.

We had 3 Presidente Peque?a's and asked for the bill: RD$ 246........enough said!

(Do they have a contador?; windows and doors wide open and airco running on full capacity!!! :eek: )

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
the open door and windows...

Peterj said:
We've visited the place....nothing of the Patates Frites, Kroketten, Bitterballen, or Frikandellen as the Dutch and the Belgian people are used to.

We had 3 Presidente Peque?a's and asked for the bill: RD$ 246........enough said!

(Do they have a contador?; windows and doors wide open and airco running on full capacity!!! :eek: )

I noticed the open door and windows too. It struck me right off the bat. I thought to myself - wow, these guys do not seem to get it. That is like throwing money down the toilet. I cannot understand the benefit. I doubt if any customers want the flies. I am guessing the reason is that at least one of the owners is a chain smoker and doesn't want to pollute the place.

The prices are absurd, even for tourists. These of course are only my opinions but time will tell. For example, has anyone ever had to wait for a table? Have many people even seen other customers during their visits? I didn't during two visits. I don't plan on returning but I wish them well.

franco

Nov 5, 2003
For me Belgian Snack Bar on Gustavo Mejia Ricart is better than the main restaraunt on the Independencia. I've tried them both several times. And the Snach Bar is a good option to a few places where you can eat late night, definetely it's better than Emparo Dado or Adrian Tropical Food... :)

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Belgian restaurant appears to be closed

Is the Belgian restaurant on Independencia officially kaput? I think someone predicted they would only last a few months if they didn't change their business model.

rubycatalina

Sep 21, 2004
yes the casa belga has been closed for at least a month. rumors are that a chinese-run restaurant is in the works.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Scandall was pretty close. Before opening a business, read DR1!

Tell the owner to shut the damn windows and doors when the AC is on, it was hot as hell in there on Sunday night. Personally, I give the place 3-6 months.

Scandalll
Santo Domingo Food Critic