Best Chinese restaurant in Santaigo

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My report on Super Rico.

I went there this evening around 8:00 p.m. It was not crowded, about 8 or nine people. It was raining so that would cut down on traffic.
The place is rather cut and dried. Nothing stands out. A/C is good, music like in an elevator. No bar, per se.

Decor is Chinese sort of. There is no luxury, it is functional. It is neat and clean.

The lighting was rather bright, but not terrible so. The Me Nu (Written like that with the Chinese characters above the Me and the Nu) was written in Spanish and Chinese and Maybe English--you know I did not remember if it was or not. It was a long menu. Peking Duck was RD$980, a fair price IMO.

There were dumsum, and entrees, and several main courses like Chop Suey, Chou Mein, Chofans and then Chicken dishes, Mariscos and fish and a few other items including tofu.

None of the prices were exorbitant. I order Fried Won Ton, Egg Rolls, Chicken Chofan, and Spicy Chicken, and had a beer as I waited. Total was RD$540.
The beer was $80 so the food itself was fairly inexpensive.

When I got home, all the ladies that were playing cards had left and that left just Ma HB and me!! Way too much food for the two of us. We could have done with the Chofan and egg rolls or wontons....

The spicy Chicken came with Tostones, and, much to my amazement, they were fantastic. And I am a toston gourmet. the Spicy Chicken would not bring a sweat to an Eskimo, but it has a bite for most Dominicans not used to spicy food.....The Chofan was very good. The Wontons were done to a nice crisp and the egg rolls, albeit rather small, were tasty.

I think that this may well be a keeper. Not up there with the Pez Dorado, but the prices are certainly attractive enough for me to go back a second time...and try something else.

Down the line, there might be a problem with parking, but if they stay there and garner fame, that might be solved with a deal for the lot across the street....maybe...

HB

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I ran across a -------

place on 27 de Febrero called "Pico Pollo Pony" that serves a good Chinese.
It is operated by several young Chinese who are very accomodating and their food is very good, but limited.
Chofan is available with Shrimp, Pollo and Puerco. When it gets right down to the nitty-gritty, they will bend over backwards to accomodate a special order even tho their specialty is Pico Pollo with either fries (which I don't recommend--they're dried out) or tostones. the Egg rolls are very good, except they're shy on the sweet&sour sauce. Extra is furnished only on request. S&S Pork is mediocre, there being poor quality cuts used. Maybe some improvement in thefuture.
You might give it a try, then decide for yourself.
We order from there frequently. I usually get the Ribs--the sauce is better than average and the servings on everything are generous.

Texas Bill

C

Chip00

My report on Super Rico.

I went there this evening around 8:00 p.m. It was not crowded, about 8 or nine people. It was raining so that would cut down on traffic.
The place is rather cut and dried. Nothing stands out. A/C is good, music like in an elevator. No bar, per se.

Decor is Chinese sort of. There is no luxury, it is functional. It is neat and clean.

The lighting was rather bright, but not terrible so. The Me Nu (Written like that with the Chinese characters above the Me and the Nu) was written in Spanish and Chinese and Maybe English--you know I did not remember if it was or not. It was a long menu. Peking Duck was RD$980, a fair price IMO.

There were dumsum, and entrees, and several main courses like Chop Suey, Chou Mein, Chofans and then Chicken dishes, Mariscos and fish and a few other items including tofu.

None of the prices were exorbitant. I order Fried Won Ton, Egg Rolls, Chicken Chofan, and Spicy Chicken, and had a beer as I waited. Total was RD$540.
The beer was $80 so the food itself was fairly inexpensive.

When I got home, all the ladies that were playing cards had left and that left just Ma HB and me!! Way too much food for the two of us. We could have done with the Chofan and egg rolls or wontons....

The spicy Chicken came with Tostones, and, much to my amazement, they were fantastic. And I am a toston gourmet. the Spicy Chicken would not bring a sweat to an Eskimo, but it has a bite for most Dominicans not used to spicy food.....The Chofan was very good. The Wontons were done to a nice crisp and the egg rolls, albeit rather small, were tasty.

I think that this may well be a keeper. Not up there with the Pez Dorado, but the prices are certainly attractive enough for me to go back a second time...and try something else.

Down the line, there might be a problem with parking, but if they stay there and garner fame, that might be solved with a deal for the lot across the street....maybe...

HB

I need to check this out - it has been awhile since we have eaten good Chinese food.

BTW, can we assume they have wonton soup? Also, do you remember if they have that hot mustard that they serve with the egg rolls? That stuff is so good and does a great job cleaning out the sinuses too!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was going to ask about that hot mustard, but I did not. Should have, since I do not like the sauce that comes with the egg rolls...

HB

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Sambal Oelek

... that they serve with the egg rolls? That stuff is so good and does a great job cleaning out the sinuses too!

oktj6qondl788guwdf0sie3ci4.jpg

m'frog

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
MF, isn't that Indonesian? When he said sinuses I thought 'wasabi' although that's not Chinese either.

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
pony pollo

I like this chinese place on feb 27 called Pony Pollo or Pico Pony(that can?t be right!). Good curry and fresh veggies, on 27 past the hospital and National.
The other day I ate in the Plaza Int?l chinese place and my Dominican friend found a nice worm in her dish. Pretty much ended her experimentation with chinese cuisine. Back to la bandera for her, probably permanently.

Alos, Paparazzo, not a chinese restaurant, but a wide variety of excellent dishes including thai, japanese and chinese, plus more and really a top notch intl restaurant here in Santiago in los colegios. Great place for all tastes.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I like this chinese place on feb 27 called Pony Pollo or Pico Pony(that can?t be right!). Good curry and fresh veggies, on 27 past the hospital and National.
The other day I ate in the Plaza Int?l chinese place and my Dominican friend found a nice worm in her dish. Pretty much ended her experimentation with chinese cuisine. Back to la bandera for her, probably permanently.

Alos, Paparazzo, not a chinese restaurant, but a wide variety of excellent dishes including thai, japanese and chinese, plus more and really a top notch intl restaurant here in Santiago in los colegios. Great place for all tastes.

Gringo 1:
The place is called "pico Pollo Pony". I mentionedit earlier, and yes, they have very goog food. Will even make up special dishes if you explain what you want and if they have the ingredients.

Texas Bill