Best coffee in DR

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You did a heck of a lot better than I did spelling it in post #16. Good stuff!

I had missed your post, it's definitely good stuff! They have a coffee shop on 2nd floor of Agora, served me a 'pour over' a while ago that I had without adding any sugar. Very tasteful, very well roasted.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Cafe Serrano

My friend just called from Nacional and said she sees a coffee that says Serrano with a Dominican taste. I said not to buy unless it says Cuba. Yes?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Jamaica sells more "Blue Mountain" coffee than it produces. For years, prior to the rust, high-quality 14+ screen Dominican coffee beans was sold to Jamaican produces to fill the shortfall of the "Blue Mountain" demand.

I don't know where they got it after the rust, and not sure if any Domionican coffee is exported to Jamaica since the rust.

With the local crop rebound, I would nt be surprised if some of the future crops get exported to Jamaica.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I just wanted to explain re my coffee question that I have an incredible amount of Bustelo and have already said how delicious it is, that unless the Cafe Serrano is excellent. I will not buy. I want cuban Serrano to try.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Jamaica sells more "Blue Mountain" coffee than it produces. For years, prior to the rust, high-quality 14+ screen Dominican coffee beans was sold to Jamaican produces to fill the shortfall of the "Blue Mountain" demand.

I don't know where they got it after the rust, and not sure if any Domionican coffee is exported to Jamaica since the rust.

With the local crop rebound, I would nt be surprised if some of the future crops get exported to Jamaica.

So the route would be Vietnam-Dominican Republic-Jamaica. That makes sense.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
So the route would be Vietnam-Dominican Republic-Jamaica. That makes sense.
I don't know what makes "sense", I do know some family coffee in years past was purchased as specialty coffee by Jamaican producers, same coffee-growing conditions, down to soil ph.

Of course, the rust wiped it out.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Monte Alto from Jarabacoa may not be the best coffee in the world, but it's pretty good. Buy the beans at the Ramirez farm and you can be sure it's not imported.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Upset with myself. I realize this is “the cart before the horse” But I decided to give one of the coffees mentioned here a go (I am the Bustelo lover) so I passed up the Serrano in Nacional because on package it says Dominican flavor or taste, and I decided to try Induban. All ok (I have not made it yet) until I googled and see it is owned by (for me at least) the despised group that owns Cafe Santo Domingo. I feel like giving it away. Bought it because its packaging says 100% Arabica beans. But I tend not to believe words from the company that puts out that tampered with Cafe Santo Domingo. So just venting. I made, imho a not bright decision.??????

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Upset with myself. I realize this is “the cart before the horse” But I decided to give one of the coffees mentioned here a go (I am the Bustelo lover) so I passed up the Serrano in Nacional because on package it says Dominican flavor or taste, and I decided to try Induban. All ok (I have not made it yet) until I googled and see it is owned by (for me at least) the despised group that owns Cafe Santo Domingo. I feel like giving it away. Bought it because its packaging says 100% Arabica beans. But I tend not to believe words from the company that puts out that tampered with Cafe Santo Domingo. So just venting. I made, imho a not bright decision.������

You may want to take a look at their website and see everything they produce:

https://www.induban.com/en/

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
When a company has to talk about wild berries and delicious chocolate after-tones then I probably don't want to drink their coffee.
Give me one that has an aroma like a hooker's slap in the face followed by a throat grabbing flavor like a Nate Diaz choke hold and delivers a porcelain busting rumble after two manly cups.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Upset with myself. I realize this is “the cart before the horse” But I decided to give one of the coffees mentioned here a go (I am the Bustelo lover) so I passed up the Serrano in Nacional because on package it says Dominican flavor or taste, and I decided to try Induban. All ok (I have not made it yet) until I googled and see it is owned by (for me at least) the despised group that owns Cafe Santo Domingo. I feel like giving it away. Bought it because its packaging says 100% Arabica beans. But I tend not to believe words from the company that puts out that tampered with Cafe Santo Domingo. So just venting. I made, imho a not bright decision.������

My MIL like Pilon which is also made by INDUBAN. I can tell you it has a much different taste and flavor than Cafe Santo Domingo. Much of the Induban premium brand comes from the Ranch Arriba area which is almost exclusively Arabica beans.
Try this coffee https://www.lagentedelaisla.com/collections/cafe-fresco/products/cafe-suave-y-alegre-organico
I have had Spirit Mountain coffee that is roasted by these people and it is very good.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Induban - pathetic excuse for coffee. Pretty horrible. We tried it. Suffice to say we think it is not coffee (as we know it). Thin, bland, hardly an aroma, and barely a taste. The company that puts this stuff out should be apologetic that they market it as coffee (again as we who love our coffee feel right now). Just made pot of Bustelo and am enjoying.
Enjoy your Saturday everyone.