Best coffee in DR

bubba

Dec 15, 2003
Used to bring SANTO DOMINGO coffee home but last time I was in the DR there was a drought and the bean crop was down and I heard that coffee was being imported. If true has the crops recovered.
My son loves coffee and I want to bring him some beans home. I don't drink it so me testing it would be worthless. He like strong coffee.

I know everyone has an opinion so I might take an average.
Thanks

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The best coffee is not the strongest coffee.

If you like strong coffee, Cafe Santo Domingo from a greca is fine.

Often poor quality coffee is roased dark to hide the faults.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Used to bring SANTO DOMINGO coffee home but last time I was in the DR there was a drought and the bean crop was down and I heard that coffee was being imported. If true has the crops recovered.
My son loves coffee and I want to bring him some beans home. I don't drink it so me testing it would be worthless. He like strong coffee.

Thanks
Santo Domingo is always imported. One of the worst I have tasted. We always bring three or four packages from the Netherlands. Organic Colombian.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Sin embargo, en los últimos cinco años República Dominicana se ha visto en la obligación de importar medio millón de quintales por año (2.5 millones de quintales), lo que significa que la mayor parte del café que se consume en el mercado interno no es cosechado en los campos dominicanos.

https://www.eldinero.com.do/24225/el-mercado-dominicano-consume-cafe-importado/

También reveló que hay 1.6 millón de tareas de cafetos que necesitan rehabilitación. Un reportaje reciente de la agencia EFE destaca que el 92% del café que consumen los dominicanos llega de Vietnam. Cada año se importan entre US$15 y US$18 millones por este concepto.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Couldnt you find somerhing more up to date. Therw are a number of smallee producers that import nothing and there were large areas in several procinces that were not affected by rhe coffee rust. Monte Alto is a strong flavored coffee that I doubt is imported. I drink aeveral coffees local to Jarabacoa area that are good and Kafe from Rancho Arriba is an organic coffee that is medium roast and great tasting. Coffee Melo is also good, and strong. There are some others.

bubba

Dec 15, 2003
I will have my wife try some Induban Gourmet, I would imagine we will have to go offsite from the hotel. We will eat at least two dinners offsite, I will ask at the restaurant what the brand is.
Thanks again all.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019

Thanks

Buy green in the POP farmers` market. Fry. Grind. And enjoy.
Like all of us here do.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
I will have my wife try some Induban Gourmet, I would imagine we will have to go offsite from the hotel. We will eat at least two dinners offsite, I will ask at the restaurant what the brand is.
Thanks again all.

We will think of you, Bubba !

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That article is over three years old after the rust.

The crop has rebounded well.

My wife's family are coffee producers.

Be still my beating heart!!!!

On a related subject: Has anyone tried Vandervort (sp) coffee? I'm no coffee conissereo but I think it's pretty good stuff.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
For us it still is Bustelo. Never have a moment of doubt when drinking it. But always happy to try highly recommended other coffees.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
For us it still is Bustelo. Never have a moment of doubt when drinking it. But always happy to try highly recommended other coffees.

year in and year out....never fails. And for those with a barely beating heart they have a decafe

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Mama Inez is really good. Made just outside Santo Domingo with local beans.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mama Inez is really good. Made just outside Santo Domingo with local beans.

I wish they sold whole beans, I’ve only seen ground.

The best coffee beans we bought in DR came from Cobraboy’s wife, I know that CcCCC loved it too, and so did JDJones. I shared some of my beans (I think we bought 40 pounds) with Tamborista a couple of times. I was sad when the rust destroyed their plants, and glad to hear they’ve a new harvest.

A couple of years ago, we met a coffee company at the Agricultural Fair at the Féria Ganadera in Santo Domingo. They were from Santiago. Tried a couple of pounds of beans, and they were so good that we went back and ordered 40 pounds. Ridiculously cheap, 160 pesos a pound. When we went back to DR, we called the salesman, ordered more. Same quality, different brand, price went up a bit. I think they roast for several brands, but as far as I’m concerned, the taste is in the roasting.........