Best Golf Courses - by GolfWeek

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
All these lists can be taken with a grain of salt especially those from magazines that rely on the advertising dollar . Nearly all have two things in common , they are all relatively new courses and they are all resort type courses. In the case of the DR , they will be all relatively flat and over watered. Compared to the top courses at the private clubs in the USA, UK, Ireland and Australia, they are many notches down. The Caribbean courses and especially those in the DR are built and conditioned to suit the tourist and they are very successful in that way . I have not played the new resort courses in Mexico that are well represented in this list but I wonder if they are better than the more established courses in Barbados.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I doubt Playa Grande will be advertising...... no photos, you notice!!??

Trent Jones, Pete Dye.... some good course architects on the list

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
yes that is correct and you can add Nicklaus and Fazio to the list . However, each architect has a brief from the client and is limited by the terrain . The one excellent new course in the DR that was not mentioned is the PGA Ocean 4 course at Playa Nueva Romana between La Romana and San Pedro..there is no famous name architect connected with this course but has far more personality and interest than the bland Resort courses and has wonderful fairways . Playa Grande is a very good course and I have no problems with it being listed at the top although it is rather flat .

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I doubt Playa Grande will be advertising...... no photos, you notice!!??

Trent Jones, Pete Dye.... some good course architects on the list

I played Playa Grande probably 100 times. Paradise course. But that was in the 2000s and early 2010s... now it is for Michael Jordan, Bill Clinton etc. To play there now you have to rent a villa starting at 2100 USD a night, then 500USD to play. Also a membership option of 100k entrance fee and 20k a year. Sad, but I have good memories.

Reactions: JD Jones

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
yes that is correct and you can add Nicklaus and Fazio to the list . However, each architect has a brief from the client and is limited by the terrain . The one excellent new course in the DR that was not mentioned is the PGA Ocean 4 course at Playa Nueva Romana between La Romana and San Pedro..there is no famous name architect connected with this course but has far more personality and interest than the bland Resort courses and has wonderful fairways . Playa Grande is a very good course and I have no problems with it being listed at the top although it is rather flat .

I liked the PGA Ocean 4,course but I like La Estancia, also in La Romana, even more. Hidden gem and affordable.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is a new golf course that will be created in Punta Bergantín. Will it be for mortals or Michael Jordan types? Will it give Teeth of the Dog and Punta Espada a run for their money or will be in the level of the Cocotal, Los Marlins, Catalunya, etc types?

Reactions: HDR

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
There is a new golf course that will be created in Punta Bergantín. Will it be for mortals or Michael Jordan types? Will it give Teeth of the Dog and Punta Espada a run for their money or will be in the level of the Cocotal, Los Marlins, Catalunya, etc types?

Do you have more info on this? North Coast desperately needs one more golf course. No, I do not call Los Mangos in Costambar a golf course.

Edit: Found some info. Vin Diesel Studio there. I doubt it will be affordable.