best grocery store

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
[rant]

I understand imported foods must have a lable in Spanish about contents, nutritional info, etc. And I know it has to be a label that can't be easily removed.

But, seriously, how about APPLYING THE LABLE SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN THE FRICKIN' RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS?????

I'd kinda sorta like to know how much water, butter, etc., is needed, and at what temperatures, etc....

[/rant]

dont you just love it when you buy something in the supermarket here, and the price sticker covers the preparation instructions? yes, CB, i just don't get it. apparently, they don't, either.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
stamping new label on cooking instructions does not bother me quite as much as stamping it over best before date - that happens too.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
stamping new label on cooking instructions does not bother me quite as much as stamping it over best before date - that happens too.

that's because you are a good cook. i need to know how much milk to add to instant pudding

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
don't let the date fool you. i know of some guys who were buying out of date stuff in Miami, and getting the date stamp altered.

Someone I know worked in a store who used nail polish remover - to remove the expiration dates on packaging [where it wasn't imbedded/impressed into cardboard]

Truly buyer beware

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seen it carefully scratched out with a razor and a price/code sticker stuck to that very area...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
[rant]

I understand imported foods must have a lable in Spanish about contents, nutritional info, etc. And I know it has to be a label that can't be easily removed.

But, seriously, how about APPLYING THE LABLE SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN THE FRICKIN' RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS?????

I'd kinda sorta like to know how much water, butter, etc., is needed, and at what temperatures, etc....

[/rant]
Strange...

When ever I go to Supermarkets in Bravo, Nacional, and La Serena in Santiago, I see many US imported products without any Spanish label what so ever. So no covering instructions or expiration date. I guess soon they will be hit with big fines if they continue to do so? Is the law doesn't applied to them?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Strange...

When ever I go to Supermarkets in Bravo, Nacional, and La Serena in Santiago, I see many US imported products without any Spanish label what so ever. So no covering instructions or expiration date. I guess soon they will be hit with big fines if they continue to do so? Is the law doesn't applied to them?

in countries like these, Koreano, people like the owners of the aforementioned supermarkets make the laws.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Gracias Chirimoya! Great, then I don't have to worry about running out of Yerba mate - I know the dulce de Leche isn't the same, but the most important thing for me is my mate :)

Mate tea is so good! I used to buy it in the states. I found it in a store where they sold organic and herbal products.

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
Mate tea is so good! I used to buy it in the states. I found it in a store where they sold organic and herbal products.

You either love it or hate it! I tried getting my husband to drink it since it's a social thing, but he doesn't like it (except for a version that is really mild and has mint in it, not the same at all so it doesn't count). I really miss drinking it with others, but before we had our baby I would sit and paint for a day or two drinking mate the whole time! :)

I've only done grocery shopping at Jumbo in SD (only been there once), but we have a La Sirena not too far from us (if I remember correctly). Guess it will take a while to decide which one we'll like best. The only imported thing we really need is Mate though :)

Apr 13, 2011
Going to Pricesmart once a month for bulk items helps (it is a bit of a drive for me, so going weekly is not worth the traffic), and then the needs at a La Sinera will be less, therefor more reasonable - and only use the colmado for the last minute things you forget, because that is the most expensive option, but they are useful for when you need small items or small portions of ingredients.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've never been to Pricesmart - is there a membership involved? Wondered if I needed to go with my BIL who goes all the time, or if it's open to the public

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I've never been to Pricesmart - is there a membership involved? Wondered if I needed to go with my BIL who goes all the time, or if it's open to the public

PriceSmart is members only like BJs or COSTCO in the US. The people that started PriceSmart used to work in COSTCO and copied the idea in Latin America.

Apr 13, 2011
It was not difficult or expensive to get the membership for Pricesmart - but it was a while ago and I do not remember how much - but it was easy.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I "KNOW" Santo Domingo Supermarkets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said,And as has been said, they each have their "Points" both strong, and weak!

I start my day with "Diario Libre", and the supermarket "Ads", and "Circulars".
To see what's, "On Special" and where.
I know, "By Heart" all the "Special Days" and what group of products are 20 to 50% off those dates.
Usually they are fruits & vegetables, or "Meat"!
I could list every item, and where to get it "Cheaper", or "Best Quality" but that would take hours, and it changes, week to week.
"All Things Considered Together", "Super Mercado National", Arroyo Hondo branch to be specific, is best for my needs.
After going almost every day since it's Grand Opening", I know all the "Right People" there.
Some people don't realize that Super National, Jumbo,and many other "Chains" are all part of a Spanish Conglomerate, "CCD".
I do go to "Jumbo" on Luperon on Tuesdays, for "Fruits and Vegetables", because even though they sell the EXACT same Fruits & Vegetable as Super Mercado National, from their same warehouse, right next to "Jumbo Luperon", Jumbo gives a 35% discount on all of them, "National, not as much.Jumbo, has better/lower prices on many of the same items.
If I miss anything, "Weds." is discount day at National Arroyo Hondo, and only 5 minutes, or less, from my house.
I spend over $2,000 US dollars a month at supermarkets :eek::eek::eek:, so I KNOW Supermarkets!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Pricesmart price blows.

There's not much or no saving on many of the boxed items they sell. It will save you trip to local supermarket or colmador but sometimes I find some of the items cheaper in major/local small supermarkets.

CC has the right idea, I sometimes borrow newspaper from our watchie so I can see what the supermarket has offering this week. It's far more cheaper way to shop then going to Pricesmart to buy in bulk.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It was not difficult or expensive to get the membership for Pricesmart - but it was a while ago and I do not remember how much - but it was easy.

it is over 2 grand for membership. i just strike up a conversation with a pleasant looking person, give them the money for the stuff i want to get, and throw it in his or her cart...2 grand is a lot when you only go once per year. and all you want is a large can of clams.

Apr 13, 2011
I agree Pricesmart is not worth it if you only go once a year, but, going monthly, we seem to save a lot versus if we got everything from the local La Sirena - but no, we do watch for the discounts as CC and Koreano do - so yes, that could save the OP money as well

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
it is over 2 grand for membership. i just strike up a conversation with a pleasant looking person, give them the money for the stuff i want to get, and throw it in his or her cart...2 grand is a lot when you only go once per year. and all you want is a large can of clams.

They have invaded our company last week, giving away "free" bakery items if you sign up with Pricesmart membership. I ended up passing it as my wife have membership sharing with friend. One household can have two so we decide to pay the membership fee this year and friend pay next. So membership aren't that bad.

BUT...

It really sucks when you walk in to see some of the item for example Capri Sun cheaper or same price in La Serena or smaller grocery store like El Tescero in Santiago.