best grocery store

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They have invaded our company last week, giving away "free" bakery items if you sign up with Pricesmart membership. I ended up passing it as my wife have membership sharing with friend. One household can have two so we decide to pay the membership fee this year and friend pay next. So membership aren't that bad.

BUT...

It really sucks when you walk in to see some of the item for example Capri Sun cheaper or same price in La Serena or smaller grocery store like El Tescero in Santiago.

the same applies in POP; Jose Luis is a better deal for very many everyday things than is La Sirena.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I hate "Pricesmart"!!
If you know what the item sells for elsewhere, when on sale, PriceSmart is ALWAYS higher.
Since there is not a Dominican alive, or dead, that can understand "Unit Pricing", they get hypnotized buy the huge containers, and "Just Know" that it "HAS" to be cheaper than the smaller sizes in supermarkets.
The "Quality" of the products at "National/Jumbo", especially, meat/fish/produce, and bakery, more than makes up for their prices.
If you have to "Toss" something from another store, because it's rotten, or "Goes Bad" the day after you buy it, you should be shopping at "National/Jumbo"!
I have taken a few purchases of meat, or fruit back there over the last 27 years, and they either give me money, or a replacement.
Do double check the register price of all items,"Rings" higher there thanon the price sticker.
It happens all too often to be an "Honest Mistake"!
And that goes for all Supermarkets, not just National.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a pricesmart membership courtesy of a friend but i do not like them much. we only buy few items there. the packages are just so huge it does not really pay off to shop there for two people. my only guilty pleasure is their frozen cappuccino :)

unlike ccccc i never check any offers. we can only do proper shopping on saturdays so i do not stress over whatever specials i missed :) but food shopping is my big joy. i like to get new things. we buy some staples and our shopping card is more or less the same every week but i do like to get something extra: fancy cheese, ham, imported goodies.

May 12, 2005
B8D9316E-F6E3-48C9-B245-A9D758E164B5.jpeg

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I honestly think shopping at Pricesmart is like a status symbol here or brainwashed to believed to be cheap in DR. Not like in US where boxed/bulk item can be save you few bucks.

I think people shop at the Pricesmart fits within this category.

1. "Everyone look at me! I am rich and have huge refrigerator at home and can spend $10K pasos on bulk food and household items!"
2. "I have no clue how much things costs, but buying bulk always cheaper!"
3. "I am a brand snob and I shopped at Pricesmart!"
4. "I am lazy I need to buy certain items bulk." <-me
etc...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think i am somewhere along the lines "lazy and cheap" :) we buy mainly dog food there, olive oil, sometimes cookies (some huge american soft chocolate chip stuff that seems to have more calories in a cookie than i eat in a day :) ). few other things. and yes, the bill is always so high. darn!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I go to La Cadena because it is in the neighborhood and i can walk. For a big treat i will go to Nacional but I always end up spending way too much money on stuff that I do not really need that is imported or on veggies that go bad. Really.,. I mean.. fruit for the batida in the morning, a blt for lunch. a little chicken for dinner.. don't need a lot.. except the Nathans hot dogs

used to have a Price Smart membership but the stuff always went out the door in cartons with visitng Haitians so I gave that up

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i think i am somewhere along the lines "lazy and cheap" :) we buy mainly dog food there, olive oil, sometimes cookies (some huge american soft chocolate chip stuff that seems to have more calories in a cookie than i eat in a day :) ). few other things. and yes, the bill is always so high. darn!
Cheese, meats, dog/cat food, toilet paper and paper towels, coffee creamer, some toiletries, dish/laundry soap and office supplies are our primary purchases there. We also stock snacks & drinks for MotoCaribe.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
I honestly think shopping at Pricesmart is like a status symbol here or brainwashed to believed to be cheap in DR. Not like in US where boxed/bulk item can be save you few bucks.

1. "Everyone look at me! I am rich and have huge refrigerator at home and can spend $10K pasos on bulk food and household items!"
etc...
jajajaja might be true in some situations , we go their but we go everywhere . I promise you if we buy anything at pricesmart it is the least expensive in town. My wife is a jewish dominican. she does her homework on prices

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

etc...
There are items at Pricesmart unavailable elsewhere...in bulk. When you live an hour from PS, you NEED to buy in bulk.

I'm glad they are here.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
There are items at Pricesmart unavailable elsewhere...in bulk. When you live an hour from PS, you NEED to buy in bulk.

I'm glad they are here.
Don't get me wrong I do love the fact that Pricesmart is here. It is very convenient when we buy something in boxes or large qty but I just wish everything is little cheaper since they sell everything in bulk.