Best Hospital in Sto. Dom. ?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

Should I ever be COVID positive and require hospitalization, I would like to know which is the best hospital in the capital both in reputation and fact. I am assuming that it is, to quote its long name, Hospital General de la Plaza de la Salud. Are there others that are better or equivalent?

I would rather plan for this possibility while I am healthy.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Clínica Abreu, Hospiten, Corazones Unidos are up there.

The problem with Covid infected people is the unpredictability of their usage of the ICU units. A hospital can be the best of the best, but if all its ICU rooms are taken... The only respite for private hospitals users is that they in total have more ICU units than public hospitals. Still, when Covid got out of control during last spring, even private hospitals were struggling since their ICU's were either fully occupied or very close to being fully occupied.

Last edited:
Reactions: FGUnsworth1

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Clínica Abreu, Hospiten, Corazones Unidos are up there.

The problem with Covid infected people is the unpredictability of their usage of the ICU units. A hospital can be the best of the best, but if all its ICU rooms are taken... The only respite for private hospitals users is that they in total have more ICU units than public hospitals. Still, when Covid got out of control during last spring, even private hospitals were struggling since their ICU's were either fully occupied or very close to being fully occupied.
If one needs hospitalization due to hypoxia (oxygen deficit), there is low flow and high flow oxygen that does not require an ICU bed which is reserved for ventilation. But your point is well taken. The quality of medical care at even the best hospital will degrade if the staff/patient ratio changes for the worse. For this reason it might be a good idea to have two options should this be the case for your first choice.

I have been to Clinica Abreu many times. It is excellent. But it is not a hospital. Ambulatory care only. Can you give me a little information about Hospiten and Corazones Unidos, just a few sentences? I have never heard of these.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
CEDIMAT? Can you give me a couple sentences of description? Thanks.
Cedimat next or back of Plaza de la Salud is top notch private Hospital. If you have good insurance or $$ its the place to go.
Many Rich Dominican or Politician go their if not in Miami.

The have a rather new ( a few years old maybe 5) building deicate to Heart/chest problems. I think they used this building for intensive covid treatment. If you have international insurance or cash they have a international Department to guide you thru their system, speaking english. Some doctors speak english. During the initial covid outbreak they announce in the media that they were full.
Myself and my Dominican family go there for yearly check up or problems and we do not live in Santo Domingo. We have Humano MAX insurance plan. I had complete Heart/ lung check up (Stress test, Echo, EKG, SCAN,Xray,....) all top notch new equipment. Very clean Hospital. They also have a women's department for womens needs. If you are in Santo Domingo it's the place to go but you should have a back up if Cedimat is full with covid. Cedimat has a website you can look at google it.

You can not compare Cedimat and Plaza de la Salud. Plaza de la Salud is semi-private/public hospital very big, a few difference buildings. They take lower grade insurance and a lot less $$ than Cedimat. Also overcrowded and not as clean. Note a lot better than the complete public hospitals.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Now after writing about Cedimat. Cedimat is My first choice for any major problems or emergence.
For covid though usually not a fast or emergency need. I mean If I can recognize it. For example if I get flu like symptoms, fever and lose sense of smell or taste I would start the ivermectin treatment. ( you can read on this treatment on DR1 web and also google it)

If I start to have breathing problems I would rush to Canela Medical Center in La Romana. There is where they started this ivermectin treatment. They also modified CPAP machine to give you oxygen before invasive intubation. ( you can read up on this: DR1 & google)
La Romana for me but they also have a place in Puerto Plata, Centro Bournigal. We have a DR 1 member that wrote about his experience on the North coast-ivermectin not sure I think Russel (SPELLING ?)

DISCLOSER: I am not a Doctor and never went to Canela Medical Center or Bournigal but this is my plan if infected.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hello All,

Should I ever be COVID positive and require hospitalization, I would like to know which is the best hospital in the capital both in reputation and fact. I am assuming that it is, to quote its long name, Hospital General de la Plaza de la Salud. Are there others that are better or equivalent?

I would rather plan for this possibility while I am healthy.
Where are you in the Capital? That would make the difference for me.

My clinic of choice is Abreu and has been for close to 30 years. All of my doctors are there except my urologist who's office is in Plaza de Salud.

If I was brand new in the city, I'd probably choose between Hospiten and Cedimat. I think both are excellent choices.

If I live in the north part of the city, it would be Cedimat. If I lived in the south part of the city, Hospiten.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Cedimat next or back of Plaza de la Salud is top notch private Hospital. If you have good insurance or $$ its the place to go.
Many Rich Dominican or Politician go their if not in Miami.

The have a rather new ( a few years old maybe 5) building deicate to Heart/chest problems. I think they used this building for intensive covid treatment. If you have international insurance or cash they have a international Department to guide you thru their system, speaking english. Some doctors speak english. During the initial covid outbreak they announce in the media that they were full.
Myself and my Dominican family go there for yearly check up or problems and we do not live in Santo Domingo. We have Humano MAX insurance plan. I had complete Heart/ lung check up (Stress test, Echo, EKG, SCAN,Xray,....) all top notch new equipment. Very clean Hospital. They also have a women's department for womens needs. If you are in Santo Domingo it's the place to go but you should have a back up if Cedimat is full with covid. Cedimat has a website you can look at google it.

You can not compare Cedimat and Plaza de la Salud. Plaza de la Salud is semi-private/public hospital very big, a few difference buildings. They take lower grade insurance and a lot less $$ than Cedimat. Also overcrowded and not as clean. Note a lot better than the complete public hospitals.
Your descripton of CEDIMAT: I'm impressed and I will investigate. Your criticisms of Plaza de la Salud corroborates the not-so-great reviews on Google Maps. I went there once to ask a few questions and the staff were not that helpful.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If one needs hospitalization due to hypoxia (oxygen deficit), there is low flow and high flow oxygen that does not require an ICU bed which is reserved for ventilation. But your point is well taken. The quality of medical care at even the best hospital will degrade if the staff/patient ratio changes for the worse. For this reason it might be a good idea to have two options should this be the case for your first choice.

I have been to Clinica Abreu many times. It is excellent. But it is not a hospital. Ambulatory care only. Can you give me a little information about Hospiten and Corazones Unidos, just a few sentences? I have never heard of these.
Clínica Abreu is a hospital. Plenty of rooms with bed, but with the Covid epidemic availability of beds could be an issue not just here, but everywhere. The same with Hospiten and Corazones Unidos. The former is a Spanish company that offers hospital services in Southern Spain, DR (SD and Bávaro), Mexico (there is one in Cancún and elsewhere) and in more countries. All their hospitals are subject to Spanish standards, which is one of the highest. The latter is not part of an international company, but it's one of the best hospitals in SD.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Where are you in the Capital? That would make the difference for me.

My clinic of choice is Abreu and has been for close to 30 years. All of my doctors are there except my urologist who's office is in Plaza de Salud.

If I was brand new in the city, I'd probably choose between Hospiten and Cedimat. I think both are excellent choices.

If I live in the north part of the city, it would be Cedimat. If I lived in the south part of the city, Hospiten.
I have been to Clinica Abreu several times, and yes, I wouild call it my clinic of choice. In this case, however, I am looking for the best hospital for future needs, should they arise. I'm near Zona Colonial but I don't think the distance matters that much. If I were going to a hospital it would be via 911, an emergency. I would go to Clinica Abreu for urgent care. Another member mentioned that CEDIMAT has an international section for those with insurance and paying cash (like me). I must pay cash up front and then, with documentation, Kaiser Permanente in the U.S. will reimburse me. They have done so in the past, so I'm confident about that.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Just to clarify, the Plaza de Salud building also houses a lot of the imaging equipment and doctors offices used by both sections.
I had the HIFU (High Intensity Focused Ultrasound) treatment for my prostate cancer in Plaza de Salud.

When I had it done it was the only one in the Caribbean.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Clínica Abreu is a hospital. Plenty of rooms with bed, but with the Covid epidemic availability of beds could be an issue not just here, but everywhere. The same with Hospiten and Corazones Unidos. The former is a Spanish company that offers hospital services in Southern Spain, DR (SD and Bávaro), Mexico (there is one in Cancún and elsewhere) and in more countries. All their hospitals are subject to Spanish standards, which is one of the highest. The latter is not part of an international company, but it's one of the best hospitals in SD.
Also may want to mention Corazones Unidos is cash only.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Thank you for these helpful distinctions. I will investigate. I'm happy to hear that Plaza de la Salud is not the only game in town and maybe not necessarily the best either.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Just to clarify, the Plaza de Salud building also houses a lot of the imaging equipment and doctors offices used by both sections.
I had the HIFU (High Intensity Focused Ultrasound) treatment for my prostate cancer in Plaza de Salud.

When I had it done it was the only one in the Caribbean.
Their website is impressive and describes a wide range of specialty departments.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I have been to Clinica Abreu several times, and yes, I wouild call it my clinic of choice. In this case, however, I am looking for the best hospital for future needs, should they arise. I'm near Zona Colonial but I don't think the distance matters that much. If I were going to a hospital it would be via 911, an emergency. I would go to Clinica Abreu for urgent care. Another member mentioned that CEDIMAT has an international section for those with insurance and paying cash (like me). I must pay cash up front and then, with documentation, Kaiser Permanente in the U.S. will reimburse me. They have done so in the past, so I'm confident about that.

Whenever I make an appointment at Cedimat I try to get it for the first hour and get there an hour early (6 am).

I wouldn't think of trying to cross the city during the day when minutes count.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Now after writing about Cedimat. Cedimat is My first choice for any major problems or emergence.
For covid though usually not a fast or emergency need. I mean If I can recognize it. For example if I get flu like symptoms, fever and lose sense of smell or taste I would start the ivermectin treatment. ( you can read on this treatment on DR1 web and also google it)

If I start to have breathing problems I would rush to Canela Medical Center in La Romana. There is where they started this ivermectin treatment. They also modified CPAP machine to give you oxygen before invasive intubation. ( you can read up on this: DR1 & google)
La Romana for me but they also have a place in Puerto Plata, Centro Bournigal. We have a DR 1 member that wrote about his experience on the North coast-ivermectin not sure I think Russel (SPELLING ?)

DISCLOSER: I am not a Doctor and never went to Canela Medical Center or Bournigal but this is my plan if infected.
Ivermectin is recommended for mild to moderate cases when the patient is still ambulatory (at home, self-care) and not for the more advanced runaway cytokine response. I have ivermectin, doxycyline, a pulse oximeter, and graph paper for charting oxygen saturation and temps. in my First Aid kit. If I even have cold/flu symptoms, and I'm not sure if it is COVID, I will take a low dose of ivermectin prophylactically. I cannot cite the report but one physician in a hospital in the D.R. recommends 400 mcg per kg of bodyweight. (Multiply mcg by kg, then divide by 1000 to get mg). For me this would be about 33 mg. Still investigating whether this is a single dose or distributed among divided doses. If anosmia or other indications of COVID, I will ramp up the dosage. If my O2 saturation starts heading south, I'm calling 911.

I have read the four or so original research articles on ivermectin, and I have them. Later, I want to add to the ivermectin thread by introducing and summarizing these articles. When I look at the posting menu, I can find no way to attach documents. Is the only way to share by private PM?