Best Places to Live in DR

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We lived in Bavaro for 3 years then moved to Uvero Alto when our place was finally finished. 200'(60 meters) from the beach and the first few years it was completely isolated. Now we are surrounded by hotels but it is still very quiet and only 20 minutes from all the stores in Bavaro.
Its beautiful area and as the hotels are mostly adult only we don't have to listen to screaming children.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gas in parts of the US is $2.40. Eating local sure but things like cereal or your favorite adult beverage (Canadian Club) is much higher

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Yes to both..
here on the US-Can border , we cross to fill up

We make our own breakfast granola... Tony The Tiger is $$$

Mexico too has big Rye/Whiskey $$

Rum =-- again - think local

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks Matilda. I have some more questions for you. Once I have enough posts I will try to message you. How has it been so far?

It has been fine. We have 24/7 power which only goes off for around 4 hours one Friday a month for maintenance. Water is delivered to the cistern fortnightly and there is zero crime. Feel free to message when you have 10 posts.

Matilda

sealuva

Jun 12, 2018
It has been fine. We have 24/7 power which only goes off for around 4 hours one Friday a month for maintenance. Water is delivered to the cistern fortnightly and there is zero crime. Feel free to message when you have 10 posts.

Matilda

I will thanks. This post it 4. :) LOL

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Where do you live that you find that. Bought a car? Bought gasoline? Paid an electric bill? Gone to the supermarket?
Yes if you life in a zinc covered house with one light and a small fan where the electricity goes out everyday then it's cheap otherwise it is not

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

yo chico ... are you serious.... I lived in new york than came here to PC area my bills are 30 percent less and I go to all the great restaurants here... also play golf almost everyday for half of what it costs in the states on best courses

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
We lived in Bavaro for 3 years then moved to Uvero Alto when our place was finally finished. 200'(60 meters) from the beach and the first few years it was completely isolated. Now we are surrounded by hotels but it is still very quiet and only 20 minutes from all the stores in Bavaro.
Its beautiful area and as the hotels are mostly adult only we don't have to listen to screaming children.
. I agree ... I know the area well.....

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
yo chico ... are you serious.... I lived in new york than came here to PC area my bills are 30 percent less and I go to all the great restaurants here... also play golf almost everyday for half of what it costs in the states on best courses

Which Golf courses ? and what green fees do you pay for 18 with a cart?

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Interesting thread. For me I prefer Juan Dolio. I like how it is split between old and new JD. It has all I would want from a beach town. The big all inclusive hotels are also friendly to outsiders to tag along on a diving trip. The long marginal road near the water is a fantastic bike ride. If I want to go all touristy and commercial Boca Chica is a short trip away. I stay just as long as I can stand it LOL. Santo Domingo is both as close and far as I like. I am a city boy also having grown up in NYC. The capital is a unique city in its own right and a visit keeps me from getting homesick.

I currently have a place in Sosua and another apt in Santiago. I love Sosua a few days a week for the beach and restaurants as well as hanging out with some ex pats and tourists, Santiago is a city I love it has everything a big city has night spots,cafes restaurants and also hospitals and plenty of shopping. It is also not too touristy so its a nice getaway from the beach. Come to think of it Im really spoiled living like this, and it doesnt cost much at all. So I would suggest mix it up. :)

sealuva

Jun 12, 2018
I've lived in Nagua, Sosua, Santo Domingo and Santiago.
For me, Santiago is my favorite.

What made you like Santiago over the other places? I see great rentals there. I'm looking to move to DR early next year and stay somewhere I can have good internet access until I find where I want to live long term.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
If you think its expensive to live here either you don't get out much or your paying Gringo prices. I think people tend to forget that this is an Island ( rather large one) in the Caribbean. Yet still my house here costs less to run then any of my previous homes in the States and abroad - electric, water, trash removal, cable, wifi, house keeper, gardener, security and my monthly grocery bill combined, plus its larger and nicer. My health insurance is 50.00 per month compared to the 550 I pay in the US> I can roll into any pharmacy and buy antibiotics etc for 10 % the cost in the states - over the counter. Vehicle registration/property tax + vehicle insurance compared to the states.. ha! This is also the only tropical location on this side of the globe where you can safely stroll down to a beautiful beach, plunk down in a lounger and have ice cold beer served to you all day long for 100 peso's per bottle. To say it is expensive to live here is absolutely absurd.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
oftentimes , those who complain about the cost are duplicating (trying to ) their foreign lifestyle.

buying local is MUCH cheaper....
buy the CA or FL veggies and the price goes up.anything in a foil package , is usually more $$

Stick with local - veg, fish, pork, pollo and life is good

Very close to the optimum diet too... low to zero preservatives..paleo diet sort of

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
oftentimes , those who complain about the cost are duplicating (trying to ) their foreign lifestyle.

buying local is MUCH cheaper....
buy the CA or FL veggies and the price goes up.anything in a foil package , is usually more $$

Stick with local - veg, fish, pork, pollo and life is good

Very close to the optimum diet too... low to zero preservatives..paleo diet sort of

Hammer, meet nail.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
If you think its expensive to live here either you don't get out much or your paying Gringo prices. I think people tend to forget that this is an Island ( rather large one) in the Caribbean. Yet still my house here costs less to run then any of my previous homes in the States and abroad - electric, water, trash removal, cable, wifi, house keeper, gardener, security and my monthly grocery bill combined, plus its larger and nicer. My health insurance is 50.00 per month compared to the 550 I pay in the US> I can roll into any pharmacy and buy antibiotics etc for 10 % the cost in the states - over the counter. Vehicle registration/property tax + vehicle insurance compared to the states.. ha! This is also the only tropical location on this side of the globe where you can safely stroll down to a beautiful beach, plunk down in a lounger and have ice cold beer served to you all day long for 100 peso's per bottle. To say it is expensive to live here is absolutely absurd.

You are collecting paychecks in USD not DOM Pesos, that makes all differences

fstopper84

Nov 9, 2018
We paid US$50,000 for a large (very large) house - 2 living rooms, 2 baths, 3 beds, kitchen, utility, study, cellar and dog room lol plus wrap around balcony and 9 tareas. Near Moncion.

Matilda
How does buying property work in the DR?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk