Best Places to Live in DR

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
We recently purchased a property in San Jose de las Matas. We were considered foreign investors. Before closing we had to show proof of income (two years), personal references, business references, bank references, passport photo, copies of current assets (cars and home) and then have a local Dominican in essence cosign for our good character. It seemed like a lot but really is not that much different than a closing here in the states. Everything went very professionally at closing.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We recently purchased a property in San Jose de las Matas. We were considered foreign investors. Before closing we had to show proof of income (two years), personal references, business references, bank references, passport photo, copies of current assets (cars and home) and then have a local Dominican in essence cosign for our good character. It seemed like a lot but really is not that much different than a closing here in the states. Everything went very professionally at closing.

Mr AE has cousins from there (Olivo). If you don’t mind my asking, what made you choose there?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Mr AE has cousins from there (Olivo). If you don’t mind my asking, what made you choose there?

We went to Sajoma one day to visit an old schoolmate of my wife's. Very beautiful area that I would like to explore more. Great farmland, clean air and water. It's only 30-40 minutes from Santiago.

sealuva

Jun 12, 2018

Was this to buy property cash or financed? It sounds like much if its a cash purchase, but then it is Dominican Republic.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We went to Sajoma one day to visit an old schoolmate of my wife's. Very beautiful area that I would like to explore more. Great farmland, clean air and water. It's only 30-40 minutes from Santiago.

Yep. Get out into the small towns of the country and you're smack dab in the center of Green Acres. Great simple honest folks and the country is beautiful.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I want to live in San Cristobal, is it a good place to live?

It's OK. One of the nice things about San Cris is it's proximity to SD.

But San Cris is the same as any other town-lots of motorcycles and traffic, two or three passable clinics and a fairly new Sirena supermarket.

It works for me because I work nearby.

I live in a apartment building with lots of space outside with very quiet respectful neighbors. My apartment is the same size as my last one in Santo Domingo, but the rent is less than half what I was paying before.

There are a lot of apartments in different areas of town for 12-15K pesos. Definitely a bargain.

I've lived in many parts of the country, and it is very high on my list of good places to live.

But, if you're a city guy (I'm not) you may not like it much.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you live in San Cristobal, you’re also close to the beaches in Najayo and Palenque (our preference), and the river Nizao. There’s also a secluded beach in Nizao, no one selling anything, empty. And you also have La Toma right in SC.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
What's the guagua commute time and cost? I am guessing that it runs approximately 6:30 A.M. to 8:00 P.M.?

They run a lot earlier than 6:30am. I drive to work every morning a 5:30 and they race past me. The cost is 40 pesos.

Mikejohnson: I gotta ask.. Why do you say you want to live in San Cristobal if you haven't even come to the island yet??? What do you know that I don't? lol

mikejohnson

Apr 24, 2019
It's OK. One of the nice things about San Cris is it's proximity to SD.

But San Cris is the same as any other town-lots of motorcycles and traffic, two or three passable clinics and a fairly new Sirena supermarket.

It works for me because I work nearby.

I live in a apartment building with lots of space outside with very quiet respectful neighbors. My apartment is the same size as my last one in Santo Domingo, but the rent is less than half what I was paying before.

There are a lot of apartments in different areas of town for 12-15K pesos. Definitely a bargain.

I've lived in many parts of the country, and it is very high on my list of good places to live.

But, if you're a city guy (I'm not) you may not like it much.

Thanks for the answer. I am not a city guy.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Me I am a beach freak. I gotta be within 15 minutes of the beach, the little brown babes, it is! Puerto Plata. For meLow rent. I pay 8000 pesos and have air conditioning as well as hot water in the shower. I, of course, pay for electric and gas ontop of that.
Derfish

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
For me Juan Dolio, I like to be close to the beach. And its quiet I can hear the sea at night. I also need to be close to the capital, because I am still a city boy and SD is the best city on the island, no doubt. If I want to be touristy, I go to the beach in Boca Chica. Juan Dolio is a strategic location for me.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
For me Juan Dolio, I like to be close to the beach. And its quiet I can hear the sea at night. I also need to be close to the capital, because I am still a city boy and SD is the best city on the island, no doubt. If I want to be touristy, I go to the beach in Boca Chica. Juan Dolio is a strategic location for me.

Does anyone else equate Santo Domingo with New Orleans? Whenever I drive through Santo Domingo somehow I feel as if I am in New Orleans. Don't know why.
Derfish

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
AlterEgo and sealuva sorry I messed up and didn't see your followup questions about the property in Sajoma. I lived and worked there in the early 70's with the coffee coop and the savings and credit coop doing accounting and traveling throughout the campos doing charlas about the coop movement. The coffee coop went bust when world prices crashed years ago but Cooperativa San Jose now occupies a 5-story building with more than a dozen branches around the country. We've stayed in contact with the community for all these past 40 plus years and finally decided to make an investment there. Talked to Joaquin at the coop and he couldn't come close to the rates we could get back in the US to do a cash out of part of the equity in our home here. Lots of homes for sale or rent in the area. We're outside of town. Typical loud, congested little town. Good eats. Competitive prices to those in Santiago. Trojan T105's at Bellon in Santiago were 7945. We paid 7400 with 2yr guarantee in Sajoma just last week. Good rios and great people. Kinda at the end of the road so there's not a lot of transients.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Given the recent 'hot topics' surrounding Sos/Cab and environs...

this 'where to live' thread should have value.

Choosing where is a lot more than just beaches etc.....
factor the crime rate in the decision.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Given the recent 'hot topics' surrounding Sos/Cab and environs...

this 'where to live' thread should have value.

Choosing where is a lot more than just beaches etc.....
factor the crime rate in the decision.

Nominally i would agree but how reliable is data? My thoughts are cities like San Pedro which are not tourist sites have far less crime because it doesn't attract criminals. That's not why I choose to live here but it is a big advantage.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's my point --

not that the non-tourists locales have NO crime - but LESS on a per capita basis.

Certainly- we have had murders in my little area...
but overall, my guess is crime is less of a concern than in a tourist zone