Best Rum in the DR: Brugal, Barcelo or Bermudez?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hillbilly said:
Cubans do not drink their rum very pure, and in a country where they can get real Coca-Cola they will generally prefer a Cuba Libre.

I did try the Red Label on ice. It was perhaps too early in the day, barely with the sun over the yardarm, but it did not seem to have the bouquet og the Imperial I am used to. I may have anticipated too much.

However, to your great disgust, most people in this country do mix their rum with something, and "that's a fact, Jack" :p

Therefore, I felt it was a fair test of drinkablilty. I was not looking for connoiseurs, just opinions, and, after all the Red Label did come out on top, in spite of the "desacration" by the un-couth....:p:p

Story: It appears that the Siboney warehouses were involved in a very nasty, very long court case and that is why the rum is so good. Many thousands of barrels were stored for several years giving the re-launch of the brand an excellent base.

FYI: Barcel? Imperial uses alcohol from Venezuela as part of its mix...

HB :D:D:D
Wow is that a fact about the storing for years? If so I will stock up on this stuff.

I really only compared Siboney to Imperial and Anniverserio. I thought these were the high bars for comparison.

I never understood why anyone would mix a thing with a good rum or Scotch or anything else that is diluting.

Escott

Apr 26, 2002
I'm always amazed at how brands come and go in popularity. In the 1970s, Bermudez was the king of rums and Bohemia the king of bears. Now, Bermudez, at least, is nothing.

Siboney??? I remember it from years ago as a dying brand that I thought about trying but was advised against. "You want an obscure brand", I was told, "try Macorix." Still, I got the impression that it was a once-popular brand - like Monte Carlo cigarettes - from the Trujillo era.

I will definitely have to try the red label. But, then, friends are all over me because I still haven't tried the Barcelo Imperial.

BTW, to whom did Barcelo sell? And who owns Siboney???

As for rums, I recommend the following from those I have tried (to drink straight, of course):

Havana Club 7 Year
Veradero 7 Year
Barbancourt 5 Star
Pampero Aniversario (Venezuela)
Pussers British Navy (BVI)

I cannot agree with the Flor de Cana recommendation because it is too sweet for me. And I just gave away a large bottle of Abuelo Viejo because I found it as undrinkable (straight) as I find most Bacardi.

And speaking of the Bacardis ... does anyone deserve more credit for destroying the reputation of rum as a sipping drink than they? I've heard that they make a few decent rums in The Bahamas, but I don't care. I have no interest. To the world, Bacardi is rum and rum is to be mixed into sickeningly sweet drinks with little umbrellas sticking out of them. I hate them!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
I'm always amazed at how brands come and go in popularity. In the 1970s, Bermudez was the king of rums and Bohemia the king of bears. Now, Bermudez, at least, is nothing.

Siboney??? I remember it from years ago as a dying brand that I thought about trying but was advised against. "You want an obscure brand", I was told, "try Macorix." As for rums, I recommend the following from those I have tried (to drink straight, of course):

Havana Club 7 Year
Veradero 7 Year
Barbancourt 5 Star
Pampero Aniversario (Venezuela)
Pussers British Navy (BVI)
In Havana Cuba they didn't sell Havana Club 7 year old. They sold Caribbean Club 7 year old.

I prefer Bemudez to Barcelo and Brugal. Less of a bad headache.

Siboney is real nice and I went out today to buy a bunch in case what HB said was true, that it is old because it was involved in a lawsuit however rum does NOT age in a bottle so I don't know what to think about what he said.

The Super Super had it for 185 which is the cheapest I have seen it for. 212 at the Playero. That is a big difference. I bought 6 bottles of it today.

Unlike HB I like it on the rocks. Way better than the Imperial or the Anniversario which was my last favorite rum. That Brugal in the blue bottle is pretty good but with the difference in price I am a Siboney kind of GUY!

Thanks Badpiece for turning me onto it!

Escott

My opinion

Now personally I like the Macorix 8 a?os, smooth and silky over ice, deadly yes!

I also like a good single malt, never found any in the DR worth drinking or nothing to match Glenfiddich or Glengarioch.
Glenfiddich Havana Reserve. 21 year old has an unusual twist to the world's No 1 single malt - this Glenfiddich has been finished in Havana Rum casks giving a gorgeous rummy nose and a full, round, rich body with just a hint of Havana, a tad costly but excellent sipping whiskey.

Now also if you want the best and can find it try Convalmore Rare Old ($195US), to expensive for me

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
I have lookede and lookied for siboney the last several trips to the DR without success. Where have you found it for sale? please reveal all.
I also was a single malt scotch drinker. Then one day I tried the 7 year havana club and 12 year old Jamiesan tastes like diesel fuel. I thought I discovered air. Like butter!
Straight up w/ chaser back is good sippin', man.
Siboney, siboney.

Apr 26, 2002
Well, I found out this for starters. Siboney is not Siboney. And nothing has been abandoned in barrels for years.

Apparently, the old Siboney died. A Spanish distiller called BEICA invested into an all new distillery in San Pedro de Macorix (at the Quisqueya sugar mill, none the less) and now markets its product under the Siboney name. Listin Article

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Well, I found out this for starters. Siboney is not Siboney. And nothing has been abandoned in barrels for years.

Apparently, the old Siboney died. A Spanish distiller called BEICA invested into an all new distillery in San Pedro de Macorix (at the Quisqueya sugar mill, none the less) and now markets its product under the Siboney name. Listin Article
I feared the same but alas, no problema para mi. I will drink the next 80 bottles an no complaints para mi!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Escott said:
In Havana Cuba they didn't sell Havana Club 7 year old. They sold Caribbean Club 7 year old.

I prefer Bemudez to Barcelo and Brugal. Less of a bad headache.

Siboney is real nice and I went out today to buy a bunch in case what HB said was true, that it is old because it was involved in a lawsuit however rum does NOT age in a bottle so I don't know what to think about what he said.

The Super Super had it for 185 which is the cheapest I have seen it for. 212 at the Playero. That is a big difference. I bought 6 bottles of it today.

Unlike HB I like it on the rocks. Way better than the Imperial or the Anniversario which was my last favorite rum. That Brugal in the blue bottle is pretty good but with the difference in price I am a Siboney kind of GUY!

Thanks Badpiece for turning me onto it!

Escott

Scott,

Don't know when you where there but when I was there 3 mo in spring/summer 2004.. they sold Havana club at every dollar store.. I preferred Mulatta.. which is a more obscure drink but very nice.. 7 and 12 yo both are sold.. of course I also tried the really local brands and some white rum in unmarked bottles that the locals were drinking..

But I always mix my rum with Coke..

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MerengueDutchie said:
Don't know when you where there but when I was there 3 mo in spring/summer 2004.. they sold Havana club at every dollar store.. I preferred Mulatta.. which is a more obscure drink but very nice.. 7 and 12 yo both are sold..
Do you remember what they charge in Cuba for the Havanna Club rum?

Apr 26, 2002
To be fair about the Brugal Extra Viejo, nothing can come close to it AT ITS PRICE. Though it has a little burn at the beginning, its flavor is actually fairly rich and complex.

But watch out if you drink too much of it! It's like jumping head first off a three story building!

I haven't tried the Siglo de Oro, but the consensus from earlier threads was that the Gran Imperial is better.

BTW, Havana Club (7 year), as of last week when I bought a bottle, costs US$12 in Grand Cayman - also a tremendous buy.

Does everyone understand that Havana Club is now French-owned?

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
duhtree I have lookede and lookied for siboney the last several trips to the DR without success. Where have you found it for sale? please reveal all.

I saw it in Nacional supermarket yesterday.
It was an offer in a bag: 0.7 ltr Siboney + 1 ltr Coke: 194 pesos! :p

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
MerengueDutchie said:
Scott,

Don't know when you where there but when I was there 3 mo in spring/summer 2004.. they sold Havana club at every dollar store.. I preferred Mulatta.. which is a more obscure drink but very nice.. 7 and 12 yo both are sold.. of course I also tried the really local brands and some white rum in unmarked bottles that the locals were drinking..

But I always mix my rum with Coke..
I was there about 1 year ago. They didn't have a big selection of anything in Havana. How can you tell the difference between rums if you mix it with coke?

Hell it all would taste mostly like coke!

Escott

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I personally have to stay away from Brugal! Even just a little smooch on my cheek from someone who drank Brugal will give me a severe allergic reaction. First I get red spots on my face and neck, my breathing goes and than my hearth start pumping. If by mistake I drink it, my throat gets swollen! Nice eh! But I have no problem drinking all the other brands, even Macoris?so for me, there is something fishy about Brugal! :nervous:

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Escott said:
I was there about 1 year ago. They didn't have a big selection of anything in Havana. How can you tell the difference between rums if you mix it with coke?

Hell it all would taste mostly like coke!

Escott

Escott,

You where there right behind me and did not find a big selection of anything ... mmmmm...

Two points on this:

1) Yes the DR is much more stocked with items to buy if you have money, but in Cuba cigars and rum are available from the official Casas de Tabacco or Casas de Ron.. in my own exp these never run out of the good stuff..

2) In Cuba you might have to look around a bit more for stuff to be available in general.. if you're looking for better prices or alternative brands.. like local rums or local cigars of equal quality than those sold in the official stores..

But I bought my rum at the GAS STATION at the end of 23 y Malecon intersection.. this is right beside the Hotel Nacional.. I paid US$ 9.50 for a 0.7L bottle of reserva or 7 anos (both sold at the same price), which is a good price but def too much for Cuban rum in Cuba.. it is really a tourist brand.. as evidenced by the t-shirts that the Coco-drivers wear..

Like I said I mostly drank Mulatta rum.. and mostly mixed it with Coke.. but I can remember a few nights when I drank sweet Mulatta with a sweet Mulatta.. straight up from both and I had a hard time telling which was the sweeter..jejeje

Attached is the link to the havana club home-page:

http://www.havana-club.com/home.htm

Yes I drink my rum in cuba Libre.. and although tastes may differ I find that it does taste diff from normal Coke..

Currently I am drinking a lot of sweet French Negrita rum, which I can buy at 10 euro for 1L in France.. it's not good for drinking solo... but makes for an agreeable mix in Cuba Libre.. and is concurrent with the current live-in DR girlfriend..

For straight drinking I found that good cognac's (eps XO) and old malt whiskies satisfy my appetite for drinking pure spirits.. with some Marc's, Eau de vie or sometimes old Grappa's thrown in for good measure..

Has anyone also noticed that any spirit aged long enough on oak.. taste similar.. like oak.. sometimes it's hard to tell the diff between an old cognac and an old whiskey..

In the end there is no disputing individual taste.. I drink and smoke what I like (so should anybody else) and while there is some dispute possible about quality, at some point it becomes moot, because rums (and other spirits and cigars) of similar quality can taste very differently as we all know.. this is the express objective of the master blender and caters to taste of a specific public.. so in that respect to each his own..

Bachatadutchie

Jan 7, 2005
MerengueDutchie said:
Escott,

Yes I drink my rum in cuba Libre.. and although tastes may differ I find that it does taste diff from normal Coke..

Currently I am drinking a lot of sweet French Negrita rum, which I can buy at 10 euro for 1L in France.. it's not good for drinking solo... but makes for an agreeable mix in Cuba Libre.. and is concurrent with the current live-in DR girlfriend..

I would have to agree with Merengue on this one. There's a big difference in taste if you use the white Bacardi or Brugal extra viejo in your Cuba Libre. Although the difference in taste would obviously be bigger if you are drinking them straight.

For me, I usually mix my rum with coke, but that's mainly because the really good rums are not available here.

The Negrita actually is from Martinique and I use it mainly on Merenguedutchie (+current live-in DR friend) ;) It also makes a decent mamajuana if you mix it with cheap German gluhwein. My current live-in DR friend and I both agree that the smell and taste of the stuff are unsuitable for anything else.

So for me it's back to the Eur 18,- 0,7 liter Brugal extra viego. :cry:

Apr 26, 2002
Rum from the French islands is so different, I'm not sure it should be called "rum". They don't age their rum in wood. Rather, they purposely bring out the molasses flavor. It's interesting and worth a try for those who haven't tried it, but it's not to my taste.

Good rum in a cuba libre is just a waste. Sure, you can taste the difference depending on whether you use light or dark rum (even more so if you use French rum), but that's about it. All subtleties are lost. A $3 bottle of Carta Blanca (you can't miss it - EVERYONE hanging out at the corner colmadon is drinking it) works fine for this from a flavor perspective -- provided you can handle the consequences.

You may say that all drinks aged in wood taste the same. I would disagree. The subtleties are enormous depending on the type of wood, its previous use, the type of aging, the quality of the ingredients, the mix, etc. No, to me, most neutral (clear) spirits taste, more or less, the same - or at least try to taste the same - only varying in flavor by their imperfections.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Siboney

Trying out the Siboney red label here at home at the moment, pure, no ice.
I didn't like the very first glass a couple of days ago but now it tastes smoother and really nice.
I bought it for RD$ 184.95 at Plaza Lama in SD. Is everyone aware that the rhum prices inside the dominican airports are so incredibly much higher than in the highstreet? Here in Europe I am used to items being cheaper tax-free in the airport but there.... Brugal A?ejo or Extra Viejo: 12 U$ for a 70cl bottle if I recall well. I always used to buy an extra bottle in the airport but had too many already this time.
Bartolomeo

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Cuba Libre in the DR

You get value for money for your Cuba Libre in the DR! I noticed this time that they put much more rhum in your glass than over here in a bar in Europe.
There is almost no room left for the Coke. Sometimes they make it even too strong to be good.
Bartolomeo

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Try The Oriente on Cuba for a strong Cuba Libre.. jejejejeje..

Strongest Cuba Libre I ever drank was in Bayamo..pure raw Cuban rum (unmarked bottles) with only a dribble of Coke (which had to be bought in dollars)..

Now let me tell you about the Slivovitsch my former Yugoslavian neighbour used to bring home.. pure 80% proof.. we used to call it kerosine.. one glass was all my stomach could handle in the beginning..