Best spot to settle?

cdtjr

Mar 25, 2008
I'm new to the site and 1st time post. I'm looking to relocate to the DR but my question is where? Planning a trip there in mid May to check thing out over a 3 week period. Looking for advice so to narrow my search in area's to explore. My situation is I'm a US citizen working abroad in Russia on a 35/35 rotation, I can read & write in spanish but speaking it is weak to put it mildly, so is there an area where english is more frequently spoken till I'm up to speed?
I also need a place that is secure since I would be leaving my residence unattended a month at a time. Last, I would be moving my sailboat there and want to be close to a nice secure marina that is a good hurricane hole. I heard Luperon is one such area but not sure about the marinas there.

Thanks

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Conchman,

If I can ask? What do you charge per foot for slip fees and what extra services do you offer? 10 years ago I paid U.S. $10. per foot plus electric, per month, in San Francisco. What are the fees in Luperon for mooring/anchorage and what services available?

God help me... thinking of getting another boat.

Regards, Ringo

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Dont do it

Conchman,

If I can ask? What do you charge per foot for slip fees and what extra services do you offer? 10 years ago I paid U.S. $10. per foot plus electric, per month, in San Francisco. What are the fees in Luperon for mooring/anchorage and what services available?

God help me... thinking of getting another boat.

Regards, Ringo

The happiest two days of my boating life the day I bought it and the day I sold it.........however I did have a slight twinge to buy one last week.....eeek!

Skippy

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
So, what else is important to you cdtjr? How about where you can fly into? You don't want to spend a day or two travelling to your home.

Our next boat will belong to its captain! ;) Seriously, never again although I'll go sailing at the drop of a hat in anyone elses boat.

cdtjr

Mar 25, 2008
Thanks Chris. Airport is some what important since its 2 to 2 1/2 days just to get back from my location in Siberia, what airports there fly to Europe. I understand all to well about the boat subject but the one time I didn't have one I couldn't stand it and ther you have it, I've had one most of my adult life. Thankfully my job allows me to get plenty use of her when I'm off. Also what are the better sailing grounds around the island, I understand the north coast can be pretty treacherous to say the least. Is this just hype or does the south over better sailing grounds.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The waters around the DR are pretty treacherous. You need to figure out what you are about before you go sailing here - you need to know the weather and you need to know your boat. If you search the Luperon threads, there is much information there.

As far as Marinas are concerned, Luperon is not secure to leave your boat for long period of time, although it is a very excellent hurricane hole and a real nice place to hang out for a while. A poster by the name of Conchman can give you information on the other marina on the North Coast at Puerto Plata. There are no other marinas of note. On the South Coast, let's wait for the posters from there to give you the necessary info regarding marinas.

Perhaps the folks that fly to Europe can help you out in terms of flights to Europe .. where from and where to?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
everyone here on DR1 likes the north...while i and a few others like the south. I like being able to have both the beach AND the capital. I like having the urban environment available as well a "paradise" it sorta mixes it up a bit.

guyacanes is a nice spot. Not crowded but still close to the city.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Treacherous is a good word. I have no boat or desire, but I saw a small beach area, heading towards the outskirts of Sosua, towards Caberette. Have never seen a scarier site in my life. If I wanted to get rid of the wife and Mother-in-law, just take them on a beach picnic. The small beach area with the waves coming fully onto the beach, looking as if anything there would be dragged into the water, women, children, dogs etc. and I never over dramatise anything. I would suggest, go there first and make friends.

PS. And that was on a regular day.

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
keeping a boat

i looked into it a little and came away understanding

luperon
samana
cap cana

are the most viable choices in each place there are large developments going up with marinas, but there is a definite season

my choice might be cap cana if one is wants to go lux, you need to visit around though. i chose cabarete area and forgot about the boating.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Perhaps the folks that fly to Europe can help you out in terms of flights to Europe .. where from and where to?
Santo Domingo (Las Americas) airport is the location for daily scheduled direct flights to Europe (Iberia to Madrid and Air France to Paris).
Puerto Plata and Punta Cana airports have more choice of direct flight destinations (Manchester, Gatwick, Amsterdam, Brussels, Germany) but all just one or two flights a week schedules, or charters.

cdtjr

Mar 25, 2008
Thanks!

Much thanks to everyone. Will be there sometime in May, your info has been helpful.