Best way to get English Teaching Job ?

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
What is the most sure-proof ( if that exists) way to land an OK English teaching job in Dominican Republic preferably SD ? I am ready to take any certifications and have Native level English & College Degree... US citizen

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Also.... Whats are the chances of being approved for a temporary visa to able to work in the country ? I visit frequently and really love it.

I have college degree. English/Spanish fully fluent + More than 20 years experience in Food Service & Guest Services in 5 star hotels in NYC , Boston & Miami.

I have a about 40k savings in US and would simply like to able to work in a hotel and use my savings very smartly for a few years ( I will live with a friend rent free),.... Any feedback ??

Last edited:

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
There is no such thing as sure proof in the Dominican Republic. Look into private schools as they pay a decent salary. Google some private schools, check their FB pages, and they'll usually announce when they're looking for new teachers. Good luck

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
What is the most sure-proof ( if that exists) way to land an OK English teaching job in Dominican Republic preferably SD ? I am ready to take any certifications and have Native level English & College Degree... US citizen

Link embedded in image

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
you are better off teaching english to the kids that parents are well off than working for what some of these schools will paid you....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is another thread about people teaching Chinese students on line. Far more profitable than working for Dominican based schools.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Also.... Whats are the chances of being approved for a temporary visa to able to work in the country ? I visit frequently and really love it.

I have college degree. English/Spanish fully fluent + More than 20 years experience in Food Service & Guest Services in 5 star hotels in NYC , Boston & Miami.

I have a about 40k savings in US and would simply like to able to work in a hotel and use my savings very smartly for a few years ( I will live with a friend rent free),.... Any feedback ??

A number of the Jehovah Witness missionaries teach English online. They say they make enough to live here comfortably but couldnèt survive in the USA off the same money.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You should just come down and tutor
wealthy people's kids then maybe open
up a small English school in the future.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I stole this from an old Delores post, this info is still great

You could start researching these:

Carol Morgan School
New Horizon School
St. George School
St. Joseph School
St. Thomas School
St. Patrick School
St. Michael's School
Colegio Dominico-Americano
The Ashton School
Cathedral International School
The Community for Learning
Brilliant Minds School

looks those schools up on facebook

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
I stole this from an old Delores post, this info is still great

You could start researching these:

Carol Morgan School
New Horizon School
St. George School
St. Joseph School
St. Thomas School
St. Patrick School
St. Michael's School
Colegio Dominico-Americano
The Ashton School
Cathedral International School
The Community for Learning
Brilliant Minds School

looks those schools up on facebook
Thank You !!!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
If you have a teaching degree and experience, the schools listed above will hire you. Salaries range from about $12,000-40,000 US, give or take, depending on qualifications and experience.

If you have a Bachelors degree from a North American/British university in any subject & speak English as your first language (or with no obvious foreign accent), you can make $3000 US teaching English online through VIPKid. I have confirmed this with a friend who is doing this based in Ontario. But in addition to the education and speaking component, all you need is to pass an interview process, a clean record, and a fast internet connection.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
There is another thread about people teaching Chinese students on line. Far more profitable than working for Dominican based schools.

Can anyone help me find that thread? I've searched in various ways and can't find it. Thanks!

David B

Aug 31, 2017
If you have a teaching degree and experience, the schools listed above will hire you. Salaries range from about $12,000-40,000 US, give or take, depending on qualifications and experience.

If you have a Bachelors degree from a North American/British university in any subject & speak English as your first language (or with no obvious foreign accent), you can make $3000 US teaching English online through VIPKid. I have confirmed this with a friend who is doing this based in Ontario. But in addition to the education and speaking component, all you need is to pass an interview process, a clean record, and a fast internet connection.

At their maximum rate of $22/hour, that would be about 136 instructional hours a week, almost seven hours a day. As a retired teacher, I can tell you that is hardly realistic.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Hope you weren't a math teacher.

Haha obvious why I went into languages, isn't it, although I consistently rocked in algebra. My attention to detail is fading as I reach 70. I can hear my mother chastising me, "Wait until YOU get old." I meant 136 hours A MONTH. The facts remain the same: this would be an insane amount of time chatting in front of the laptop with Chinese kids every day. I noticed in the other thread about VIPKids the figure of $3000 a month was thrown out by someone originally from Ontario, living in the DR, and poopooed. Is it possible that figure is for Canadian dollars?

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Haha obvious why I went into languages, isn't it, although I consistently rocked in algebra. My attention to detail is fading as I reach 70. I can hear my mother chastising me, "Wait until YOU get old." I meant 136 hours A MONTH. The facts remain the same: this would be an insane amount of time chatting in front of the laptop with Chinese kids every day. I noticed in the other thread about VIPKids the figure of $3000 a month was thrown out by someone originally from Ontario, living in the DR, and poopooed. Is it possible that figure is for Canadian dollars?

I'm referring here to a five-day workweek not a six-day Dominican workweek, for which it would still be a boatload of instructional hours per day.