Best Way to Jarabacoa From Cabarete

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
If you're not hungry whilst up the top, Moca is famous for Mofongo. A driver took me for mofongo there on the way back from Cabarete to the capital and there were several places, reasonably priced and the mofongo was good. I've never managed to time it so that I'm hungry at the top of the mountain!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If you're not hungry whilst up the top, Moca is famous for Mofongo. A driver took me for mofongo there on the way back from Cabarete to the capital and there were several places, reasonably priced and the mofongo was good. I've never managed to time it so that I'm hungry at the top of the mountain!
Mofongo, supposedly a Puerto Rican dish - an acquired taste.
I think Mofongo started out as fufu from Africa. (mangu in DR)
It is a poor slave food of mashed starchy vegetables and I never acquired the taste.
And it is fattening as all hell.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Mofongo, supposedly a Puerto Rican dish - an acquired taste.
I think Mofongo started out as fufu from Africa. (mangu in DR)
It is a poor slave food of mashed starchy vegetables and I never acquired the taste.
And it is fattening as all hell.

I think it's a bit like marmite you either love it or hate it. There are plenty who love it though judging by how busy all those restaurants are.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I think it's a bit like marmite you either love it or hate it. There are plenty who love it though judging by how busy all those restaurants are.
There are quite a few places in San Cristobal that sell it. There are a few that offer "Mofongo con tocineta" that are best sellers. I wonder why. LOL I could eat that every day.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are quite a few places in San Cristobal that sell it. There are a few that offer "Mofongo con tocineta" that are best sellers. I wonder why. LOL I could eat that every day.
Never had it with bacon, but sounds delicious. There’s a small Adrian Tropical on Independencia near the Presidente factory where we often stop for a bite, and we usually order one of their mini-fongos as a side. Always pounding sounds from kitchen, and that place is always packed with locals all day long

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Never had it with bacon, but sounds delicious. There’s a small Adrian Tropical on Independencia near the Presidente factory where we often stop for a bite, and we usually order one of their mini-fongos as a side. Always pounding sounds from kitchen, and that place is always packed with locals all day long
I think Adrian Tropical's mofongo is the best I have ever had. IMO their garlic sauce is what everyone else is missing.

Reactions: AlterEgo