Best Way to Move Funds From US to DR Bank

kenshireen

May 21, 2022
usa
Super easy. I didn't know that.
But I also want to bring some US Dollars with me and want to know where is the best place to exchange? So my initial question is two pronged. Sorry for any confusion.

I want to establish a banking relationship in DR with the a bank easy to do business with AND I want to know the best place to convert dollars to pesos

kenshireen

May 21, 2022
usa
Use the check casher for either...... he does both..... oh Ken......perdido
no perdido just unfamiliar with some of the terminology. When you say "check cashier" I do not know if that is someone at a bank or at a casa de cambio.
The lingo is very common and understandable for those who live in DR but not always those who have not been involved in their banking business.

I can just bring a US personal check to a "check cashier" and he will cash it? That sounds like bad business but then I don't even know what a "check cashier" and how to find one

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I did this for many years. I used a casa de cambio that gave me better than market exchange rates for dollars. He changed many, many personal checks for me @ USD$9500.

One day I was in the bank talking to my friend the bank manager (sound familiar?) and she told me she would do the same for me, and send the bank messenger to pick up the check. How do you beat that?

The branch where we opened our accounts at BHD closed a couple of years ago. We knew the manager, she was friendly with my BIL, whose business was in the same plaza. Since then, we’ve used the branch at Sirena in San Cristobal. What a joke. The only one we know is the old guy who opens the door for everyone. He sees us and hustles us right to the counter

Reactions: CristoRey

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The branch where we opened our accounts at BHD closed a couple of years ago. We knew the manager, she was friendly with my BIL, whose business was in the same plaza. Since then, we’ve used the branch at Sirena in San Cristobal. What a joke. The only one we know is the old guy who opens the door for everyone. He sees us and hustles us right to the counter
That's unfortunate in case you really have something to need a face to face.

kenshireen

May 21, 2022
usa
en serio? Now you are talking to the sock ken. I'm sorry.
Claro.... Sky said "If you can open a US Dollar you can deposit checks from the US. Takes 2 weeks to clear, but works well with no expense." No idea what he was referring to

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
no perdido just unfamiliar with some of the terminology. When you say "check cashier" I do not know if that is someone at a bank or at a casa de cambio.
The lingo is very common and understandable for those who live in DR but not always those who have not been involved in their banking business.

I can just bring a US personal check to a "check cashier" and he will cash it? That sounds like bad business but then I don't even know what a "check cashier" and how to find one
That's right ... check to the casa de cambio

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Claro.... Sky said "If you can open a US Dollar you can deposit checks from the US. Takes 2 weeks to clear, but works well with no expense." No idea what he was referring to
Last Thurs at 3:48 PM I sent you a DM (as if I didn't have other things to do ) with 8 variations of "how things are priced here ."
Did you read it?? I guess not and for that "Im out"
as the sharks say on Shark Tank".

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Most of the questions "Ken" has can be found on DR1. I realize the search option can be cumbersome but there is a wealth of information to be found. It may be older info but most of the info still has value today. Maybe "Ken" is not "Ken". Maybe "Ken" is not really moving the DR, who knows. But DR1 members again proved to be worth their weight in gold in giving "Ken" and others some valuable information. So, IMO if someone does not want to take the advice of some very knowledgeable members here, it is their loss. We all just move on.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That's unfortunate in case you really have something to need a face to face.

We’ll need that soon. I dread it. We have to open a peso account to deposit proceeds from sale of Mr AE’s parents’ home. Apparently you can’t deposit a peso check into a dollar account.