Best way to receive my mail

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If going paperless is not an option then do some reverse thinking. How are you going to reply to the correspondence you need here?

The process that you are going to use to respond from here, use it to get your mail here. I think a official change of address to a company like Mail Boxes Inc (as an example) and have them forward your letters to your location here.

Reactions: Chala

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Hey folks i am moving to the DR (north coast) in a few weeks from the US. I am worried about how to get my mail delivered. I do not want to lose mail or have it misplaced. I do not have anyone to hold or forward my mail in the US. I will be using CPS to have packages delivered. Still haven't figured out how to have my personal mail delivered. Any suggestions? Thanks.
No idea about the north coast, but there are cities where regular snail mail actyally works well. Ask somone to send you a post card from the U.S. to see how long it takes to arrive, and IF IT DOES ARRIVE That way you can save courrier services for valuable stuff.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
No idea about the north coast, but there are cities where regular snail mail actyally works well. Ask somone to send you a post card from the U.S. to see how long it takes to arrive, and IF IT DOES ARRIVE That way you can save courrier services for valuable stuff.
Especially if it is sent as registered mail with a signature required.

Reactions: Chala and Aguaita29

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
OP,

Suggestion for you.

Have your mail delivered to a trusted friend/family member in the USA.

Have that person send the collected mail as a package once or twice a month (your choice) to the address (most carriers operate from either NY or Miami) of a local Courier in the USA.

Pick up your mail locally at your courier of choice.

This is my personal method.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
you could look into the Dominican postal service for your mail delivery....just go to the town you are moving to and ask "where is the post office"... dont be discouraged by the blank stares and laughter....be persistant until you notice the place you live has no house number on it...........

Don't joke !!!

Here in the middle of nowhere, the nearest village " post office" phones me when I have mail.

We had a 2nd Xmas in March or April one year when all the goodies sent by my scottish aunts arrived !!! Cadbury advent calendar, cadbury selection boxes, scottish tablet and shortbread, Xmas prezzies..... The whole works. They had done their due diligence and sent the parcels in September 🙄🙄

I also get postcards from friends and family and also voting material forwarded by the embassy in SD---- however it always arrives AFTER the vote has taken place..... buy hey! It gets here, has to count for something 😂😂😂

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Don't joke !!!

Here in the middle of nowhere, the nearest village " post office" phones me when I have mail.

We had a 2nd Xmas in March or April one year when all the goodies sent by my scottish aunts arrived !!! Cadbury advent calendar, cadbury selection boxes, scottish tablet and shortbread, Xmas prezzies..... The whole works. They had done their due diligence and sent the parcels in September 🙄🙄

I also get postcards from friends and family and also voting material forwarded by the embassy in SD---- however it always arrives AFTERthe vote has taken place..... buy hey! It gets here, has to count for something 😂😂😂
1613188426200.png

1613188231324.png

1613188336136.png

1613188361477.png

1613188516550.png

Chala

Aug 25, 2018
thank you
If going paperless is not an option then do some reverse thinking. How are you going to reply to the correspondence you need here?

The process that you are going to use to respond from here, use it to get your mail here. I think a official change of address to a company like Mail Boxes Inc (as an example) and have them forward your letters to your location here.
great point i have not really thought about responding to much...
OP,

Suggestion for you.

Have your mail delivered to a trusted friend/family member in the USA.

Have that person send the collected mail as a package once or twice a month (your choice) to the address (most carriers operate from either NY or Miami) of a local Courier in the USA.

Pick up your mail locally at your courier of choice.

This is my personal method.
I am already signed with CPS but like i mentioned in my OP friend or family members are not an option

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Don't joke !!!

I also get postcards from friends and family and also voting material forwarded by the embassy in SD---- however it always arrives AFTER the vote has taken place..... buy hey! It gets here, has to count for something 😂😂😂
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:But yes it's true. I regularly get mail here, but of course it's been sent like 6+months ago from Sweden. But it do get here. The funny thing though is that when I look at the postal stamps, for some reason it's been laying around in SD for like 3+ months. For example, a mail can be sent in June, it gets to SD in July and then it gets here in Sosúa in November/December.. :rolleyes:

jkronos

Jul 31, 2017
If it helps the OP, we use traveling mailbox as well. So far we been testing them here in the states and it pretty good. You get assigned a private mailbox for you and your family. In our test we created a temporary forwarding request with USPS so all our mail is been forward to them, so far no issues!

Usually 1 week worths of mail is a couple dollars to be mailed from them to us here in NJ; now the second part of our testing will be coming live in couple days, we are leaving for Santiago and will be staying there the entire Summer so lets see how reliable is the international shipping to our DR address.

You might want to start the process ASAP because it will take you a couple days to get it, you need to fill out a form from USPS giving them the authority to open your mail in your behalf plus you have to get the form notarized as well before you can upload back to traveling mailbox.