BID has aquired the old U.S. Consolate property

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I saw this in the news this morning. Anyone living in Santo Domingo has probably driven down Ave. Leopoldo Navarro at one point or another. When the embassy was there they had big pylons embedded in the road to offer protection against attacks.
It is quite a prime piece of real estate in the center of Gazcue.

Reactions: AlterEgo

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Those it includes the mansion and property where the US ambassador lives (or used to live)?

That was the spot of the US embassy and the residence of the US ambassador since the times of Trujillo. In fact, Trujillo's house used to be exactly where the National Library is now, literally right next door. The fence that limits the property along Cesar Nicolas Penson Street aupposedly is still the original of the now disappeared Trujillo's house. The entire property of the Plaza de la Cultura was owned by the Trujillo family. Angelita's house, the dictator's daughter and now a resident in Miami, Florida, used to stand where the National Theater is now. Nearby, where APEC university is now, still stands (though modified) the house where Julia Molina used to live, Trujillo's mother.

Ironically, the building where Antonio de la Maza's, the leader of the plan to kill Trujillo, apartment is located still stands and Trujillo's house (now the National Library) was visible from his terrace. No binoculars are needed considering how close it is.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Those it includes the mansion and property where the US ambassador lives (or used to live)?

That was the spot of the US embassy and the residence of the US ambassador since the times of Trujillo. In fact, Trujillo's house used to be exactly where the National Library is now, literally right next door. The fence that limits the property along Cesar Nicolas Penson Street aupposedly is still the original of the now disappeared Trujillo's house. The entire property of the Plaza de la Cultura was owned by the Trujillo family. Angelita's house, the dictator's daughter and now a resident in Miami, Florida, used to stand where the National Theater is now. Nearby, where APEC university is now, still stands (though modified) the house where Julia Molina used to live, Trujillo's mother.

Ironically, the building where Antonio de la Maza's, the leader of the plan to kill Trujillo, apartment is located still stands and Trujillo's house (now the National Library) was visible from his terrace. No binoculars are needed considering how close it is.

NALs, Do you have any information on the history of the 1 block square property with a large building on Calle Cervantes and Calle Lea de Castro?

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If you mean Villa Clara, I have no major details on that property. It is a symbol of Gascue. The place should be protected as a national monument of sort to prevent any major changes to the building or its gardens, if it isn't already.

The same should be done with the Munne house behind the Central Bank (ironically, in the block across the streetfrom the previous US embassy, now BID. lol There are also a few more houses that should be protected as many are fine example of Mid-Century Modern architecture, among the first of its kind in the DR. Given how many of these fine structures have been destroyed already, its a miracle these places still exist. People in general don't value Mid-Century architecture, yet Gascue has enough samples of this that with proper care and conservation it could become a Mid-Century modern attraction, similar to the Colonial Zone. I think most people pass by these places and not only don't value these structures, but also have no idea on the history of these places.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
If you mean Villa Clara, I have no major details on that property. It is a symbol of Gascue. The place should be protected as a national monument of sort to prevent any major changes to the building or its gardens, if it isn't already.

The same should be done with the Munne house behind the Central Bank (ironically, in the block across the streetfrom the previous US embassy, now BID. lol There are also a few more houses that should be protected as many are fine example of Mid-Century Modern architecture, among the first of its kind in the DR. Given how many of these fine structures have been destroyed already, its a miracle these places still exist. People in general don't value Mid-Century architecture, yet Gascue has enough samples of this that with proper care and conservation it could become a Mid-Century modern attraction, similar to the Colonial Zone. I think most people pass by these places and not only don't value these structures, but also have no idea on the history of these places.

I agree 100%. I have always thought a riding tour of Gazcue similar to the ChuChu Colonial would be a great way to draw attention to them. There are so many fascinating houses and mansions in the area than most people realize. Some very unique, like the building shaped like a ship and the "Casa de Raices" which are both on Ave. Doctor Delgado.

What really kills me are the houses that have been torn down just to make the property more attractive to developers.

I met an older gentleman who told me his father was the general manager of the La Romana Central and built Villa Clara. I believe it's a museum of some sort now

Last edited:

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
T
I agree 100%. I have always thought a riding tour of Gazcue similar to the ChuChu Colonial would be a great way to draw attention to them. There are so many fascinating houses and mansions in the area than most people realize. Some very unique, like the building shaped like a ship and the house with cement tree branch posts on the front porch.

What really kills me are the houses that have been torn down just to make the property more attractive to developers.

I met an older gentleman who told me his father was the general manager of the La Romana Central and built Villa Clara. I believe it's a museum of some sort now
They started building 4 stories apartment buildings in Gazcue. That was a shame.

Reactions: JD Jones

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

Gazcue should have been protected like the CZ

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

By the way NALs, the Munne House was purchased by Banco Central in 2017. They committed to restoring it so it's going to be around for a while.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
For anyone that may be interested... Here is the Casa de Vapor:
1601313362894.png

and the Casa de Raices:
1601313485339.png

Reactions: NALs and AlterEgo