Bird Watching in Puerto Plata and North Coast

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have never heard of such a group here.

One thing that surprised me quite a bit when I started to live in Cabarete was how few birds I would see compared to living in the northeast.
And I live just a few hundred yards away from El Choco Protected Wetlands. Maybe they all hang out there and rarely head closer to the coast where I am.

Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ok Thanks. We are from VT and MA. Where are you from - you mentioned Northeast?
Originally upstate NY near Albany follow by one year in Nashua, NH , then 10 years in CA before moving to Cabarete 20 years ago.
We both know horrible weather.

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
There a Facebook group
Called ....everything Sousa
I see a lot of bird pics
Maybe join group and ask where to go birdwatching

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Hi,

I am a pretty serious birder, and new to the PP area. Does anyone know if there is a birdwatching group here on the north coast?

Mark McEathron
As has been said, I don't know of any group in the area. I do watch the birds around my house most days. Often with morning coffee. Mourning doves, Hispanolan woodpeckers, Palm chats and more, usually a nice selection. You are welcome to join me in Sosua should you feel inclined. 829-270-8783 Mike

Reactions: thompstr

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

One thing that surprised me quite a bit when I started to live in Cabarete was how few birds I would see compared to living in the northeast.
And I live just a few hundred yards away from El Choco Protected Wetlands. Maybe they all hang out there and rarely head closer to the coast where I am.
That surprised me, too, especially almost the total lack of sea birds - no pelicans, sandpipers, or even seagulls. I've never been anywhere before where there was an ocean and no seagulls. Maybe seagull was once considered a delicacy here(?),.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Go down to the Caves of Cabarete early in the morning....just after sunrise and you will find a lot of bird there.... While doing a course with Medio Ambiente we went out in the morning and I was surprised at the amount of different species of birds flying around.....
Edit: You may need to pay for a guide to take you into the area.....

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
My sister and brother-in-law came to visit me in Punta Cana, many moons ago.
He is a pretty hardcore birder, so I had warned him in advance that there wouldn't be too much to see in that neck of the woods.
He had a good laugh at me when he confirmed that he had spotted no less than ten different species between the airport and the hotel.
I guess it goes to show that if you don't look, you won't see.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
While diving in Sosua Bay earlier this week, I observed a group of seagulls feeding on baitfish. A bit later a pair of frigatebirds were hunting in the same area. If you are not looking, you don't see what is there.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
While diving in Sosua Bay earlier this week, I observed a group of seagulls feeding on baitfish. A bit later a pair of frigatebirds were hunting in the same area. If you are not looking, you don't see what is there.
I live on the beach in Cabarete. In 16 years here I've never seen even one seagull. Maybe they're making a comeback(?). I have occasionally seen some frigate birds.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I live on the beach in Cabarete. In 16 years here I've never seen even one seagull. Maybe they're making a comeback(?). I have occasionally seen some frigate birds.
I am on the water all the time. I have been seeing seagulls on the ocean here for more than 20 years. But it is rare to see them on shore. The gulls here don't seem to eat garbage like the ones back on Long Island.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am on the water all the time. I have been seeing seagulls on the ocean here for more than 20 years. But it is rare to see them on shore. The gulls here don't seem to eat garbage like the ones back on Long Island.
I was just going to post that the only place I recall seeing seagulls is by the garbage dump near Puerto Plata.

Florave

Aug 1, 2021
Cabrera, DOM
Hi,

I am a pretty serious birder, and new to the PP area. Does anyone know if there is a birdwatching group here on the north coast?

Mark McEathron
Hi Vermontmark. Not aware of any bird group. My husband and I are from Watertown, MA and live in Cabrera (on our 3rd year). The North coast is very under surveyed since there are just not enough people birding in the area. The birding hotspots have not been well identified. Many seabirds/shorebirds we see up in Eastern US breed up there. Here we get them as visitors during migration and some stay for the northern winter while others move through further down West Indies and into South America (fewer resident gull/ tern/shorebird populations than we see in Eastern US). Rice fields/ flooded fields are an area where many shorebirds are hanging out also. Two days ago had a sighting of 487 Glossy ibises/54 Black-Neck Stilts/Pectoral Sandpipers/Limpkins/Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs to name a few all in a flooded rice field (https://ebird.org/caribbean/checklist/S119729559). The dense foliage makes detection challenging. Migrant birds are not singing which makes detection harder. In Puerto Plata I have not explored much but an area I found was the Estuario del Rio Yasica (https://ebird.org/caribbean/checklist/S101635922)which I accessed from the town of Veragua (google Wilson La Boca Restaurant and it will take you to this part of the estuary). It gets busy there but early when there are less people it is very nice for birds. Highly recommend ebird for finding where folks have found birds also just go out and explore.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They are definitely scavengers. I've seen hundreds of them around the garbage dumps in Philly and that's a good 50 miles inland from the Jersey shore. I've ever seen them on Sosua Beach either. They are not shy birds and any place I've been before where you're near the beach and there are tourists, restaurants, and food, there would always be dozens looking for scraps and handouts. Their relative scarcity here is really surprising.

vermontmark

Aug 23, 2022
Puerto Plata
Hi Vermontmark. Not aware of any bird group. My husband and I are from Watertown, MA and live in Cabrera (on our 3rd year). The North coast is very under surveyed since there are just not enough people birding in the area. The birding hotspots have not been well identified. Many seabirds/shorebirds we see up in Eastern US breed up there. Here we get them as visitors during migration and some stay for the northern winter while others move through further down West Indies and into South America (fewer resident gull/ tern/shorebird populations than we see in Eastern US). Rice fields/ flooded fields are an area where many shorebirds are hanging out also. Two days ago had a sighting of 487 Glossy ibises/54 Black-Neck Stilts/Pectoral Sandpipers/Limpkins/Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs to name a few all in a flooded rice field (https://ebird.org/caribbean/checklist/S119729559). The dense foliage makes detection challenging. Migrant birds are not singing which makes detection harder. In Puerto Plata I have not explored much but an area I found was the Estuario del Rio Yasica (https://ebird.org/caribbean/checklist/S101635922)which I accessed from the town of Veragua (google Wilson La Boca Restaurant and it will take you to this part of the estuary). It gets busy there but early when there are less people it is very nice for birds. Highly recommend ebird for finding where folks have found birds also just go out and explore.
Hello and thank you so very much for the detailed reply. I sincerely appreciate it. I am relatively new to ebird, just staring to explore it. we have only been here for two weeks. It is my plan to start entering sightings into ebird, and investigate further where people are seeing things. My spansh is very poor right now, so I am not confident in much off-road exploration for birds. ANOTHER QUESTION: what do you find to be the best field guide to use here. I am rather at a loss to know what to use.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Hello and thank you so very much for the detailed reply. I sincerely appreciate it. I am relatively new to ebird, just staring to explore it. we have only been here for two weeks. It is my plan to start entering sightings into ebird, and investigate further where people are seeing things. My spansh is very poor right now, so I am not confident in much off-road exploration for birds. ANOTHER QUESTION: what do you find to be the best field guide to use here. I am rather at a loss to know what to use.
I have a Princeton Field Guide, Bitds of the D,R, and Haiti.

nothing to ad

Jan 10, 2022
puerto plata

a local guy told me a couple years ago that the guys or people here would capture the wild birds and sell them to forigners thats why not many left now he said when he was young thats what you do to make some money thast why not many left hes like 50 so i guess he knows