Birds in DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Our home in NJ is always full of a wild assortment of birds. Bluebird, cardinals, blackbirds, sparrows, osprey, yellow finches, etc., in the air, and ducks, geese, etc on the ground. Our home in DR has none of these, despite being a much larger property. It struck me this morning how bird-free we are. An occasional hummingbird is about it.

Are we just in an odd area, or is this true for other areas here?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I noticed the lack of birds when I first moved to Cabarete and nothing has changed. Very few compared to upstate NY, but then there were very few in California where I lived just before moving here.

Reactions: AlterEgo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Here in Santiago we have finches, sparrows, hummingbirds and pigeons...
lots and lots of pigeons..

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Quite a few in our campo.

Lots and lots of humming birds, bobos, and lots of others that i forgot the names, including woodpeckers, owls and hawks ( maybe, guaraguao ? )

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Just for the record, in Christopher Columbus' logs of his first voyage in 1492, there is a part where he describes Hispaniola as the best thing since slice bread. He says that there were so many parakeets on the island, that they would fly and form "clouds" moving around in the sky.

I think the parakeet is still in danger of extinction.

792D2626-07F1-4A80-94B4-20F74C9CB4E2.jpeg

Now the Hispaniolan Parakeet lives in the green areas when its original territory was almost the entire island.

C22E84EF-488E-4001-A047-504FAA4D9356.jpeg

This was all Columbus saw of the island during the first voyage and he had witnessed along the entire coasts the "moving clouds of parakeets."

59E98D87-0CD9-472F-B11C-D238FFE4A06C.jpeg

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Quite a few in our campo.

Lots and lots of humming birds, bobos, and lots of others that i forgot the names, including woodpeckers, owls and hawks ( maybe, guaraguao ? )

We used to have lots of hummingbirds, I even bought a hummingbird feeder a few years ago. They even used to come onto my covered terrazzo where I have a colorful ceramic wind chime that attracted them. I’ve seen exactly one since January.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
In Samana we lots of those large turkey buzzards (not sure if they are called something else here as well as pelicans, heron, and a lot of sparrows the skim the pool at dusk. We have some smaller birds that like to torment the large turkey buzzards when they are flying. We have a lot of hummingbirds as well.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Just for the record, in Christopher Columbus' logs of his first voyage in 1492, thereis a part where he describes Hispaniola as the best thing since sliced bread. He msays that there were so many parakeets on the island, that they would fly and form "clouds" moving around in the sky.

I think the parakeet is still in danger of extinction.

View attachment 7406

Now the Hispaniolan Parakeet lives in the green areas when its original territory was almost the entire island.

View attachment 7407

This was all Columbus saw of the island during the first voyage and he had witnessed along the entire coasts the "moving clouds of parakeets."

View attachment 7408
The had some of those green parakeets at La Manzana, a Dominican restaurant at the base of the El Limon waterfall, but the last time I went, they were not there.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
One of the great things about living in el campo. Here in SC I have a couple dozen finches and maybe two pairs of bobos.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am plagued with the dreadful woodpeckers for about 6 months every year and as they attack the wooden parts of my home. There are hundreds of trees close by for them to drill holes into ,but they seem to prefer treated timber. Apart from them I have dozens of little hummingbirds with long beaks going from flower to flower and causing absolutely no trouble at all. I wish we had some parakeets .

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I am plagued with the dreadful woodpeckers for about 6 months every year and as they attack the wooden parts of my home. There are hundreds of trees close by for them to drill holes into ,but they seem to prefer treated timber. Apart from them I have dozens of little hummingbirds with long beaks going from flower to flower and causing absolutely no trouble at all. I wish we had some parakeets .
Buy a mated pair or two and you'll be surprised how quickly they increase.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
While living La joya closer to the river I would also see owls if I were out late at night.

Aug 21, 2007
Lots of birds in Jamao. Daily bird migrations every morning and evening from the farmers' grazing areas to their nests by the river. Songbirds throughout the day. Pigeons. Doves. (Maybe they are the same thing.) Black birds of some sort. Humming birds. Owls. Chicken hawks soaring in the skies.

Something is wrong where you live, Alter Ego. Maybe too close to SD?????

Reactions: CristoRey

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Lots of birds in Jamao. Daily bird migrations every morning and evening from the farmers' grazing areas to their nests by the river. Songbirds throughout the day. Pigeons. Doves. (Maybe they are the same thing.) Black birds of some sort. Humming birds. Owls. Chicken hawks soaring in the skies.

Something is wrong where you live, Alter Ego. Maybe too close to SD?????

We’re pretty far from Santo Domingo, we’re west of San Cristóbal, not very far to Peravia province. Maybe the Caribbean being so close? I occasionally hear them singing, but don’t see them.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I used to put out bird feeder for the finches, but they make an unbelievable mess when they're feeding.

• Wow

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
OIP.7RY5fWsxYsAu7NjHo6xqhQHaE8
there are flocks of these all over the DR. They are a type of Cuckoo. There lots of cattle egrets, hawks, kestrels.....etc in the campo where I have my garden.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
OIP.7RY5fWsxYsAu7NjHo6xqhQHaE8
there are flocks of these all over the DR. They are a type of Cuckoo. There lots of cattle egrets, hawks, kestrels.....etc in the campo where I have my garden.

I forgot about the cattle egrets. Our neighbor has been bringing his cows and calfs over since the drought dried up his pasture. They graze on our grass and tree trimmings. The white birds come along with them.