Blackouts explanation

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
AES-Andres-fuera-de-servicio-El-Dia-1024x682.png
AES Andres / El Dia

Two major national grid power generators are out for maintenance works. The coal-fired 356 MW Punta Catalina 1 is off the grid for 45 days as of 29 March 2022. And now the Andres AES gas-fired power plant for six days starting on 7 May 2022. This is the explanation for the power outages that are affecting the country as of late.

Read more in Spanish:Diario LibreEl DiaDiario Libre

11 May 2022

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That 45 day 'hiatus' will be a doozer............

We were off most the night in Cabrera..... back at 9am or so

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Imagine thinking about locating a manufacturing plant in the DR. Especially if it were one sensitive to fluctuations let alone constant outages.
You would be best to look elsewhere

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I'm already used to apagones, but I will never understand why are outages not caused by accidents/natural disasters/etc. considered to be "normal" by the operators? I accept that this is the case but even if all our neighbors are fully prepared for outages, how can the govt be sufficient incompetent (rant almost over, I have better things to do...) to consider putting whole cities out of electricity due to maintenance to be remotely okay? I say this as it appears that if not the whole city, a major part of POP was completely out until early hours of Wednesday...

Reactions: Auryn

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
One more note: With the increases in charged rates per kWh, our bill here is about to be more expensive than it would be for me back in my country (Scandinavia)... I have always always considered electricity here to be dirt cheap compared to where I'm from, but that's about to not be the case anymore... So my compaint is that we're about to pay much more here for electricity (compared to EU) even though when things are bad for EDEs, we receive a very shi**y service and are left without any...

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
One more note: With the increases in charged rates per kWh, our bill here is about to be more expensive than it would be for me back in my country (Scandinavia)... I have always always considered electricity here to be dirt cheap compared to where I'm from, but that's about to not be the case anymore... So my compaint is that we're about to pay much more here for electricity (compared to EU) even though when things are bad for EDEs, we receive a very shi**y service and are left without any...

Josh, I think you forgot about the "25% off the top" corruption factor.

Reactions: josh2203

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This was one of the problem Abinader garanteed he would fix.
Reminds me of when he said there wouldn't be increased electricity rates when they
dismantled the state run CDEEE and most these poor uneducated people believed him.
Sad.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Imagine thinking about locating a manufacturing plant in the DR. Especially if it were one sensitive to fluctuations let alone constant outages.
You would be best to look elsewhere
Every one I've seen has a generator. PPP.